Topic: Cycle from Sg to Malacca - on Road Bike OK?

Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 1:54 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi,
Thinking of cycling from Sg to Malacca. 
I wonder if it is ok to do this on a road bike?
I see most people use MTB type or Hybrid bike for touring.
Not sure if road bike is OK. 

Also, for those who have done this, can you advice me on any good place to stay over? 
I suppose I'll have to stay over one night on the way. 
I would be taking this at a leisurely pace... lots of breaks for food/ photo, etc.
No rush. 

If anyone would like to join, you can indicate interest too. 
But I don't know when I would do this. 
Just planning ahead now. 
I need to do some training and also need to get some gear. 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 8:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Hey there. I'm interested. Been thinking of going on malaysian trip as well but no kakis. My bike is a hybrid but changed some stuff so now looked more like a road bike.

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 8:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi! Am interested if this can be during the long weekend (end April/early May).  Are you planning to ride there and back?  Will be riding a mtb or a foldie.  

cheers!
Paul 

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 9:40 AM    Quote and Reply

I've stayed at the crystal inn in batu pahat a few years ago - they let me bring my bike up to the room and it was pretty cheap and clean - RM70 - may be more now.
Personally I don't really like cycling up route 5 on the west coast - it's very busy. I generally stick to the east coast these days. 
try PMing user  Marius79 he did sg Malacca last year and may have more up to date info than me.
A road bike will be fine - if you are not racing you may want to put something like 28mm touring tires (something like schwalbe marathons racers) rather than running road slicks - more comfortable and puncture resistant but will be ok even on racing tires - roads are pretty good in Malaysia

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 9:45 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Paolo888: Hi! Am interested if this can be during the long weekend (end April/early May).  Are you planning to ride there and back?  Will be riding a mtb or a foldie.  

cheers!
Paul "

If this is the same Paolo from meetup I can almost guarantee you will have a fun time. 

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 4:02 PM    Quote and Reply

https://www.facebook.com/the.epic.ride

Regular Forumer
361 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 9th Apr 2014 4:57 PM    Quote and Reply

Huh? 

Trek790: not quite sure what you're are implying; so I'll take it as a compliment  ;-) 

kman: am afraid don't have the "engine" for epic ride.  ;-( 

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Apr 2014 11:14 AM    Quote and Reply

hey!! I am keen too! in fact thinking of going either this coming long week end or June !
I am also on a road bike...23 tire and just learn that 28 will not fit..

I also have a Tern link P24 with full racks that maybe suitable. haven't not really decided which bike to take, but for now...likely my roadbike.

I already started preparing my gears... got a set of thule rack to mount onto my roadbike too!

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Apr 2014 1:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Are you sure your bike won't take 28mm tires- most road bikes will, limiting factor is usually the brake calipers. Campy, Shimano and SRAM road brakes will are all fine with 28's. Some brands (like schwalbe marathons) are wider than the published 28 others like panaracer T Servs are slightly narrower. Also 28mm is fine on 14 or 15mm (internal width) rims - I've run 35mm marathons on mine but am using canti brakes.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 10th Apr 2014 8:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Was told by Rodalink and few other LBS it won't fit.

I am riding a Colnago MOVE. Plan to put the 28mm onto a Roft Prima Alpha of 21mm width.

Almost bought this online :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sg/en/continental-touring-plus-bike-tyre/rp-prod30218

posted a question here too :

http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?fid=29&tid=71824&loc=active&cb=showforum.php%3Ffid%3D29%26page_id%3D1&highlight= 

Regular Forumer
15 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Apr 2014 6:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah:

Are you sure your bike won't take 28mm tires- most road bikes will, limiting factor is usually the brake calipers. Campy, Shimano and SRAM road brakes will are all fine with 28's. Some brands (like schwalbe marathons) are wider than the published 28 others like panaracer T Servs are slightly narrower. Also 28mm is fine on 14 or 15mm (internal width) rims - I've run 35mm marathons on mine but am using canti brakes.

"
Only the rear Campy on my road bike not compatible with Continental 700 X 28C. Other brands no issue (slightly smaller circumferences when inflated to the sidewall specified maximum inflation pressure).

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings