Topic: Advice for newbie to cycle frm Serangoon North to Tanglin for work

Posted on: 10th Aug 2011 10:43 AM    Quote and Reply

woa.... dont scare me lehz. I very chickenfeet one. Better be safe than sorry...

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2011 10:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by saferide: woa.... dont scare me lehz. I very chickenfeet one. Better be safe than sorry..."

If you sense things not right, just cycle fast and furious for your life.  The unseen there are not on bikes, will not be bothered to chase after you who can go faster.  And they don't leave their area, only the living venture into their area now and then.

Do not dismiss these as nonsense.  It take one to experience it first hand to appreciate such happenings. 

It does not matter if it is day or night, 24/7 applicable.

Regular Forumer
209 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2011 12:02 AM    Quote and Reply

saferide

I don't commute much these days but still when i get on the road, preference is to take my mtb with knobbies over slicks. Doesnt matter HT or full sus, option is there when roads get too crowded and a hop gets onto the pavement to clear away from behind bus fumes and honking cars. I don't care if others on a swanky road bike view that as "uncool". Just more practical in my opinion including avoiding gutters and able to roll across drain gratings. Safer, as instead of zig zagging into an outer lane to get ahead with a load of traffice behind or to the side which may not see you coming out.

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,864 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Aug 2011 10:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Meowfifa: Kheam Hock Road
Can take YCB RD, Upper Serangoon, Jln Besah up...not too bad..

Quote:
"Formerly posted by cycle: Go via Lornie ! You can actually ride on the pavement along Lornie cos there is hardly any pedestrian !

Before the PIE junction, turn left onto Sime Road, which will lead you to Kheam Hock Road -> NIE -> Evans Road -> Cluny or Nassim Rd -> Tanglin Rd.

I'll say this is prob the and safest way to go. The route via Thomson - Chancery may be shorter, but the traffic condition can be quite bad."
"

Yes, this would be a very good route!  Especially since you're on MTB and speed isn't too much of a concern I suppose ?  The pavement on the side of Lornie towards Adam Road is largely unused safe perhaps for that '1 month' period of the year otherwise known as Qing Ming. On a typical morning, you would hard pressed to find anyone on it at all. 

As for your return route, I don't see it as a real problem. Its purely psychological. Kheam Hock road is fine, there are people who use it to connect their runs between Bukit Timah and Macritchie, even in the twilight. And in any case, even in the army, you hardly hear of any "real" stories about chinese cemetaries to you ?? So what's there to ponder about ?

Lor Sor Forumer
523 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2011 1:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Once again thanks for all the advice being dished out. I have more or less firmed up the few possible routes to commute and will ride it out to see which is to my liking. Thks guys and have a good day ahead, cheers!    

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Aug 2011 4:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi Saferide,

If its in the evening, the Chancery - Thomson route would be quite great !

Coming back to Bukit Brown, there is actually a well paved route from Lornie - Joan - Jalan Mashhor  - thru Bukit Brown to Kheam Hock. I won't ride it ALONE nor at NIGHT. BUT, with a group, it is a very peaceful and serene place to ride in the day.

Regular Forumer
230 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings