Topic: Around the island ride

Posted on: 15th Sep 2017 11:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

I am visiting Singapore from Perth Australia at the end of September and am planning to do a round-the-island route which I believe will be about 125km.

So far this is the best route I find:
http://www.mapmyride.com/sg/singapore/singapore-round-island-128km-route-28033072

Do you have a better TCX/GPX you can share?

Also, as this is a self-supported ride, do I need to ride on the road or does Singapore have a dedicate cycling lane? Also, is it easy to stop for food/water along the way? 

One final question: I'm contemplating of either bringing my bike from Perth or rent. So far I've been suggested to contact Bike Haus which I did but still no reply yet and it has been about a week now. If I want to rent a road bike, where would you recommend? 

THanks for the help.

Steve
Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Australia
Posted on: 18th Sep 2017 1:01 AM    Quote and Reply

Looks alright. Except the Changi coastal road (east end) is no more and replaced by the Tanah Merah coastal Road. You can go through Yishun ave 8 (north) instead the longer route. If you like abit of nature you can turn in to punggol park connector, just after Punggol Timor Island and cycle until you reach Serangoon Island. Its dirt track but good enough for road tires, but it closes at 6pm I think. No worries about food and water. You can find them almost anywhere except maybe Jln Bahar onwards til woodlands. In Sg you can ride almost any road except expressways(PIE, AYE, TPE, etc). For bike rental I believe Pro Cycle located at East Coast Park have road bikes.

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 18th Sep 2017 6:51 AM    Quote and Reply

It can be very hot here at noon time. So you may want to start riding in the late afternoon.

As for toilet locations, you can refer to PCN maps at NPark website https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-parks-and-nature/park-connector-network

Consider bringing iced water in thermal bottle too, 2x if you can.

I can help mark the location of coffee shops and convenience shops i Sengkang and Punggol route. Let me know if you want.

Regular Forumer
21 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Riding:
1) XYZ
Posted on: 18th Sep 2017 4:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by stevepeter83: Hi all,

I am visiting Singapore from Perth Australia at the end of September and am planning to do a round-the-island route which I believe will be about 125km.

So far this is the best route I find:
http://www.mapmyride.com/sg/singapore/singapore-round-island-128km-route-28033072

Do you have a better TCX/GPX you can share?

Also, as this is a self-supported ride, do I need to ride on the road or does Singapore have a dedicate cycling lane? Also, is it easy to stop for food/water along the way? 

One final question: I'm contemplating of either bringing my bike from Perth or rent. So far I've been suggested to contact Bike Haus which I did but still no reply yet and it has been about a week now. If I want to rent a road bike, where would you recommend? 

THanks for the help.

Steve"

your planned route has a couple of issues, in my opinion

1) It goes to the industrial areas around Tuas, which in my opinion aren't really nice to cycle around due to the high concentration of heavy vehicles.

2) It shows the route going through Changi Coastal Road, which has now been "swallowed" by Changi Airport for the new Terminal 5. As a result the new Tanah Merah Coastal Road encircles this, and increases the distance.

I reckon a 'typical' Round Island route is around 110km, avoiding the western industrial sector.

You can opt to increase this distance by making a detour into Sentosa Island :)

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th Sep 2017 7:17 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks heaps for all the replies. I think I have decided that I will bring my bike over. It just makes sense. Hiring ain't cheap either.

@kevin301: Do you have a suggestion of GPX or TCX I can use then?

Few maps I've found all - at some point - go through highways such as AYE albeit short? =O Is this possible?

Another one I've found:

https://www.strava.com/routes/699510

Is that route better than the other one?

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Australia
Posted on: 19th Sep 2017 8:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Also, I just tried to create a riding map using ridewithgps.com but it keeps saying no cycling route found around Singapore...lol..how weird....

Freshie Forumer
4 posts

Australia
Posted on: 19th Sep 2017 11:35 PM    Quote and Reply

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/499936

This would be my ideal round island route. Edit if you like. Industrial areas in tuas are ok to cycle on Sundays where there are less vehicles. Generally I too don't really like to cycle there as it's quite boring. But since this may be your only time to explore Singapore by bike why not just try.

Regular Forumer
96 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 13th Oct 2017 11:45 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Steve, i'm johnny. I am very interested to ride along with you. Where are you putting up in singapore? I'm located in the east and i normally ride from evening when the sun is down. Did round island before too on my own in under 6hours. Chat back when you read this. My email: tycosim@hotmail.com"> tycosim@hotmail.com

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Posted on: 22nd Jun 2018 4:25 AM    Quote and Reply

This is so cool

All for fun
Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Malaysia
Login to see your Forum Rankings