Topic: Xinjiang Cycling Tour

Posted on: 8th Mar 2012 9:11 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all, just want to do a sensing here if there are anyone interested in the Xinjiang Cycling Tour, organised by Chan's World Holiday. It is about cycling through the Taklamakan Desert Highway in Xinjiang province. It will be a combined event with cyclists from other parts of the world too. Some details as follows:

Duration: 8 days

Departure date: 30 Sep 12

Itinerary:
Day 1 - Singapore - Guangzhou - Urumqi (4-star hotel)
Day 2 - Urumqi - Korla - Lunnan (coach, 3-star hotel)
Day 3 - Cycling ~170km (overnight at campsite)
Day 4 - Cycling ~126km (overnight at campsite)
Day 5 - Cycling to end point ~150km (3-star hotel)
Day 6 - Minfeng - Korla (coach, 4-star hotel)
Day 7 - Korla - Urumqi (coach, 4-star hotel)
Day 8 - Urumqi - Guangzhou - Singapore

Terrain: The Desert Highway is a tarred road, mostly flat with undulating levels.

Bikes: Road bikes provided. But if you are bringing your own bike, deduct $80 from the fare (but may incur extra luggage fare).

Costs: About S$2.2k inclusive of air tickets, taxes, accomodation and meals, and at maximum discounts.

Map: Red and green line

Disclaimer: I'm neither working at the agency nor having commissions through it. It's just out of pure interest to check if there are like-minded people out there.
Regular Forumer
59 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 8th Mar 2012 10:21 PM    Quote and Reply

That sounds nice, but those are too long of consecutive rides touring on bikes for only three days. 

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Mar 2012 10:21 PM    Quote and Reply

That sounds nice, but those are too long of consecutive rides touring on bikes for only three days. 

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Mar 2012 10:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:

That sounds nice, but those are too long of consecutive rides touring on bikes for only three days, especially on used/someone elses bicycles and not knowing of the condition of them.

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Mar 2012 1:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Using the bikes provided is always a concern, and according to what I was told, it will be roadies from Giant.  That is why I would rather bring my own.  And for the planning, yes it's three consecutive days which could be taxing... but that's where the challenge comes in!  Training is definitely a must, and I believe six months leadtime of consciencious training should do the trick.

Do buzz me if you're interested. 

Regular Forumer
59 posts

Posted on: 10th Mar 2012 10:07 PM    Quote and Reply

I believe compromising bike fit is looking for injuries/accidents. Bring your own road bikes. Its really undulating cycling routes overseas. I found out doing Audax 

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Mar 2012 10:07 PM    Quote and Reply

I believe compromising bike fit is looking for injuries/accidents. Bring your own road bikes. Its really undulating cycling routes overseas. I found out doing Audax 

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jun 2012 2:29 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi, if there is anyone here who has signed up the package (I was told there are 5 of them); and if you're in this forum, I would like to link up with you.

Cheers!

Regular Forumer
59 posts

Posted on: 13th Jun 2012 12:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Interesting.. but its a pity the itinerary didnt include going to Kashgar or on to the karakorum highway with scenic views of karakol lake and muztagh ata.. was there last summer climbing muztagh ata..   

I am the "I Am" before the I am this or that.
Regular Forumer
133 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings