Topic: Cycle from Sg to Malacca - on Road Bike OK?

Posted on: 11th Apr 2014 3:25 PM    Quote and Reply

No reply from TS? Can give us roughly the time you plan to go?

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Apr 2014 9:19 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi there. 
Was just trying to find out more when I started this thread.
I don't have time to go yet at the moment and for quite some time I think.
If those are interested and want to go soon, can gather together the people who have expressed interest and start a trip first.  

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 12:55 AM    Quote and Reply

To AKG77 and Paolo888,

if you both really want to ride to malacca . Just meet up and talk to each other to know whether you both can be together for maxium 6days if you plan to ride back to Singapore.

If you want to do it on weekend only, just take 1 day leave on friday and ride 2 days to reach to Malacca. After that take a bus to come back to singapore on Sunday. 

I went there by the west coast route. The traffic was very busy in JB like Zappadeedoohdah said but I believed that is because of Saturday. If you start your trip on friday, the traffic won't be that much compare to Saturday. 

As soon as you get far away from Jb central , the traffic will be lesser .  I rode to batu pahat on 1st day and reach malacca on 2nd day.  I stay at biz holtel (85RM) batu pahat and  Weilia hotel (100RM) malacca. Hotel at malacca charged me more because it was on weekend. There are other hotels which are cheaper but you need to check with the hotel before you go to know the availibility and keeping the bicycle in the room. 

if you want to make it in 2 days, you must be able to go 100 -150km per day. Otherwise, you will need 3days to reach Malacca. 

The whole trip of 3 days cost me about 200SGD that inclusive of hotel, food, fullbody oil massage, beers and 2 coach tickets back to JB larkin from Malacca. I rode back from JB larkin to Singapore.

I wore normal clothes and all the people that do cycle touring that I know  are also wearing normal clothes. So that you don't look so fancy and become center of attraction.   

here is my route

View road to Malacca in a larger map 

here is my blog   

if you guys really keen and need more info. ask me through PM. 

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 3:25 AM    Quote and Reply

I met a cyclist who said that he did the return journey in one day...left around 5:30 or 6:00 am...had lunch there...back in SG by evening. Is this possible? He is a pretty fast rider, though.

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 4:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by trek790: I met a cyclist who said that he did the return journey in one day...left around 5:30 or 6:00 am...had lunch there...back in SG by evening. Is this possible? He is a pretty fast rider, though."
Thats pretty good speed+stamina . Not sure I can do that if I drop 10Kg from my current weight .

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 4:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by marius79: To AKG77 and Paolo888,

if you both really want to ride to malacca . Just meet up and talk to each other to know whether you both can be together for maxium 6days if you plan to ride back to Singapore.

If you want to do it on weekend only, just take 1 day leave on friday and ride 2 days to reach to Malacca. After that take a bus to come back to singapore on Sunday. 

I went there by the west coast route. The traffic was very busy in JB like Zappadeedoohdah said but I believed that is because of Saturday. If you start your trip on friday, the traffic won't be that much compare to Saturday. 

As soon as you get far away from Jb central , the traffic will be lesser .  I rode to batu pahat on 1st day and reach malacca on 2nd day.  I stay at biz holtel (85RM) batu pahat and  Weilia hotel (100RM) malacca. Hotel at malacca charged me more because it was on weekend. There are other hotels which are cheaper but you need to check with the hotel before you go to know the availibility and keeping the bicycle in the room. 

if you want to make it in 2 days, you must be able to go 100 -150km per day. Otherwise, you will need 3days to reach Malacca. 

The whole trip of 3 days cost me about 200SGD that inclusive of hotel, food, fullbody oil massage, beers and 2 coach tickets back to JB larkin from Malacca. I rode back from JB larkin to Singapore.

I wore normal clothes and all the people that do cycle touring that I know  are also wearing normal clothes. So that you don't look so fancy and become center of attraction.   

here is my route

View road to Malacca in a larger map 

here is my blog   

if you guys really keen and need more info. ask me through PM. 
"
Thats great. You sure made in looks easy.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 7:54 AM    Quote and Reply

Paul, joel and I are planning to go together somewhere next month. Plan not concrete yet, but we more or less agreed on the time to go. Thanks for the tips marius, I believe will be useful to us.

Regular Forumer
96 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 9:33 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by akg77: Paul, joel and I are planning to go together somewhere next month. Plan not concrete yet, but we more or less agreed on the time to go. Thanks for the tips marius, I believe will be useful to us."

that's cool. just make it happen. if you have time, take 3 days . you will get planty of time to explore every city which you stay or rest. 

just take the motobike lane and ride in single line profile. you should be safe on the traffic. I remembered 80% of the raod is smooth. 

goo da luck bros. 

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 11:52 AM    Quote and Reply

What was your average speed when you are going up Malaysia?

I am keen but so far my average speed is generally only about 26 to 28.

I am weak at upslope :)

Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 22nd Apr 2014 12:11 PM    Quote and Reply

Can join us if you want...we plan to go during vesak day weekend and taking it easy on the ride

Regular Forumer
96 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings