Topic: Riding in Hong Kong

Posted on: 17th May 2013 4:52 PM    Quote and Reply

This is a video of me riding in Hong Kong last month:
http://youtu.be/3YS2bvrr73o

For those who find themselves in Hong Kong for leisure/business, I highly recommend you spend at least half a day away from the hustle and bustle of the mad city and do some good riding at Tai Lam Country Park.

I wanted a guide to show me the best the national park has to offer and needed a bike, so I contacted Steve @ http://www.crosscountryhk.com/. He picked me up from Tsing Yi MTR station and drove to the top of Tai Mo Shan (Big Hat Mountain) to begin the ride.

The terrain was much more rocky than I had expected. There were several very narrow single track sections littered with rocks and off camber terrain at the beginning, with a drop of a few hundred metres if you made a mistake. The rest of the ride was challenging until you reach the reservoir at the bottom where you can ride a shared off road path before the end at the Gold Coast Marina.

The total descent of 914metres and total ascent of 454metres from starting at the top of the mountain which means that you will be climbing half of the total riding time. So if you plan to bring your own bike, a trail centric bike would be ideal if you are a weak climber. As I mentioned that the terrain can get quite rocky at times, an all-mountain bike would be a more comfortable choice if you like going down fast.

Just like Singapore, it is amazing to find such good riding spots in an urban jungle!

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 17th May 2013 11:35 PM    Quote and Reply

How much did it cost you?

Old Salt Forumer
26 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th May 2013 1:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Quite abit more than X-Biking at Chiang Mai since Hong Kong is not exactly a cheap place.

This was a 1 to 1 tour as the guide prefers personalised tours or only groups who are acquainted with each other to ensure the correct pace for each tour. Total cost (half day guide, shuttle to top of mountain, return trip by cab for guide to bring bikes back to the top and bike rental) was just under 180SGD.

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 18th May 2013 12:10 PM    Quote and Reply

oic. ok. Thanks!

Old Salt Forumer
26 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th May 2013 4:46 PM    Quote and Reply