Topic: High tech vs. Low Tech

Posted on: 8th Sep 2011 11:40 AM    Quote and Reply

I didn't think Steel bikes are so common.

@Pi66y 
BTW, how did you get your bike to Bali?   If you had luggage big enough to carry your bike, will you have to drag that big suitcase all over with you when you go touring?
How do most people do this?  It looks very difficult even with a compact folding bike.
Or just buy a cheap steel bike when you arrive - then give it away when the tour is finished? 

Regular Forumer
77 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Sep 2011 5:55 AM    Quote and Reply

Anyone else besides Pi6y know how to take bikes to other countries?
thanks!

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Sep 2011 3:34 AM    Quote and Reply

We dismantled our bikes and packed into bicycle boxes which you can get from LBS, We planned our trip such that the 1st day and the last day of the trip is at the same hotel. So when we reached there, the hotel sent a lorry to picked us and the bicycles in boxes from the airport. We then use the hotel's carpark to assemble the bikes. The hotel kept the boxes for us in a garden shed, while we cycled through various places in Indonesia. 9 days later, we went back to the hotel to stay for 1 nite and to pack our bikes for the return flight.

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Sep 2011 1:58 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the post!
I'll want to give this a try. 

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Sep 2011 1:51 PM    Quote and Reply

've done a couple of fully loaded bike trips with racks in the past: North Scotland to Marseille and from Chamonix to Prague through the Alpes, Singapore to Phuket, Calgary to Victoria all unsupported in  groups of 4 to 7:
My advice:
Go low tech and bomb proof, steel frame, surley longhaul trucker is good - 32mm min tires and solid hubs and rims 3 cross laced for strength - also go with 26 wheels easier to get tires / tubes than 700c
V brakes
Get the comfiest saddle you can and decent padded cycling shorts
Forget nice smooth shifting get a triple and the lowest granny and biggest rear sprocket you can - it still wont be enough loaded against the wind or uphill- I went 20T and a 36T rear - one guy had a custom 18 - 40 made up
Use front and rear racks, not rucksacks
If camping be prepared to get good equipment, Robens  Stratos Tent is great 4man tent that weighs about 1.7Kg, get a good self inflating mat and pillow, go with MSR stoves that are lightweight and can burn gasoline (which can be got everywhere - alcohol stoves can be a problem fuel wise).
Multi tool with allen keys and chain tool
Spare tire and 2 tubes more if no bike shops
Spare chain
Spare shifter and brake cables
spare allen bolts for panniers /water bottels
Spoke wrenches
puncture kit
Spare brake pads
Duct tape - absolutely vital for temporary repairs - used on one trip to splint a broken arm
First aid kit; see the doc or buy at airport a full course of anitbiotics and rehydration salts / stuff for upset stomachs
Credit cards and travellers checks - keep cash carried to a minimum
If you are going in a group may also be worth carrying a complete spare drivetrain between you certainly spare RD and FD.

Murphy's law will apply - be preapred - if something can brake and you don't have it with you and you are in the middle of nowhere at the furthest point between bike shops it will

Regular Forumer
314 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Sep 2011 1:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Its pretty easy to take bikes on planes get a proper bike box otherwise most airlines charge you more and are more likely to damage your bike. In Asean the only place I've had hassle was Sulawesi where we all had to pay US$100 customs clearance fee for our bikes - no receipt so definate Kopi Money. Bangkok vietnam, changmai, jakarta, no problem - they just ask if the bike is new, just say no

Regular Forumer
314 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Sep 2011 3:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Hey ninerbiker how long did you take to do the sg phuket trip? Been toying with the idea for a while now...did you do a ride report anywhere...would be keen to hear about it.

Regular Forumer
1,363 posts
Forum Rep: 12

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Sep 2011 3:48 PM    Quote and Reply

We did it in 2004; so a few years ago. I didn't file a report but the route took was 1600Km with side trips. We took 4 weeks with 1 day rest per week. We did it unsupported and mostly camped stayed in hotels in the big towns on rest/beer days when the underwear  and we just got too smelly and slimy ----haha , we started at Kota Tingi and followed the east coast of Malaysia Mersing, Kuantan than headed inland and through the mountains on road 8 and 66 i think then across the border at Kolok then back to the coast Narathiwat, Patani, Songkla, Trang, Krabi then got the ferry to Phuket so cut the last loop. We had people bring bike boxes to meet us in Phuket.
Even though its further I reckon the eastern route is far better than up the west coast of Malaysia much quieter , but if not supported the only place we found on the way where it was possible to get bikes fixed or components was Kuantan and Songkla - and it was really remote - we only had Handphone coverage for about 30% of the distance - but all that may have changed. Basically there was bugger all between Mersing and Pekan, turn off from Sugai Pahang to Kolok and the east coast of Thailand from the border up to Songkla really was wild west. sometimes tarmac sometimes dirt punters riding on elephants pulling trees along behind them etc. There were plenty of Kampongs to get food and beer (except kelantan 1 week without beer!!! but even then there were plenty of plantations and toddy drinking going on).
And the road from Trang to Krabi turn off was terrifying, busy and fast moving traffic
Would be up for doing it again  but just getting the time these days is a problem

Regular Forumer
314 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 23rd Sep 2011 8:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Sounds like an awesome trip!
Thanks for sharing it! 

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Sep 2011 12:44 PM    Quote and Reply

If you push it I reckon you could do SG Phuket in a week or so but that wasn't the point of our trip we were doing 60 to 90Km per cycling day,sometimes finishing around lunch time sometimes setting off later and we did excursions - Taman Negara etc. Rest days are pretty important at least once a week - chill out on the beach, a few ice cold beers etc. It does allow you to properly recover
The whole point is enjoyment of the journey itself and finding interesting routes and people; if you are doing like 150Km+ per day or so you miss out on loads of things and are too knackered to do anything by the evening; may as well just take a week off and cycle round thje island for 7 days

Regular Forumer
314 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings