Thread is Sticky Topic: BT 101 - Advice for BT newbie?

Posted on: 7th Jun 2009 2:46 PM    Quote and Reply

I just came back from BT...

one thing to note, it has been at least 2 years since I last gone back, and it has deteriorated so much! There are sharp stones protruding everywhere, littered durian and rambutan, uneven forage, and terrain that looked as if they were deliberately crafted to be hiker friendly (loads of steps and holes).

The rocky decent became just a sea of rocks in the middle with two thin lines quickly sinking by its side (which could be quite dangerous, for one day there won't be enough soil to hold the rocks)

For Newbies, I think better stay out of BT until you get the hang of mountain biking...

i'm a noobish mechanic
Regular Forumer
396 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jun 2009 3:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by archphoenix:

I just came back from BT...

terrain that looked as if they were deliberately crafted to be hiker friendly (loads of steps and holes).

"

its not just those..... u saw "Bowling Alley"?

Quote:
"

The rocky decent became just a sea of rocks in the middle with two thin lines quickly sinking by its side (which could be quite dangerous, for one day there won't be enough soil to hold the rocks)

"

Erosion's been going on quite a while. Take the right line while coming down. The left is a potential wheel-grab-trap especially at speed. For bigger burlier bikes actually easier to hit stratight and come down the remaining rock patch, again just dun steer into the left halfway down.

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,864 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jun 2009 11:05 PM    Quote and Reply

yea bowling alley lol!

I wonder if NParks is going to do anything, or eventually want it to be a hiker path... sighs...

i'm a noobish mechanic
Regular Forumer
396 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 12:41 AM    Quote and Reply

i rode the rocky section. was pretty ok. not that bad at all. its mountain biking so.. can't expect too many smooth lines right?

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 1:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by DirtBags: i rode the rocky section. was pretty ok. not that bad at all. its mountain biking so.. can't expect too many smooth lines right?"

but what about beginners? :(

i'm a noobish mechanic
Regular Forumer
396 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 11:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by archphoenix:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by DirtBags: i rode the rocky section. was pretty ok. not that bad at all. its mountain biking so.. can't expect too many smooth lines right?"

but what about beginners? :(
"

I think if u set the saddle a little lower first, then get rolling on the downs with brakes of course, slowly, u can ease off the brakes, get off the saddle and roll in faster. trust ur bike more, lean ur weight a little further back, spend more effort in getting the bike under control, u will get to enjoy all the trails.

its about getting acustomed. I think many beginners started in Bt. my first ride was in BT. untill now, i am still a beginner just a little faster only. the challenge in getting one round without any falls or spills gets me going for more speed and more adrenalin.

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 11:14 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by DirtBags:

... the challenge in getting one round without any falls or spills gets me going for more speed and more adrenalin.

"

allo, the challenge for you is to pedal the entire lap without getting down to push lah 

Regular Forumer
4,864 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 11:40 AM    Quote and Reply

I could see him cooking up a 12/34 ratio in answer to ur challenge

12 front.....

Regular Forumer
4,864 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 1:37 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by crankster:

....I wondered where to find a smaller front chainring hahahaha.....

"

i'm sure our  "little" fren will bend over to file his frame bb area and put a trials crank which can run mini rings just to up ur challenge.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ed/d3/c1b7_2.JPG

Regular Forumer
4,864 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 8th Jun 2009 1:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by anvil:

Erosion's been going on quite a while. Take the right line while coming down. The left is a potential wheel-grab-trap especially at speed. For bigger burlier bikes actually easier to hit stratight and come down the remaining rock patch, again just dun steer into the left halfway down.

"

Which rocky patch are you referring to exactly? Is it the downslope just before the open field. I haven't been to BT for more than a year...

Regular Forumer
113 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings