Thread is Sticky Topic: BT 101 - Advice for BT newbie?

Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 10:21 AM    Quote and Reply

Hey all,

I just got a MTB, intending to try the trails at Bukit Timah.

Basically, I am a roadie, and know almost close to nothing, nada, zilch about trails. The last time i was on a trail was years ago riding a rental MTB at Pulau Ubin.

Any advice for this MTB and BT newbie will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
Regular Forumer
458 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 10:33 AM    Quote and Reply

Bring water and spare tube.

Regular Forumer
468 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 11:11 AM    Quote and Reply

helmet and guards as well..

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 11:30 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks hdrcorp and Dirtbags,

Ok, i got my camelpak and helmet. 

Don't have mtb shorts, but i figured can wear tri shorts or cycling tights under a pair of berms?

What are guards?

And how much should i pump my tyres? Am using Maxxis 1.9s.

"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
Regular Forumer
458 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 11:38 AM    Quote and Reply

if you can do ubin trails on a rental, bt probably wouldn't be too difficult for you .

Why wear tights under berms ? Just wear it like that la ..  

Old Salt Forumer
148 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 11:50 AM    Quote and Reply

your level of fitness as a roadie would make bt first time a pleasant one. the downs are where most accidents happen. Do wear elbow pads or knee/shin pads to prevent unnecessary abrasion/cuts.

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 12:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Gloves...to ease your hands

Regular Forumer
331 posts

Singapore
Riding:
1) Anthem
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 12:10 PM    Quote and Reply

u did the ubin simple trails or ubin ketam mtb trails? theres a great difference. it good to wear berms over ur tights. in case u fall ur precious tights wont get ripped

Regular Forumer
161 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 12:30 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by DirtBags: your level of fitness as a roadie would make bt first time a pleasant one. the downs are where most accidents happen. Do wear elbow pads or knee/shin pads to prevent unnecessary abrasion/cuts."

Eh not true, ok?  I know a roadie who can avg 40kmh on the roads...   very seasoned.  But CMI offroad...   instincts, habits and technique just not there.  Usually about 40min for 1 round of BT.     Not to say that cordia will be so jialat, but never assume anything.

Regular Forumer
1,719 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 1:55 PM    Quote and Reply

hahaha respect for roadies cos i rode with one that climbed like a mountain goat...

Regular Forumer
2,590 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2009 2:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by chwee:

Quote:
"Formerly posted by DirtBags: your level of fitness as a roadie would make bt first time a pleasant one. the downs are where most accidents happen. Do wear elbow pads or knee/shin pads to prevent unnecessary abrasion/cuts."

Eh not true, ok?  I know a roadie who can avg 40kmh on the roads...   very seasoned.  But CMI offroad...   instincts, habits and technique just not there.  Usually about 40min for 1 round of BT.     Not to say that cordia will be so jialat, but never assume anything.

"

The same usual suspect here....hyperventilation when the momentum is broken every now and then in offroad situation vs road riding. One of the very first thing I tell most that are new to offroad when they join for rides. Regulate breathing.  Things they  tend to do right after a climb is try to catch up for lost time by going back to very high gears and start pounding without catching their breath (most time having  a seasoned offroader who can do just that is not great example esp if the newbie actually has some riding background and can rip on the roads but misjudging the fact that he/she has got to spend alot of efort to tackle terrain compared to tarmac)

....then come the next downhill stretch, the adrenaline kicking in just help to suck the breath away. So on the way  up, followed by straight and down rush-- all the way no rest and nerves pinging away which helps to pump up the heart rate, no wonder many will "puncture" halfway.

http://bikes-bikes-bikes.blogspot.sg/
Regular Forumer
4,863 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings