Thread is Sticky Topic: SG MTB Trails - Easiest to Most Difficult?

Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 3:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Hey all.

Recently I went to BT and found the trails alittle technical but overall fun. Just yesterday, I went to Kent Ridge and the trail was very very hard. I kinda spent 60% of my time in there walking along with my bike and examining the routes. I searched around the forums for a list of difficulty levels of the trails to no avail.

Can anyone based on experience of most or all courses in SG rate the trails from the easiest to the most challenging?

I'm sure it will benefit some newbies like me who just recently started this hobby.

A Big Thank You in Advance!

Freshie Forumer
5 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 4:49 PM    Quote and Reply

East Coast

Tampines Bike Trail

Gangsa

Track 15

Pulau Ubin

Bukit Timah

Kent Ridge

:)

Regular Forumer
361 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 4:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Tampines Bike Trail

Gangsa

Track 15

Bukit Timah

Kent Ridge

Ketam MTB Park (Pulau Ubin)

I feel Ketam (Pulau Ubin) should be rated above Kent Ridge if you take into account the Double Black Diamond obstacles.  

Regular Forumer
45 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 5:00 PM    Quote and Reply

still got a few unofficial "trails" or routes ... butterfly, woodcutter, and more...

they are generally more technical as the trails are for hikers or army ppl not us ... LOL

Regular Forumer
230 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 5:07 PM    Quote and Reply

I think those unofficial "trails" still rank below Kent Ridge or Ubin in terms of difficulty. But trickier than BT.  

Regular Forumer
45 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 5:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by sbs7123j: I think those unofficial "trails" still rank below Kent Ridge or Ubin in terms of difficulty. But trickier than BT.  "

yeah right... whilst there may be one or two points on ubin (double black) that are very technical, the roots in B******** alone will leave most walking or falling on the ground! stream crossings and drop offs in W********* leave most people walking from what I have seen.

on the flip side, i cant believe tampines or even gangsa can be ranked easier than track 15... i guess you arent doing gangsa or tampines properly?

Regular Forumer
132 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 5:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by sbs7123j:

I feel Ketam (Pulau Ubin) should be rated above Kent Ridge if you take into account the Double Black Diamond obstacles.  

"

No way jose....    Ubin is more of an intermediate trail, even with the super short 'black diamond' sections.  It's more of a flowy XC track than anything, so it's fun and nice to ride.  KR is by far above any other offroad trail in Singapore. 

Simple test - you'll sweat more in the first 1/3 of KR (say 600m) than you would for the entire Ubin trail (8+km), on equivalent cool days.  

Another test - chances of getting hurt or damaging equipment at KR is way way higher than any other trail.   

Guys, just go do KR now.. it's super eroded, tough and fun.

Regular Forumer
1,719 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 6:01 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by jamagz22:

East Coast

Tampines Bike Trail

Gangsa

Track 15

Pulau Ubin

Bukit Timah

Kent Ridge

:)

"

east coast got trail meh?

Regular Forumer
941 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 6:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by finchy:

Quote:
"Formerly posted by sbs7123j: I think those unofficial "trails" still rank below Kent Ridge or Ubin in terms of difficulty. But trickier than BT.  "

yeah right... whilst there may be one or two points on ubin (double black) that are very technical, the roots in B******** alone will leave most walking or falling on the ground! stream crossings and drop offs in W********* leave most people walking from what I have seen.

on the flip side, i cant believe tampines or even gangsa can be ranked easier than track 15... i guess you arent doing gangsa or tampines properly?

"

Chille, this is all about personal preferrence theres no right or wrong to the lists, and maybe others find certain trails more easy and or more difficult.

Regular Forumer
464 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 6:59 PM    Quote and Reply

With constraint of space, must bring passport if want to ride really technical trails.

By comparison, we only have chicken loops around here.

For trail / XC riding, even the most rooty and rockiest paths around here is hardly pushing  the limits on all the uber expensive components on uber expensive bikes.

No doubt some trails here will be more difficult than others. But with enuf rides thru all of them over time, none really post much of a problem....

Trail riding isn't that demanding and exacting like say doing a backflip or a 20ft drop where the slightest imperfection can mean serious injury/ death. By putting a tag of "most difficult" it only helps to stifle oneself and make the learning curve that much harder to overcome whatever obstacles are out there. Of course stay away from brainless gungho actions. Walking an unfamiliar section prior to riding is a good thing like what TS is doing. No shame, we all have to start somewhere....

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Apr 2009 7:10 PM    Quote and Reply

totally agree with dennis..

a i678.photobucket.com link target="linkedImage">

Senior Forumer
962 posts