Topic: Solo Touring in Western Australia Perth and maybe more........

Posted on: 18th May 2013 3:41 PM    Quote and Reply

A Long haul trucker with something like 1,75" (or 2" if they will fit) Schwalbe marathon Duremes or XR's would be fine on the Munda Biddi trail - I saw a guy riding it on drop bar surly cross check when we were on it

You sure on the wind - it seemed to be constantly off the southern ocean south westerly at that time of year when I was in Perth? damn cold too

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 18th May 2013 4:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Thank bro i'll continue to check on the wind before i buy the air ticket next month!!

There is alway a thousand reason to stop you from hitting the road.
But you only need one reason to be on one.
Enjoy the Moment on It and experience where it bring you to.
Live a Colourful Life! 
Keep Cycling!
Regular Forumer
47 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 18th May 2013 5:37 PM    Quote and Reply

I think from the experience of the guy that cycled the world in BBC documentary, if you intend to ride on a saddle for that kind of distance, get a very good pair of cycling shorts and some cream for the blisters on the butt.

Be careful when you pitch tent in the wild, the next morning you may discover your bags covered in swarms of spiders. Wish you good luck and have lots of fun. If you could make a video of your trip and share it with us, it would be very much appreciated. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th May 2013 8:58 PM    Quote and Reply

At least a couple of padded shorts and as for cream, I suggest Bag Balm but heard that Chamois Butt'r is good too. Unfortunately, BB comes in a tin the size of your fist so it may be a bit of a pain to bring along unless you put it in a separate container. Too bad I left mine back home or else I could have given you some to use.

As for water, you may consider water bladders or MSR Dromeday bags. I've only used the latter but they pack up nice and tight. 

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th May 2013 12:13 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by naturebeauty:

To all good brothers and gurus, 

A little of background info to begin with, I'll be having my leave clearing in maybe late June/ early July depending on my boss arrangement( he is still thinking) I'll be going for a Full Solo Expedtion that required me to sleep off the tent in most of the night.

If my leave granted is 3 weeks, I'll be heading Ade from Perth via Nullabur Plain. Whole expedition maybe about 2400km to 2600km

Else I'll be heading a round in Perth to Margaret River, Albany then north up to Northam before turning back in Perth which maybe about 1500km to 1700km

Wish to seek your wisdoms on the following:    

Roadhouse along these route?

Thing to take note of while travelling on these route?

Animals and insect I need to be aware of?        

Food and Water supply?

Any other useful information while travelling there.

Do let me know if there is things I should take note of and I'll love to update you guys on the trip as and when it is possible.

Till then thank you in advance of all the help you guys are sharing!

Cheers
Paul Ang            

"

very interesting trip but I think that you need about a month to reach there.  

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th May 2013 9:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by marius79:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by naturebeauty:

To all good brothers and gurus, 

A little of background info to begin with, I'll be having my leave clearing in maybe late June/ early July depending on my boss arrangement( he is still thinking) I'll be going for a Full Solo Expedtion that required me to sleep off the tent in most of the night.

If my leave granted is 3 weeks, I'll be heading Ade from Perth via Nullabur Plain. Whole expedition maybe about 2400km to 2600km

Else I'll be heading a round in Perth to Margaret River, Albany then north up to Northam before turning back in Perth which maybe about 1500km to 1700km

Wish to seek your wisdoms on the following:    

Roadhouse along these route?

Thing to take note of while travelling on these route?

Animals and insect I need to be aware of?        

Food and Water supply?

Any other useful information while travelling there.

Do let me know if there is things I should take note of and I'll love to update you guys on the trip as and when it is possible.

Till then thank you in advance of all the help you guys are sharing!

Cheers
Paul Ang            

"

very interesting trip but I think that you need about a month to reach there.  "

Yup it a long journey but I hope I can make it back less than that if not my boss would say I dont need to return liao hhahaha but thanks for the heads up I'll take note of the timing issue

Live a Colourful Life! 
Keep Cycling!
Regular Forumer
47 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th May 2013 9:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by trek790: At least a couple of padded shorts and as for cream, I suggest Bag Balm but heard that Chamois Butt'r is good too. Unfortunately, BB comes in a tin the size of your fist so it may be a bit of a pain to bring along unless you put it in a separate container. Too bad I left mine back home or else I could have given you some to use.

As for water, you may consider water bladders or MSR Dromeday bags. I've only used the latter but they pack up nice and tight. "

Thanks Bro for the advice wish to check with you wat is the cream you had mentione can the vasline do the same job?

If not where can i buy those stuff?

Yup i got a MSR Dromebag and they are Good~~~~

Live a Colourful Life! 
Keep Cycling!
Regular Forumer
47 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th May 2013 9:32 PM    Quote and Reply

I have never heard of Vaseline being used for chafing. I guess it can be but ... ???

I use Bag Balm

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Another popular item is Chamois Butt'r

http://chamoisbuttr.com/

You can also try Assos Chamois Cream which seems to be a new product and is very expensive.

I don't know where in SG you can get any of the above stuff. I may be ordering stuff from REI who is having a sale on this week and they carry Chamois Butt'r so I can always add that on to the order. I will post here in this thread if I am going to order stuff.

Alternatively, I think that Wiggle has it.

Regular Forumer
599 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th May 2013 10:09 PM    Quote and Reply

you can consider to bring the biolite stove .i wish to have one for myself for mountaineering.

gps watch  for safety reason,  so that if you stuck somewhere for more than 2days, someome can come after you. at least they can bring back something else. touch wood.  this is very important for me as i dont want ppl to get shock or unprepare. 

Since you are going for that long trip alone which you need to sleep in the tant, i assume that you have necessory survival and first aids skills. 

make very good quality documemtry video. You might able to sell it to local tv channel. that may cover your trip expense :D.

good luck with the trip. let us hear the stories. I will be waiting for your stories.

cheers.

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th Jul 2013 5:33 PM    Quote and Reply

TS, so what happened?

Regular Forumer
599 posts

Singapore