Topic: Bintan Off road riding

Posted on: 3rd May 2011 4:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

Just did an off road ride in Bintan with an adventure sports company. It was packaged with a hotel stay. The ride itself was quite tough with quite a lot of hilly terrain. But the climbs were worth it because of the great ocean views. The ride is about 2 to 3 hours.

The crew are all Indonesians and are really friendly. Quite suprisingly they were all on quite high end hard tails, fully equipped first-aid, pick-up and walkie talkies, so quite a good set up.

I think they have easier rides along the coast but I didn't join that. So anyway, a diffirent and interesting ride...
Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd May 2011 7:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Please share more about you trip!

Regular Forumer
331 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Anthem
Posted on: 3rd May 2011 8:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Were you the one riding duo along the coastal of Tanjung Pinang port on the evening of 2nd May? I saw two Singaporeans leisure cycling on some cool bikes. I think one is white and the other is a black bike.
Anyway, I am adopted son of Tj Pinang. Would like to gather friends to go road cycling from Tj Pinang to Trikora beach. Lots of nice views, uphill, slopes... Basically the traffic there is polite, provided we obey the rules. Then relax at Trikora and planning to get rooms nearby.

Regular Forumer
13 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd May 2011 9:34 PM    Quote and Reply

The ride is in Trikora. Its the Eastern part of Bintan. Everything was takn care off, hotels and land transfers. The ride starts early on Sunday from the hotel and we entered the trail quite quickly as its near the hotel. The route uses alot of gravel roads in the beginning but soon you are in single track country. It was really nice riding away from any built up area or traffic.

In the middle of the ride, unfortunately, there is a steep climb about 500m. Its too steep to ride so we had to carry the bikes up. That's the only downside. After that, the ride seems to be from hill top to hill top before gradually heading downhill.

I think the ride was great as it covered quite a variety of terrain. From hills, forest, grassy fields, farms, villages, oil palm plantation and finally a coastal road ride back to the hotel.

From talking to the guides, they have trails that can go inland to about 20km to 30kmĀ from road. All nothing inside except forests and hills, until if you don't know your way out, well you're not going to come out. The guides are all locals from the nearby town and are a real friendly bunch.

The off road ride ends at the beach, where you can relax for a while before heading back to the hotel by the coastal road. The coastal road ride is really nice because of the scenery and the rural environment. Quite nice to not have any traffic lights to stop.

According to the guides, quite a few Singaporeans are starting to ride in Bintan, but none really know how to go inland for off road trails, that's why they started this business. Before this they were in watersports and trekking.

Oh and they even washed and polished and relubed the bike after the ride and brought it back to the hotel for 10 bucks. Definately worth it!

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 4th May 2011 12:03 AM    Quote and Reply

Contact or link bro? Thanks.

Regular Forumer
64 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Riding:
Posted on: 18th May 2011 11:43 PM    Quote and Reply

hey do you mind pm'ing me the details of the package bro? thanks!Really interested in riding the trails

By the way, are the trails technical or more on enjoying the ride and scenery on singletrack?

Regular Forumer
464 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th May 2011 9:41 PM    Quote and Reply

They have several different ride routes. Easy and intermediate. But I think those are mainly for the hotel guest. I went for advanced route which is not on every weekend but on selected weekends only when there is a group from Singapore.

They also have some KTM bikes for rent if you don't want to bring your own. The bikes are mid spec with rockshok fork and SLX parts.

I booked the ride through an Adventure Tour Company but I think you can contact them direct at ride@clubkite.asia

Don't bother with the easy ride as they are really catered for people with little off-road experience.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Dec 2011 2:36 PM    Quote and Reply

davetan-sounds great. when are u organizing again? PM me im keen. have too many bikes at home and kind of sick of the same old places.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings