Topic: High tech vs. Low Tech

Posted on: 3rd Sep 2011 10:31 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all.
(guessing this is the best place to ask)

If you wanted to bike across Vietnam or maybe Africa, will you want a bike with high-tech parts or low tech parts?   
Low tech parts are easy to find, easy to fix, etc.
High tech parts are made of premium materials, are made for extreme conditions, and abusing handling.

If I want to do that kind of riding with hydraulic disk brakes, should I be worried?

thanks!

Regular Forumer
77 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Sep 2011 10:32 PM    Quote and Reply

a steel bike with eyelets for racks.. with durable parts. Thriple chainring and a 28c tyre.

Regular Forumer
1,542 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Sep 2011 10:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the post!

It seems you're voting for low-tech.  

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Sep 2011 10:46 PM    Quote and Reply

I prefer a Hi tech super bike with a support Van. hahahah!

Regular Forumer
148 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Sep 2011 10:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Steel frame is a must. Reason being, any hardware shop is able to weld a steel.. but not any will fix a carbon,alu or ti.. be it lack of technology or lack of knowledge.

Regular Forumer
1,542 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Sep 2011 11:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi again.

I didn't expect the frame to break so easily.
Will I need to care if I go on (mostly) paved roads and look for bike shops in the major cities?

It seems I just need more experience riding in remote areas.  Then I better understand what the bike and shops are capable of. 

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Sep 2011 12:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Bringing a Visa solves everything, at least thats what they are showing on the commercial.

I have no experience with long distance touring, but from what i know parts are generally the reliable high spoke counts wheels for reliability, lots of tyres and tubes. Modern frames and components are generally very reliable, i have a friend who did Brisbane to Sydney in his thrash mtb in touring form.

Most important thing is to bring lots of spare parts, have a good plan of the route and key stop/rest points. Have a good bail-out and emergency plan.

Regular Forumer
616 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Sep 2011 1:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Regular Forumer
1,542 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Sep 2011 6:36 AM    Quote and Reply

If you intend to travel to third world countries, just remember that the bike shops over there may not have high end parts. A friend went with us to Indonesia and a muddy ride wore down the brake pads. and every bike shop he went do not have Magura brake pads. So stick to common parts like v-brakes. Disc brake pads can be hard to find and if anything happens to the hydraulic system, are you able to repair it yourself because those ulu shops may not know how to bleed or even have mineral oil or the brake pads for your model.

Carry spares of anything that is of odd size like spokes, brake pads, tyres, tubes, On my trip to Bali, my rear derailleur jockey wheels drop off inside the planes cargo hold. On a trip to Endau-Rompin one of the guys rear rack screw dropped off, so have to carry some spare nut/bolts.

Also must carry the tools needed for all your repairs, allen keys, torx wrench, crank puller, chain breaker, spare chain links, spare brake/gear cables.

Finally invest in a good set of panniers to carry everything, my Indon trip got one guy use a PVC pannier which ripped and tear and all the contents fell out,,,,Lucky we manage to get duct tape and raffia strings to tie it up..

Regular Forumer
197 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Sep 2011 7:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for the posts!
Very Helpful!

I thought having a spiffy bike will also be magnet for theft, so it seems low-tech is the way to go...

Regular Forumer
77 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Sep 2011 11:11 AM    Quote and Reply

just look at the picture of my fleet, focus on the rigids.

the top row middle silver bike is the best among all the 'low-cost-steel' 26' and its so bomb proof and only RM 50 for 1 1/8. khs is 1' threaded fork. the taman commuter is also RM 50 for the frame, and i managed to find a lovely Gary Fisher rigid black 1/18 threadless fork to suit it.  

I <3 Coffee!

Regular Forumer
2,412 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Philippines
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings