Topic: Cycling in perth

Posted on: 2nd Nov 2013 7:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys, I am going perth this nov for holiday. i was thinking to bring my roadie to have a experience riding overseas. Is this anything i need to be awared of? Any interest group there? I will be at fraser road north canningvale.thx guys.

30fortycycling.com
Regular Forumer
206 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Posted on: 3rd Nov 2013 9:14 AM    Quote and Reply

no one?

30fortycycling.com
Regular Forumer
206 posts

Posted on: 3rd Nov 2013 10:27 AM    Quote and Reply

I believe there must be some Australian cyclists around (ANZA members). Could be too busy cycling to come here.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Nov 2013 10:35 PM    Quote and Reply

hey mate! i'm not too far out from canning vale and would be happy to take you along for a ride around perth if our time works out. would you prefer flats or hills?

Regular Forumer
16 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Australia
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Nov 2013 10:59 PM    Quote and Reply

If you have time to spare., can also check out new gears at George's Bike Shop in nearby Willetton suburb. By the way, how do you intend to bring your bike there?

Regular Forumer
59 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Nov 2013 11:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by NightOwl: If you have time to spare., can also check out new gears at George's Bike Shop in nearby Willeton suburb. By the way, how do you intend to bring your bike there?"

hi, i am putting my bike in a evoc bag. is it ok? must i make sure theres no single grain of dirt? hows the weather there now?

30fortycycling.com
Regular Forumer
206 posts

Posted on: 5th Nov 2013 12:51 AM    Quote and Reply

Please check with your airline in advance to ensure that you can check in a bag of that size. It would be a good start if the bag is manually carried away at the check-in counter. Keep your fingers crossed if it went into the baggage grinder.

There is no guarantee that baggage handlers won't toss the bag. So, line the internal of the bag with two layers of bubble wrap before you place the bike frame. Restrain the fork, crank arms, bundle the movable or loose parts with bubble wraps and fill up the void spaces with bubble wrap. Make sure nothing move freely inside the bag when it is closed.

Tyres must be relatively clean if you are worried about scratches. It's summer time, so weather downunder in Perth is similar to SG, slightly cooler, minus the rain and humidity.

Regular Forumer
59 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Nov 2013 5:50 AM    Quote and Reply

hey superek_4,
an evoc bag should be fine. your bike will be checked in under odd-sized baggage. i highly recommend you get some insurance to cover your bike, especially when you travel. a few things to remember when you travel by air with your bike:

1. deflate and clean your tyres
2. remove pedals and secure the bike in the box well
3. co2 canninsters are not allowed (even in checked in baggage)

weather wise, it's been pretty windy recently. we've been getting winds of up to 80km/h in recent days, making riding a little bit more challenging out there. other than that, the weather has been sunny for the most part. we're breaking into summer and if you're gonna come later this month or next, temperatures will be soaring into the high 30's.

we've got bike lanes most of the places and the drivers are generally courteous to cyclists, though you still have to check while you ride.

when do you plan to head down here? :) 

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Australia
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Nov 2013 9:56 AM    Quote and Reply

I was working down in Perth for a few months - took a bike in a bike box with me and had zero issues on SQ - as long as your bike box is within the IATA maximum dimensions (which they are) there are no additional charges other than if you exceed the weight limits. I was 8kg over in total but they let me off. Aussie customs in Perth had me open it up - asked me if it was new - I said no they said OK and that was that.
I took my full sus MTB with me and did the Munda Biddi trail with some work mates -so can't really comment on the road bikingthere. Can highly recommend the Munda Biddi though well worth it - apart from some sections where they have surfaced the track with pea gravel which is probably the worst surface possible for a cycle track and generally a pretty retarded thing to do - saw a few people crash because of it

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 5th Nov 2013 11:01 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: I was working down in Perth for a few months - took a bike in a bike box with me and had zero issues on SQ - as long as your bike box is within the IATA maximum dimensions (which they are) there are no additional charges other than if you exceed the weight limits. I was 8kg over in total but they let me off. Aussie customs in Perth had me open it up - asked me if it was new - I said no they said OK and that was that.
I took my full sus MTB with me and did the Munda Biddi trail with some work mates -so can't really comment on the road bikingthere. Can highly recommend the Munda Biddi though well worth it - apart from some sections where they have surfaced the track with pea gravel which is probably the worst surface possible for a cycle track and generally a pretty retarded thing to do - saw a few people crash because of it"

HahaYes, the MB trail is a good one. If you're into MTB, you need to head to the Gunjin Trail up in Kalamunda and the Goatfarm... two awesome MTB places mate!  

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Australia
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Nov 2013 1:56 PM    Quote and Reply

hi, thx for the reply i am coming on the 18th nov till 2nd dec

Quote:
"Formerly posted by lastwheel: hey superek_4,
an evoc bag should be fine. your bike will be checked in under odd-sized baggage. i highly recommend you get some insurance to cover your bike, especially when you travel. a few things to remember when you travel by air with your bike:

1. deflate and clean your tyres
2. remove pedals and secure the bike in the box well
3. co2 canninsters are not allowed (even in checked in baggage)

weather wise, it's been pretty windy recently. we've been getting winds of up to 80km/h in recent days, making riding a little bit more challenging out there. other than that, the weather has been sunny for the most part. we're breaking into summer and if you're gonna come later this month or next, temperatures will be soaring into the high 30's.

we've got bike lanes most of the places and the drivers are generally courteous to cyclists, though you still have to check while you ride.

when do you plan to head down here? :) "

30fortycycling.com
Regular Forumer
206 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings