Topic: Cycling from Marymount to Buona Vista - Safest way???

Posted on: 30th Sep 2014 9:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi everyone! 

Can you advice what is the safest way to get to Buona Vista from Marymount road?? Lornie road is really scary and there doesn't seem to be much PCN that links to the west :(   

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Sep 2014 9:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Right,Lornie road is scary.dont take Adam road too.from my experience,go toa payoh-Caldecott-mount pleasant road-Whitley road-then u will reach dunearn road.from there,it will be safer from there.
btw,what type of bike are u riding? 

Regular Forumer
22 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Sep 2014 9:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Can always cycle along the pavement. Then at Lornie road before lane entering PIE, there is a traffic light and just front a bit there's a bustop. Wait at the bustop til the traffic light behind turns red then quickly cycle down to the other side. Normally the 2 roads, Sime rd and Kheam Hock rd, not many vehicles come out so shld be quite safe. Then just continue back to pavement. Thats what I used to do.

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Oct 2014 8:21 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks guys, that traffic light thing is certainly a good tip! Will try that out! I'm riding a road bike, consider myself a new rider as I haven't been consistently riding:p 
will still stick to the pavement on Lornie as the road is really narrow. I hope  there aren't many pedestrians walking :/

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Oct 2014 9:29 AM    Quote and Reply

shame you are on a road bike a mountain bike you can ahem 'push' your bike about 1KM from Island club road to Rifle range road and then take the Rail Trail straight to Buona Vista - I work in Toa payoh and occasionaly bring the MTB in I use that way to get to BT to do a couple of circuits of Chestnut after work - I live in bedok and sometimes I use the Rail Corridor to get to the City and back via east coast or head up T15 and back to Bedok via the Mandai PCN.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 1st Oct 2014 11:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Erm, I wouldn't push my road bike through that way. Are you suggesting I get a mountain bike??

I think it is ok to cycle on wider roads or during off peak hours. To be caught on the busiest roads in sg during the rush hour spells danger! Drivers are either half awake, high on caffeine or F1 protégé. Everyone makes their own calculated risk. Stop shaming others, the world will be a happier place. 

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Oct 2014 12:48 PM    Quote and Reply

No I was just suggesting an alternative route, if you were inclined to get an MTB - but it wouldn't be suitable for a road bike. It is actually a very nice quiet ride on an MTB.
I commute by road bike most days and know exactly what you mean about the rush hour traffic. My only unavoidable very busy fast roads from Bedok to Toa Payoh are Airport Road and McPherson Road, the rest of the time I can go round the back roads of Ubi, the Sennet Estate and Potong pasir. I am pretty sure  that you would be able to find a route through the expensive housing estates after whitley rd between Holand and BT road if you wanted as well.

BTW I wasn't trying to shame you for  having a road bike i've got one too - the intent was to say it's a shame that you don't have an MTB as there is a really good route for MTB's from Marymount to Buona Vista 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 1st Oct 2014 2:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Got it, glad to clear up the misunderstanding

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings