Topic: Solo Touring in Western Australia Perth and maybe more........

Posted on: 17th May 2013 11:53 AM    Quote and Reply

To all good brothers and gurus, 

A little of background info to begin with, I'll be having my leave clearing in maybe late June/ early July depending on my boss arrangement( he is still thinking) I'll be going for a Full Solo Expedtion that required me to sleep off the tent in most of the night.

If my leave granted is 3 weeks, I'll be heading Ade from Perth via Nullabur Plain. Whole expedition maybe about 2400km to 2600km

Else I'll be heading a round in Perth to Margaret River, Albany then north up to Northam before turning back in Perth which maybe about 1500km to 1700km

Wish to seek your wisdoms on the following:    

Roadhouse along these route?

Thing to take note of while travelling on these route?

Animals and insect I need to be aware of?        

Food and Water supply?

Any other useful information while travelling there.

Do let me know if there is things I should take note of and I'll love to update you guys on the trip as and when it is possible.

Till then thank you in advance of all the help you guys are sharing!

Cheers
Paul Ang            

There is alway a thousand reason to stop you from hitting the road.
But you only need one reason to be on one.
Enjoy the Moment on It and experience where it bring you to.
Live a Colourful Life! 
Keep Cycling!
Regular Forumer
47 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 17th May 2013 12:11 PM    Quote and Reply

Beware of snakes and spiders.

Regular Forumer
468 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th May 2013 1:12 PM    Quote and Reply

Thank Bro Poland for the advice!

I'll take note of that!^^

Live a Colourful Life! 
Keep Cycling!
Regular Forumer
47 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th May 2013 1:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Are you going on a road bike, touring bike or MTB?
I was working in Perth for about four months last year may/august; I would highly recommend the Munda Biddi trail on an MTB or touring bike with widish tires.  I did sections of this in 3 or 4 day stints over weekends by taking a friday / monday off. It's now open all the way from Munderang to Albany and is well over 1000km and no cars its great
It starts off about 30Km out of Perth at munderang - you can get transport for you and your bike from Perth airport (you can stay a couple of days in perth if you want and they will store your bike and pick you up - i didnt use this but I think its about AUD$150) or you can just use public transport.
on the sections I did there are towns along the way every 100km or so where you can get expensive and basic accomodation or very expensive nice accommodation.  but Munda Biddi has free huts / campsites along the way - it will be pretty quiet at that time of year so there will be no issues with them being full when you arrive - even at weekends we had them to ourselves or 1 or 2 others. No need to book
Weatherwise you are highly likely to cop some rain, wind and the temp can drop to below 10' bring a 3 season sleeping bag, decent foam sleeping mat and 1/2 decent tent if you want to wild camp. Campfires are not allowed so bring a fuel stove. Water is provided at huts / campsites (collected rainwater) so boil before use and bring puritabs just in case. You can restock food / fuel supplies at all towns on route - generally a maximum of 2 to 3 days between them. Carry cash - a lot of the town shops don't take credit cards and ATM's can be hit and miss
That time of year there is no real need to worry about snakes and spiders too much or biting insects - but bring some repellent just in case. You can get the train back to Perth from Albany at the end of the trail.

One word of caution for some reason in a few places they have constructed the cycle track of pea gravel which is a pain in ass to cycle on - but it will generally be fine on the main track on any mtb or touring / cx bike with 1.5" and above XC knobblies. There is some really fun single track off the main trail in the hills east of perth but you would need an MTB for that unless super good.

I have been meaning to post a ride report on crazyguyonabike but just have been too lazy - can get more info here.
http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 17th May 2013 1:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by hdrcorp: Beware of snakes and spiders."
+ Dingos?

Regular Forumer
6,193 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 17th May 2013 1:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by naturebeauty:

To all good brothers and gurus, 

A little of background info to begin with, I'll be having my leave clearing in maybe late June/ early July depending on my boss arrangement( he is still thinking) I'll be going for a Full Solo Expedtion that required me to sleep off the tent in most of the night.

If my leave granted is 3 weeks, I'll be heading Ade from Perth via Nullabur Plain. Whole expedition maybe about 2400km to 2600km

Else I'll be heading a round in Perth to Margaret River, Albany then north up to Northam before turning back in Perth which maybe about 1500km to 1700km

Wish to seek your wisdoms on the following:    

Roadhouse along these route?

Thing to take note of while travelling on these route?

Animals and insect I need to be aware of?        

Food and Water supply?

Any other useful information while travelling there.

Do let me know if there is things I should take note of and I'll love to update you guys on the trip as and when it is possible.

Till then thank you in advance of all the help you guys are sharing!

Cheers
Paul Ang            

"

Hi, Paul i have driven from Perth to Sydney by the  Nullabur plain in 2001. Very beautiful sceneries and lots of dirt! Took me 7 days to get from Perth to Syd.
While travelling there do becareful of kangroos, emu and lots of flying insects! i did a road kill count and it came up to 94 road kills! and i had the honor of knocking a kangaroo 10m into the air! scary experience in the dark of night. 
Watch out for long trailers (lorries) and do note that things like drinks and food costs more as you get inland (its a fact!)

Roads are paved tar roads...very dusty and at some points very strait (150km long) road. Do take note no lights, no petrol station for long portions of the road till the next town.
Bring warm clothing, it can get really cold as evenings come. as it is the most southern region in australia, it will be very cold! bring alcohol and warm clothings.
Stock up on batteries and lighting, u need it at night.
Get a GPS as well.

hope it helps

Regular Forumer
239 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th May 2013 1:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891: + Dingos?"

I don't think that the TS is a baby. 

Regular Forumer
599 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th May 2013 1:58 PM    Quote and Reply

I don't think three weeks is enough to cycle adelaide to perth. That time of year you will be cycling into the prevailing winds and you are going to need to carry a lot of spare food and water + camping gear - 100Km+ per day is going to be pushing it - leaves no time for rest days or sight seeing

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 17th May 2013 3:31 PM    Quote and Reply

Not sure about the tobacco - but agree on the booze - 25 year old macullum single malt is my preffered well worth the extra 1Kg or so - vodka need to cart along a mixer as well.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 17th May 2013 4:08 PM    Quote and Reply

I may go to perth within 2 years and stay at my cousins' s place. Plan to bike bag my bike there and cycle. Which bike is the best to bring? A road bike or a hard tail?

Lor Sor Forumer
1,105 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th May 2013 2:55 PM    Quote and Reply

Thank you all bro out there for the advice and sugestion.

Well as amatter of fact i do agree there is no much time for sightseeing which is what i think i'm expecting with the distance i want to cover.

I'm travelling with my Surly LHT so i'm not sure if off road is the way to go.

Will be carry all the gear and food and water that can last me about 10day but water for maybe 2 most 3. Only worries is that water can't be found within 3 days on both route especial nullabor if i'm taking that.

Well all in all i'm really excitied to go and see the world out there.

Although i'm really not a drinker. Fact is is don't drink at all but i'll rememeber to bozze and beer that seen to be a universal language in making frenz hahaha.

Lastly, plsease keep the advicing coming in I think the more i know the better i'll be prepared.

In term of wind I had done my research which had indicate it to be eastern or north east so if it is still correct then i would most likely get tailwind most of the time. But as they say there can be only so much you can plan so i'll keep my finger cross.

Till then.^^

Live a Colourful Life! 
Keep Cycling!
Regular Forumer
47 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings