Topic: Singapore to Kota Tinggi ride 8 June to 9 June

Posted on: 7th Jun 2013 7:26 PM    Quote and Reply

have a safe trip.  

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jun 2013 8:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Yes, have a safe and fun trip!

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 10:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Trip report?  :)

Regular Forumer
599 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 5:01 PM    Quote and Reply

The solo SG - Kota Tinggi - Sg Renggit ride was fantastic!

The pleasureable Day 1

Left on Saturday morning. The ride into JB was relatively smooth, despite the big traffic jam at the car lanes. From JB to KT town, it was mild rolling hills all the way, which was quite pleasureable. And it was long long stretches of roads without traffic lights! In general, I find that cycling in JB felt safer than in SG. The berth given by drivers are quite wide. And it helps that most part has pretty wide road shoulders. Distance from JB to KT town was about 40km.

I didn't pre-book any hotels, so just rode into town and search for one. The slightly better ones: Mayres and others, were fully booked for the night. But I was quite lucky to find a cheap hotel near Mayres - RM68 a night! From KT town, I wanted to ride to the waterfalls to see for myself what is the big attraction all about. Probably 10 - 15km into the ride, the sky turned threateningly dark, and the thought of getting stucked in the plantation area till pass nightfall alone wasn't exciting at all. Paddled like mad to quickly reach back to hotel, and heavy downpour started.

Food wasn't fantastic. Asked couple of locals for food recommendations. And no one could pinpoint the type of food or stall/ restaurant that is the most famous in KT. Also asked around if there are any pubs in town. And there is none! The only thing mildly exciting about KT is the firefly tour which I skipped due to the rain. And I will rather spend my time watching bar flies anytime over watching fireflies....

Total distance: 90km
Ave speed on flats: 32km/h
Speed on climbs: 22km/h (some stretch as low as below 20km/h, yeah I'm a lousy climber)

Day 2 was tough!

About 5 or 10km after departing KT town, the ride got tough. It was endless rolling hills. Almost continuous ups and downs. For over 20km. Road conditions wasn't very good too, and my super hard front tire was bounced wildly. I pumped up to over 120 before I left SG. And I bonked out after the 1st 30km or so. Climbing isn't my forte. Couple that with weak legs and the fatigue from the previous day ride. 

Nearing Desaru, the rolling hills got slightly better. But had to contend with the head wind, which at some stretches was quite bad.

Finally reached Sg Renggit. And the lobsters and crabs were waiting for me! Linked up with my family there, and had a good hearty seafood spread! And that was the best part of the trip.

From Changi Village, it was a slow slow 30km ride home.

Total distance: 100km
Ave speed: 25km/h 

Regular Forumer
70 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 5:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the report!  

But, why was the ride solo? I thought that you had at least two others interested?

What was your load like?  

Regular Forumer
599 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jun 2013 6:20 PM    Quote and Reply

The other 2 bros couldn't join the ride. So just do it alone.

My load was light. Just a spare set of clothings, 2 x tubes and tires, tool kit, hand pump, and an extra 1.5l of water. 

Regular Forumer
70 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2013 9:50 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ssuperzonic: The other 2 bros couldn't join the ride. So just do it alone.

My load was light. Just a spare set of clothings, 2 x tubes and tires, tool kit, hand pump, and an extra 1.5l of water. "

SWEET ! Solo ride shiok right, heeheehee :) 

Regular Forumer
152 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jun 2013 11:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ssuperzonic: The solo SG - Kota Tinggi - Sg Renggit ride was fantastic!

The pleasureable Day 1

Left on Saturday morning. The ride into JB was relatively smooth, despite the big traffic jam at the car lanes. From JB to KT town, it was mild rolling hills all the way, which was quite pleasureable. And it was long long stretches of roads without traffic lights! In general, I find that cycling in JB felt safer than in SG. The berth given by drivers are quite wide. And it helps that most part has pretty wide road shoulders. Distance from JB to KT town was about 40km.

I didn't pre-book any hotels, so just rode into town and search for one. The slightly better ones: Mayres and others, were fully booked for the night. But I was quite lucky to find a cheap hotel near Mayres - RM68 a night! From KT town, I wanted to ride to the waterfalls to see for myself what is the big attraction all about. Probably 10 - 15km into the ride, the sky turned threateningly dark, and the thought of getting stucked in the plantation area till pass nightfall alone wasn't exciting at all. Paddled like mad to quickly reach back to hotel, and heavy downpour started.

Food wasn't fantastic. Asked couple of locals for food recommendations. And no one could pinpoint the type of food or stall/ restaurant that is the most famous in KT. Also asked around if there are any pubs in town. And there is none! The only thing mildly exciting about KT is the firefly tour which I skipped due to the rain. And I will rather spend my time watching bar flies anytime over watching fireflies....

Total distance: 90km
Ave speed on flats: 32km/h
Speed on climbs: 22km/h (some stretch as low as below 20km/h, yeah I'm a lousy climber)

Day 2 was tough!

About 5 or 10km after departing KT town, the ride got tough. It was endless rolling hills. Almost continuous ups and downs. For over 20km. Road conditions wasn't very good too, and my super hard front tire was bounced wildly. I pumped up to over 120 before I left SG. And I bonked out after the 1st 30km or so. Climbing isn't my forte. Couple that with weak legs and the fatigue from the previous day ride. 

Nearing Desaru, the rolling hills got slightly better. But had to contend with the head wind, which at some stretches was quite bad.

Finally reached Sg Renggit. And the lobsters and crabs were waiting for me! Linked up with my family there, and had a good hearty seafood spread! And that was the best part of the trip.

From Changi Village, it was a slow slow 30km ride home.

Total distance: 100km
Ave speed: 25km/h "

Day 2 by this Route 92? yeah alot upslopes and scenerys to see. well done.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jun 2013 12:07 PM    Quote and Reply

Welcome home, and your extra 1.5L of water

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jun 2013 3:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: Welcome home, and your extra 1.5L of water"

Thanks bro. The extra 1.5L was quickly finished nearing Desaru (probably 40km). Stopped at the plantation roadside stall for a rest and top up. Btw the time I got to Sg Renggit, the additional 1.5L of 100 Plus was completely empty.

And yeah, isotonic drink is very essential...

Regular Forumer
70 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings