Topic: Batam - Bintan Ferry Query

Posted on: 12th Sep 2012 9:29 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi All,

Visting Singapore in a couple of months and planning on doing a few days riding on Bintan. Before going to Bintan however, I want to ride the Barelang Highway. Ideally, I will get the first ferry for the day from Singapore to Waterfront, ride the Barelang Hwy, and get back in time to get a ferry to Tanjung Pinang, stay a night, and in the morning ride to the resorts area and meet my family. 

I know you can get various ferries from Telaga Pungger to various places in Bintan but a number of websites refer to a ferry from Galang Island to Tanjung Pinang run by SB Giam Mas. Most websites seem to indicate that the service to Bintan is only once a day early in the morning but I think these websites are just copying each other so the information may not be correct.

http://user.chollian.net/~hwayon/sing/batam.htm says it might be twice a day but that website is very old. 

I tried to ring SB Giam Mas but their English wasn't very good and they could not understand me so I would be bery grateful if forum members could answer the following questions:

1. Does anyone know the current schedule for ferries departing Galang Island for Tanjung Pinang?
2. If it is only once a day ie in the morning, is there any accommodation at Galang Island near the ferry terminal?
3. If I was returning to Batam from down south, is there a short cut to Telaga Pungger from the Barelang Highway suitable for a road bike or do I have to up towards Batam Center and then take the turn off near the Kong Kow Golf Driving Range to Kabil? If there is a shortcut, does it have good signage/directions?
4. Is there accommodation at Telaga Pungger or would I need to stay back in the more populated areas of Batam. 

I look forward to your responses.
Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Australia
Posted on: 12th Sep 2012 11:26 AM    Quote and Reply

On Bintan, from the resorts in the north to Tanjung Pinang in the far south is almost 2 hrs by car.  So it will be more than a century mile ride on rolling hills and absolutely no shade and next to no natural rest stops along the way that I can remember.   That was maybe 5 or 6 years ago.  Just fyi.

Regular Forumer
1,719 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 12th Sep 2012 11:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by chwee: On Bintan, from the resorts are in the north to Tanjung Pinang in the far south is almost 2 hrs by car.  So it will be more than a century mile ride on rolling hills and absolutely no shade and next to no natural rest stops along the way that I can remember.   That was maybe 5 or 6 years ago.  Just fyi."

Am aware of that and the fact it is about 110km from TP to the resorts. Did Tour de Bintan last year. 

Haven't done Batam and I'd rather get the ferry from Galang Is just so I'm not as rushed on the Barelang and can enjoy the scenery/experience more.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Australia
Posted on: 13th Sep 2012 8:37 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
" I tried to ring SB Giam Mas but their English wasn't very good and they could not understand me so I would be bery grateful if forum members could answer the following questions:

1. Does anyone know the current schedule for ferries departing Galang Island for Tanjung Pinang?"

The relevant info on various websites is: One daily speedboat operated by SB Giam Mas [S] (Tel: +62-779-431589 in Tanjung Batu [S]) departs daily from Tanjung Batu at 0745 for Tanjung Pinang [S], the main town on Bintan [M]. The boat returns to Tanjung Batu on the same day, departing Tanjung Pinang at 1200. The boat has scheduled stops at Galang Island and Moro on Sugibawah Island, while unscheduled stops may be made at various little settlements along the way. Journey time is about two and a half hours each way.

If no one knows the answer to 1 above, is there someone reading this post who speaks Indonesian and is willing to ring SB Giam Mas on the number above and confirm the current schedule for Galang Island to TP?

Would still like answers to 2 -4 though.

Thanks

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Australia
Posted on: 22nd Nov 2012 9:16 AM    Quote and Reply

I've finally ridden the Barelang Hwy so can now answer some of my earlier questions which may help others contemplating the ride.

Quote:
"
2. If it is only once a day ie in the morning, is there any accommodation at Galang Island near the ferry terminal?
"

We stayed on the Hwy the whole way so did not go to the ferry terminal. I would imagine if there is accommodation near the Galang Island terminal, it would be extremely basic. There doesn't appear to be any accommodation along the Barelong Hwy. 

Quote:
"
3. If I was returning to Batam from down south, is there a short cut to Telaga Pungger from the Barelang Highway suitable for a road bike or do I have to up towards Batam Center and then take the turn off near the Kong Kow Golf Driving Range to Kabil? If there is a shortcut, does it have good signage/directions?
"

I don't believe there is a short cut. I am pretty sure you need to go to the start of the Barelong Hwy and turn right  into Jalen R Soeprapto and then right at Jalan Jend Sudirman (big mall on the corner) and follow the road to Telaga Pungger. 

Quote:
"
4. Is there accommodation at Telaga Pungger or would I need to stay back in the more populated areas of Batam. 
"

I did not see any accommodation at Telaga Pungger. If there is any, it would be very basic.

ABOUT THE RIDE

We got an early morning ferry to Sekupang and then rode around to the Harris Hotel and left our back packs. The road to the start of the Hwy was pretty scary and it was difficult getting into the right lane to turn onto the Hwy.

Take at least 2 water bottles. There are plenty of stalls along the way to buy cold water at pretty cheap prices. Obviously you need rupiah. We stopped at a lot of stalls both for rest and to keep the fluids up. 

It can get extremely hot and it is very desolate after about 20km. My garmin had the temp at between 36 & 41 all the way down. Unfortunately the first leg has been deleted from my garmin somehow. The second leg is here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/245352848

The temp dropped for a little while when we got some cloud cover. We arrived back in peak hour and the last 20km was extremely busy and scary. You have no hope of staying together with other riders and just need to concentrate on dodging bikes & cars stopping in front of you or pulling out in front of you.

Stayed at Harris Hotel and paid $30 to get a taxi to Telaga Punggur in the morning. We then rode from Tanjung Pinang to Nirwana http://connect.garmin.com/activity/245352834 the shortest way as again it was a very hot day and my riding partner wasn't feeling 100%.

Luck must have been on my side. As we were riding up the last hill into Nirwana Resort (maybe 200m from the entrance) my chain snapped. Although I was disappointed I didn't get any more riding done on Bintan this visit, I was glad it didn't happen on the Barelang Hwy.

I also did a ride in Malaysia last week which i found enjoyable and very easy as it was pretty flat http://connect.garmin.com/activity/242930296

In summary, I would highly recommend doing the Barelang Hwy. It was certainly an experience. Just make sure you have rupiah, drink heaps, use sunscreen and take the necessary spare tubes, CO2 cannisters etc as it is very desolate and there isn't any help around. We didn't even see any other bikes for 2 days and about 230km so you need to be self sufficient.

As hard as it is, I'm glad I did the trip.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Australia
Posted on: 23rd Nov 2012 9:24 AM    Quote and Reply

barelang highway can be done in a day.

first trip Harbourfront to Sekupang
ride to end of barelang 80km (3-4hrs)
have lunch in the kelong (max 2hrs)
ride back  to sekupang and have sweet corn in Barelang bridge (4-5hrs)

http://www.cyclingsolutions.biz
Regular Forumer
313 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Login to see your Forum Rankings