Topic: Bike for cycling from Singapore to Malacca and beyond.

Posted on: 30th May 2015 9:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Hello everyone, this is my first post here!

I'm currently thinking of doing a solo bike trip from Singapore to Malacca (or maybe somewhere further) and would like to get equipped for this.

What kind of bicycle and other accessories should I be looking for? Any reccomendations on where would be a good place to buy them? I would like to carry my equipment on Panniers.

Looking forward to your advice! 
Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jun 2015 3:24 PM    Quote and Reply

What bike do you have now, you can do SG Malacca or several days extended in Malaysia on pretty much any bike within reason. Most important is that you get it set up so it's comfortable. So do a few extended day trips first and be prepared to change out grips, saddle, stem, bars etc. I run a shorter 15' raise stem on my roadbike when I tour, the extra 2" on the bar height makes it much more comfortable for longer days in the saddle. Tires are also important, go for higher volume lower pressure for comfort on a road type bike or none knobbies if on an MTB, Schwalbe Marathons are a good choice, 28mm Gator skins ona road bike (mine is a CX bike so I can fit 35mm marathon tires)

If you are planning on staying in hotels and eating at coffee shops / kampungs etc you can get something like a Topeak DXP trunk bag and beam rack for a couple of hundred $+. I Carry 2 spare changes of cycling kit, after ride clothes and thongs, couple of spare tubes and possibly a spare tire if using roadie tires, basic toolkit, CO2 or pump and quality bike lock, emergency gels food, first aid kit, wash kit (include a small tube of clothe handwash concentrate so you can wash your clothes in the hotel shower each evening). Total weight 5 to 6kg - I've done up to 8 days on a road bike round Malaysia with that set up I kow of guys who cycled all the way to Bangkok. You can also carryup to 9kg if you don't want to be so minimalist. Backpacks also work for some people but I don't like any more than 1.5Liter camelbak when I'm riding. Tirewise you can 

If you want a dedicated tourer and rack and panniers - A surly long haul trucker is a good choice for a traditional road style tourer - the Troll / Ogre are mor mountain bike style one. Although there is some overlap.
Both have the relevant mounting points and braze ons for racks and panniers. TR bikes can do a build for you but you are probably looking at $3K + for a basic build and a decent set of Tubus racks and Ortlieb front and rear panniers. You don't need this to start out, though.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 1st Jun 2015 7:06 PM    Quote and Reply

What bike you got now is important. Bike fit also very important. Let the bike do the carrying. Do not try to carry hydration kit for the trip (can be very tedious). If you can have those saddle with suspension springs at the front and the back, it would be most comfortable (I have no idea where to buy it). Cheap John did sell those saddle with rear suspension springs. Check if you can fit tire wider than 25mm for better comfort. Bigger wheelsets like 700C much more comfortable than 16-inch wheelsets. Avoid tubular tire (if any puncture, you can replace/repair clincher tire puncture much more easily along the route). Bike shop can be harder to find along the route than here. Carry a little more drinking water than you may need (weather can be much warmer along certain route). A little food/fruit, or energy boosters can help if the route shows up to be more undulating than expected.

Regular Forumer
6,183 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2015 12:57 PM    Quote and Reply

get a bike with comfortable geometry .... most likely a touring bike

I just saw that Hup Leong has the last 2 Jamis Bosanova touring bikes (49cm size) complete with disc brakes, Tiagra equipped for a ridiculously deep discounted price of S$800 ..... the specs on that bike alone normally retail for S$1300-1400

Just slap on a rear rack, get a couple of panniers, front/rear lights  and you're good to go  

Regular Forumer
284 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2015 4:24 PM    Quote and Reply

Hmmmm...recumbent?

Regular Forumer
276 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2015 7:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Shahmatt: Hmmmm...recumbent?"
I do wonder if its worth his effort to buy one for just one trip.

Regular Forumer
6,183 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2015 4:09 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by Shahmatt: Hmmmm...recumbent?"
I do wonder if its worth his effort to buy one for just one trip."

Why assume it will only be used for one trip?

Regular Forumer
276 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Jun 2015 5:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by edng: get a bike with comfortable geometry .... most likely a touring bike

I just saw that Hup Leong has the last 2 Jamis Bosanova touring bikes (49cm size) complete with disc brakes, Tiagra equipped for a ridiculously deep discounted price of S$800 ..... the specs on that bike alone normally retail for S$1300-1400

Just slap on a rear rack, get a couple of panniers, front/rear lights  and you're good to go  "

As long as a 49 fits, pretty damn small, almost kiddie size, probably why they are so cheap..... 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 4th Jun 2015 10:55 PM    Quote and Reply

http://Www.jayoe.com
A good reference for a long hauler.  

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 6th Jun 2015 7:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the info guys!

Unfortunately, I don't have a bike at the moment. That's why I was considering getting something that's suited for this purpose, and yet not too expensive. That's why I'm keeping a lookout at 2nd hand bikes. Seems like 2nd hand touring bicycles are few and far between. 

I was reading online and found out that people tend to go for 26" tyres because of easily availability along the road. Is this a big deal in Malaysia? Also, would road bikes be able to handle the weight if I were to add on racks for panniers?

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 6th Jun 2015 8:08 PM    Quote and Reply

For touring you need to be able to repair your bikes with components available in most local bike shops. This means mountain bike components should make up most of your bike. Road bike is for racing, not touring. It may be able to take you to Penang but will not be practical if you need to load with food, water, clothes, tents and tools. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings