Topic: Highway that bicycle can not ride

Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 5:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi All,

I am wondering what kind of highway is the highway that bicycle can not ride. Can I assume that all the road coloured orange in the map are not allow and I can ride all the road coloured in yellow, according to the map below.

I wonder whether I can ride on the Pasir Gudang highway which is coloured in Yellow as I am planning to go to Masai and Pontian 3rd week of march.

View Larger Map

Life is a journey and I am just an another wanderer.
http://www.mybikesnhikes.com
Regular Forumer
525 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 5:47 PM    Quote and Reply

Nothing wrong with cycling along Nicol Highway or West Coast Highway. You have the right to assume, but why?

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 5:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Sorry that I wasn't provide enough info at the first place. 

I want to know that condition apply in malaysia as I am going to Masia and Potian next weekend.

thanks

Regular Forumer
525 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 6:30 PM    Quote and Reply

Pontian highway have motorcycle lanes in some parts. Would not cycle solo there though, if going in a group maybe better. From kangkar pulai to mas merah is just two lanes each way and there are many express buses and lorries carrying cement and sand going along that route. No lights in most stretches at night. No road shoulders. But less traffic. 

Pasir Gudang highway is more crowded with vehicles but due to jams, not as fast flowing. Still pretty fast doe, and watch out for motorcycles.

personally, unless you think you are confident enough cycling in local expressways, won't cycle at pg highway.  

I'm just here to tone my belly
Regular Forumer
741 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 8:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Stiffler: Pontian highway have motorcycle lanes in some parts. Would not cycle solo there though, if going in a group maybe better. From kangkar pulai to mas merah is just two lanes each way and there are many express buses and lorries carrying cement and sand going along that route. No lights in most stretches at night. No road shoulders. But less traffic. 

Pasir Gudang highway is more crowded with vehicles but due to jams, not as fast flowing. Still pretty fast doe, and watch out for motorcycles.

personally, unless you think you are confident enough cycling in local expressways, won't cycle at pg highway.  "

thanks for the advice Stiffler,

I am not sure whether I go to Masai. If my cousin not there anymore, I won't go there and I won't be riding on PG highway.

But I will still go to Potian. I will be travelling in day time. I will leave home around 7am and hope to reach there around 2 or 3pm in the noon.  From my home to Pontian is about 84 km according to the route I mapped. Just nice for me which is not long nor shot. 

View potian in a larger map

thanks for the advice.

Regular Forumer
525 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 8:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Would it be easier to cycle into Malaysia via Tuas and exit near kampong ulu choh, bypassing the heavier traffic going towards Senai? 

Regular Forumer
741 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 9:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Stiffler: Would it be easier to cycle into Malaysia via Tuas and exit near kampong ulu choh, bypassing the heavier traffic going towards Senai? "

I do not know whether I can go via Tuas. Moreover, I do not know whether authority allow to pass the bicycle via Tuas. I have been to JB via woodland by bycicle. That's why I decided to go via that route.

Regular Forumer
525 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 9:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Tuas checkpoint not allowed coz crossing over is their expressway route. and not 24 hrs in operation?

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 10:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Hmm. After reading some other threads, seems like cycling in via Woodlands is the easier and safer option. Ride safe!

Regular Forumer
741 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Mar 2013 11:06 PM    Quote and Reply

yeah . thanks

Regular Forumer
525 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Mar 2013 11:31 AM    Quote and Reply

I thought Tuas was 24hrs, but no bicycles? I would not ride the PG highway...I have ridden it many times on my motorcycle and it is a pretty crazy road...lots of heavy vehicles speeding and cars/motorcycles weaving everywhere...would hate to be on a bicycle there! Riding through JB does not really appeal to me either..if you have a car maybe drive to Gelang Patah and ride from there, I reckon it would be a nicer ride if you could avoid the highways and busy JB roads?

Regular Forumer
1,362 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings