Topic: Advice for newbie to cycle frm Serangoon North to Tanglin for work

Posted on: 4th Aug 2011 5:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Need some advice frm the gurus here. I'm a PCN rider that normally does the EC to CV route but is considering whether to try and cycle to work daily. 

The most straight forward route will be thru amk, lornie, farrer, holland but the dreaded PIE stretch scares the hell out of me. Alternative will be the amk, marymount, novena,newton, scott route. Understand that the traffic around novena is pretty heavy during peak hours as well. Will like to check with fellow forumers whether are they any other options that can get me from Serangoon North to Tanglin.

I will want to reach tanglin around 830am and dont mind a longer route if it means a lesser traffic/safer route. Hope to receive your valuable inputs. Many thanks in advance.    
Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Aug 2011 6:40 PM    Quote and Reply

Sgoon North > Upper Sgoon Rd > Bendemeer Rd > Jln Besar > Bencoolen St > Fort Canning Rd > Oxley Rise > Orchard Blvd > Tanglin

Along the way have bus lanes, your unofficial bike lane actually.  Quite safe along this route. 

The Leonie Rd to Farrer is shorter but not safe as cars there speeding like xiao.

Regular Forumer
209 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Aug 2011 8:56 PM    Quote and Reply

This is about as short as it logically can without placing too much time on the high-speed traffic areas.

Serangoon North> AMK Ave 1> Marymount Road > Upper Thomson Road > Turn off at Chancery Lane > Chancery Lane > Balmoral Road > Anderson Road > Orange Grove Road > Orchard Road Exit at Orchard Hotel - Use the pavement to go towards Tanglin Mall direction. 

Do note that at peak hours, all these roads have heavy traffic, but those I list here, generally cars won't be travelling very fast due to the various and numerous junctions along the way.

Depending on which part of Tanglin you're working at. This may not work  well if you're further down the road at say the Brunei High Commission side. 

Lor Sor Forumer
523 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2011 10:05 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks  Fugthepug and Maxxevv for the pointers! 

I will never have think of these routes myself. Will find some time to recee these routes first before trying it out.  

Fugthepug:
As your proposed is mainly one way stretches, for returning guess will have to cycle the main stretch of Orchard road before turning to little India Serangoon road then all the way up right? Just a noob question (plse pardon me), are cyclist allowed on main orchard road stretch? We can still cycle on those red bus lanes right?

Maxxevv:
If I'm not wrong, certain stretches of the anderson >balmoral >chancery lane is either only one way traffic or those typical residential two way road where it will be quite tight to cycle on the road if there are traffic from both directions as the vehicles have nowwhere to go to bypass you. That means I may have to ride a short distance against traffic during returning and sometimes on pavement when traffic is tight. As I'm riding a Mtb with 1.5 slick tires, dont think it will be much of an issue.  Agree that this may be the shortest possible route. Many thanks!

Any other suggestions are welcome and may all have a good weekend ahead, cheers!  

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2011 10:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by saferide:

Maxxevv:
If I'm not wrong, certain stretches of the anderson >balmoral >chancery lane is either only one way traffic or those typical residential two way road where it will be quite tight to cycle on the road if there are traffic from both directions as the vehicles have nowwhere to go to bypass you. That means I may have to ride a short distance against traffic during returning and sometimes on pavement when traffic is tight. As I'm riding a Mtb with 1.5 slick tires, dont think it will be much of an issue.  Agree that this may be the shortest possible route. Many thanks!

"

The only stretch that is one-way is Anderson Road. That doesn't not pose a problem for an MTB on slicks as there are wide pavements on both sides of the road. 

Balmoral and Chancery are both single lane dual carriage roads.

If you need to counter check, you can always use Google Maps and utilize its 'Street View' facility to do a "cycle through" simulation. Actual street view and very, very useful especially going to uncharted new areas.

Regarding bus lanes, from the TP's mouth ... bicycles can legally use bus lanes. No issue at all. Just don't hog the lane and obstruct the buses.

But I seriously doubt you want to cycle on those lanes at peak hour ...  Cycling on Orchard Rd at peak hour isn't for the faint of heart or uninitiated.

Lor Sor Forumer
523 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2011 11:47 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Maxxevv,

Noted with thanks. Really appreciate your prompt and speedy replies, its been really useful. Hope that I can have the determination to get this going, if i succeed then it will be one less car and one more cyclist on the road, not to mentioned a fitter Singaporean too. Cheers!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Aug 2011 12:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Go via Lornie ! You can actually ride on the pavement along Lornie cos there is hardly any pedestrian !

Before the PIE junction, turn left onto Sime Road, which will lead you to Kheam Hock Road -> NIE -> Evans Road -> Cluny or Nassim Rd -> Tanglin Rd.

I'll say this is prob the and safest way to go. The route via Thomson - Chancery may be shorter, but the traffic condition can be quite bad.

Regular Forumer
230 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Aug 2011 3:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Chancery-- avoid during school start and closing time... mass orgy of big cars picking up the kids from school @ end intersecting Bukit Timah.

Also having some major re-construction at one of the houses near there... traffic in front is reduced to alternating one-way for the day but isn't a big issue for bikes. Otherwise once inside the traffic is usually smooth all the way to Thomson.

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,864 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Aug 2011 9:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Kheam Hock Road <---- The safest way......you will avoid the PIE filter lane. The fastest and dare I say the safest way from Serangoon North to Tanglin.

Can take YCB RD, Upper Serangoon, Jln Besah up...not too bad..

Quote:
"Formerly posted by cycle: Go via Lornie ! You can actually ride on the pavement along Lornie cos there is hardly any pedestrian !

Before the PIE junction, turn left onto Sime Road, which will lead you to Kheam Hock Road -> NIE -> Evans Road -> Cluny or Nassim Rd -> Tanglin Rd.

I'll say this is prob the and safest way to go. The route via Thomson - Chancery may be shorter, but the traffic condition can be quite bad."

Regular Forumer
1,293 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Aug 2011 10:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi cycle, anvil and Meowfifa,
Thanks for the advice! Will take note of the different routes and see which works best.

Cycle:
Your proposed route did occur to me but as you mentioned, it will be better/safer to cycle along the pavement. Was thinking of travelling both ways on the same route and this might be an issue during returning as there are usually runners on the pavement doing their runs at the macritchie side. Don't want to pose any inconvenience to them... Alternatively I can still cycle at the other side but i will be committing two wrongs, oops!, by both cycling on the pavement and against the traffic for quite a fair stretch of my journey. Will give it a shot and see how it goes.  
Think sometime back some other forumers did mentioned the same Kheam Hock Road stretch to bypass the PIE junction, just that it will pass by some cemeteries right? So some only use it during the day and not night, heez.....

anvil:
Thanks for the heads up. Will take note of the timings. Btw your blog rocks, wish I could do offroading like you do.... Ideally, I will be driving an SUV and riding a full sus. bike but reality is that I'm driving a normal saloon car and riding a hardtail on slicks. Ha!

Meowfifa:
By YCB RD, are you refering to Yio Chu Kang road?  

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Aug 2011 10:34 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by saferide: Think sometime back some other forumers did mentioned the same Kheam Hock Road stretch to bypass the PIE junction, just that it will pass by some cemeteries right? So some only use it during the day and not night, heez.....

"

That is Bukit Brown Cemetery where you can find the fiercest pontianaks at this time of the year.  I not sure you want to cycle along Kheam Hock Road all alone in the night, but is a good thing you dare to give it a try and come back to tell us more about the experience, if nothing happens to you.

Regular Forumer
209 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings