Thread is Sticky Topic: BT 101 - Advice for BT newbie?

Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 2:34 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by vaportrail:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by anvil:

Erosion's been going on quite a while. Take the right line while coming down. The left is a potential wheel-grab-trap especially at speed. For bigger burlier bikes actually easier to hit stratight and come down the remaining rock patch, again just dun steer into the left halfway down.

"

Which rocky patch are you referring to exactly? Is it the downslope just before the open field. I haven't been to BT for more than a year...

"

Yup...thats the one. 

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 4:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by crankster:
Quote:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by DirtBags:

... the challenge in getting one round without any falls or spills gets me going for more speed and more adrenalin.

"

allo, the challenge for you is to pedal the entire lap without getting down to push lah 

"

trying trying.. so far record without getting off or stopping is from zhenghua park to stairs.. hahahhahahaha. the 2nd half takes the life out of me.. .. sigh..

single speed bike coming out this week. still wondering what ratio to run with the 16t.. sigh..

....and do it all on one gear

"

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 4:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
Quote:

... the challenge in getting one round without any falls or spills gets me going for more speed and more adrenalin.

"

allo, the challenge for you is to pedal the entire lap without getting down to push lah    "

Been crashing a lot lately... though... the last one left me winded and totally dusted left right centre. still suffering from a sprained wrist.

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 4:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:

Been crashing a lot lately... though... the last one left me winded and totally dusted left right centre. still suffering from a sprained wrist.

"

LOL u sounding like some discarded donut waiting to be picked up in the trash now! 

Regular Forumer
4,863 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 5:45 PM    Quote and Reply

with some milk oozing out for u to lick huh

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 28th Jun 2009 10:40 PM    Quote and Reply

anyway today one of the riders had an accident with a hiker! 2nd slope from carpark the concrete slope and a 3 japanese teenagers and 1 old japanese man.

single track downhill. the 4 people just move their bodies slanted against the trail. i missed them but my buddy didn't. hit one of them in the shoulder. didnt care about the hiker. but my buddy went flying into the bushes. i stopped threw bike on one end. and told the hiker that they shouldnt be there in the first place and at least give more clearance. he insisted that they had right of way and we were going too fast downhill. huh?? told me that we should slow down. well with that, its a different ball game the next time round. when will signs be put up???????

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 29th Jun 2009 11:03 PM    Quote and Reply

unfortunately it is never so clear cut.. juz like if a jaywalker gets hit by a car then the driver is often the 1st to get blamed for going too fast or failing to keep a lookout ....

personally i would rather avoid BT in the wkends.. too many MTBers still ok, but way too many hikers. maybe the designated hike trail not enough challenge for them already?

anyway hope ur buddy ok..

cheers

Regular Forumer
108 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Jun 2009 12:02 AM    Quote and Reply

actually hor, the best way to learn offroad is to ride a rigid hardtail mtb, and SS while ur at it. ;)

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Lor Sor Forumer
2,269 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Jun 2009 12:49 AM    Quote and Reply

I think maintenance work has to be done at BT too... looking dangerous these days... jagged rocks and weird portholes over the place

i'm a noobish mechanic
Regular Forumer
396 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Jun 2009 1:11 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by archphoenix: I think maintenance work has to be done at BT too... looking dangerous these days... jagged rocks and weird portholes over the place
"

Those are part of riding lah. Whats the point if they pave it over to be baby butt smooth.

Can't count on the proper things to be done to it. More and more veered towards being hiker-friendly. Might just be done so that usage as a biking trail may die a natural death over time with the influx of the non wheeled users.

Either get better at riding and or get a beefier bike

Go to other trails

Sound like another of my bitching session about BT but then just heard from a fren yesterday of another incident where another rider fell (not sure crash into or crash in order to avoid smacking someone head on.

This expat family from the Land of the Rising Sun walking like a troop of monkeys spanning the entire width at "Bowling Alley" and insist they have right of way on a shared trail.

Regular Forumer
4,863 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings