Topic: MAD MONKEY - CHIANGMAI DH BIKE SERVICE & TOURS

Posted on: 24th Jan 2013 1:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Guys,

Im a Singaporean biking kaki living in Chiangmai and just like to share this infor about a new DH biking service you may find useful :-

Contact Information:
Mad Monkey Chiangmai
(Add to your facebook : http://www.facebook.com/groups/118601951644566/
Ride Leader  : Khun Note 
Mobile : +66 81681 0368
Email : madmonkeycnx@hotmail.com"> madmonkeycnx@hotmail.com

Rates : Thb1,000/day (unlimited rides)
Min group capacity : 5pax

Rates : Thb1,200/day (unlimited rides)
Min group capacity : 2 pax 

Amenities: Service complete with 12 bikes trailers (10 for riders & 2 reserve for guides)

Comments: they are a group of local DH boys, very well experience, competetive riders who are familiar with Chiangmai DH and/or AM trials. They are not overly commercialized bike service unlike few others where only money talks. They are fun guys and always all out to make riders trip fun and memorable. To them, you are not customer but a friend of biking. Thats what matters most.  

Dont reply here as in helping them post for your information only

Cheers guys 
Regular Forumer
20 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jan 2013 1:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Noticed a couple of companies offering that service in CM.  They give you a ride in a pickup truck or van up the Doi Suthep mountain and then you ride back down on a mountain bike.  Most of the people that use those services seem to be inexperience riders, basically tourists or backpackers that decided to do it on a whim, and on account of that some of those "downhillers" are a real safety hazard.  Overall I don't see the appeal of the service.  I might be old fashioned, but I think that people should climb the hills that they plan to descend.  Plenty of cyclists climb Doi Suthep every day on thier own power, it takes some time (it's about 11km at a 6% grade) but it's not a tremendously difficult climb for a moderately fit cyclist.

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Jan 2013 1:41 PM    Quote and Reply

I've climbed Doi Pui it on a XC bike on some of the easier dirt road easy trails from the backside - I wouldn't want to try it on a DH bike that wouldn't be fun - riding up the road on any bike would be nasty. we used to rent a pickup and driver, for the day to cart us and the bikes up to top and then ride down. I think it was  3000 baht per day for the driver / pick up and we would do two or three DH runs down.
I don't agree with you that people should ride up the mountain you are going to descend - each to their own - DH is completely different to XC -

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 29th Jan 2013 1:01 PM    Quote and Reply

SS, i do like to think you prefer challanges and obviously you're more than welcome to chose your mode of accend and im sure any rider will get the "kick" on a XC bike up DoiSuThep. Personally, ive done 2800 mtrs up a mountain somewhere in Xi'an on a hardtial XC bike and i knew what its like but frankly, i wouldnt challenge that on a DH bike with 200mm double crown bike at all.  But I totally agree with Zappa..."each their own". Im only here to share overseas riding tips hoping that our local boys will find them useful if they are planning a trip to Chiangmai.

Yes, there's a company offering biking services that charges Thb1900/day for only 1 run and there's also other company that offers Thb1,800 for DH services with up to 3-4 runs depending on duration of trail distances. These biking outfit uses pickup as a general mode of transport but space can be squeezy if the group extends 6 above. Therefore, riders can opt to hire additional 10 seater van for Thb2,000 per day for extra comfort when the group goes up to 10pax. Additional to these, most bike services provides bike trailers or bike carrier so that bikes are properly secured during driving.

The local CNX riders that are operating Mad Monkey are very expericend and competitive DH riders which offers value for money rides, Their passion for riding is what they desire and making friends are what they enjoyed most.

Cheers

Regular Forumer
20 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Jan 2013 1:10 PM    Quote and Reply

sounds interesting :D

are there less technical trails? something like ketam without the diamond back?

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Posted on: 29th Jan 2013 7:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Unlike Ketam, trails in DoiSuThep and DouPui are largely natural forest trails. Besides some hardcore DH trails, there are good AM/XC trails as well. I'm sure they will be happy to plan and accommodate all level riders. Hope my answers help....cheers Ryan

Regular Forumer
20 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Apr 2013 4:38 PM    Quote and Reply

hi everyone,here is some of our trails....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDnBnn1t7uU&feature=youtu.be

will upload mere soon....enjay  

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Thailand
Posted on: 4th Apr 2013 9:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SarahShaw: Noticed a couple of companies offering that service in CM.  They give you a ride in a pickup truck or van up the Doi Suthep mountain and then you ride back down on a mountain bike.  Most of the people that use those services seem to be inexperience riders, basically tourists or backpackers that decided to do it on a whim, and on account of that some of those "downhillers" are a real safety hazard.  Overall I don't see the appeal of the service.  I might be old fashioned, but I think that people should climb the hills that they plan to descend.  Plenty of cyclists climb Doi Suthep every day on thier own power, it takes some time (it's about 11km at a 6% grade) but it's not a tremendously difficult climb for a moderately fit cyclist.

"

Sounds like you have no idea what downhilling is all about.  Quite a few folks (including moi) make our way to CNX quite a few times a year just to ride the DH.   That said, I've also spoken to road cyclists staying at the same hotel and there's a big road riding contingent, including retired pros, living there, organizing rides, training at the velodome, riding up the various mountains.

But climing up to Doi Pui on my DH bike?  My tires/tubes alone are almost the weight of your road bike.  Obviously you have no idea what the head angle of a DH bike is like... or you expect me to wheelie up the 20km to the peak?  :)   

There will always be relative newbies/inexperienced tourists doing the trails there. So the guides would direct them to the much milder XC/AM trails.   If they don't have the proper bike equipment, safety gear (full face, armour), it's suicidal for them to ride the DH trails. 

I can vouch for Khun Note of MadMonkey CNX....  although I haven't used his service, I have ridden with him a few times.  He's a steady and trustworthy guy.   I can usually make my own way up the mountain coz I learnt some basic thai and negotiate with the taxi drivers myself.   Sometimes I bring other riders with me, sometimes not.  But Note and the other guides provide a critical service which allow serious riders to enjoy more of the Chiang Mai outdoors.   Someone has to do trail maintenance there, if you think about it....  plus the trails are pretty long and you can easily get lost without a guide.

Regular Forumer
1,719 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Apr 2013 1:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by madmonkeycnx: hi everyone,here is some of our trails....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDnBnn1t7uU&feature=youtu.be

will upload mere soon....enjay  "

Cool vids, Note

Regular Forumer
20 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Apr 2013 11:16 PM    Quote and Reply

Chiangmai is a fantastic place for DownHill, All-mountain, Cross country or indeed roar riding. (never tried that one myself in Chiangmai). If you would like to travel there with no bike, or even no gear, companies like http://www.x-bikingchiangmai.com will rent you proper downhill bikes, and good gear. The X-Biking gang are local riders, and fantastic guides. I think the biggest difference from doing it on your own, is that they will fix your bike if it breakes, they will carry it down for you (letting you borrow their bike), they will pick you up when you get down, and you can do as many rides as you like in a day. They also help build the trails, and if you are keen on learning to become better, they will do a skills course.

*----------
For the REAL Down-Hill Experience
visit and book at
http://www.x-bikingchiangmai.com
Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Thailand
Posted on: 23rd May 2013 11:25 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by snap: Chiangmai is a fantastic place for DownHill, All-mountain, Cross country or indeed roar riding. (never tried that one myself in Chiangmai). If you would like to travel there with no bike, or even no gear, companies like http://www.x-bikingchiangmai.com will rent you proper downhill bikes, and good gear. The X-Biking gang are local riders, and fantastic guides. I think the biggest difference from doing it on your own, is that they will fix your bike if it breakes, they will carry it down for you (letting you borrow their bike), they will pick you up when you get down, and you can do as many rides as you like in a day. They also help build the trails, and if you are keen on learning to become better, they will do a skills course."

SNAP! you are obviously one "Looser" rider that lacks mannerism and etiquette to post recommendation of another competitive Chiangmai operator on my tread. Im sure your present relationship with them is on the ugly side now since she is not on good terms with my nemesis. So, what's your next action Farang? Recommend Mad Monkey service?

Regular Forumer
20 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings