Topic: Experienced overseas riders - Preparation needed?

Posted on: 5th Jan 2009 9:04 PM    Quote and Reply

After reading Yimian's amazing (it was to me, at least!) ride in Japan, I was wondering if the old birds on the forum who have the experience of preparing for overseas point to point rides - what are some key considerations that you need to make before you embark on the journey? I already have some questions in mind:

- How do you get another box to pack in your bike for the way home... if you already discarded the first box when you touched down or reached your hotel/inn?

- How do you ensure you are on the way - GPS etc? Anything specific or helpful you did? Softcopy of maps that you printed to use along the way?

- Tools - what were your own "bare minimum" that you wouldn't travel without? I know of at least one rider who rides with a BB tool on Bintan rides   

- Climates - was the place you visited - freezing? Cooling, just like a massive air-conditioned room? Hot as hell? What kind of clothing did you wear?

- Racks - How do you fix a rack to your bike... especially if you don't have eyelets for panniers on your seatstay as well as around the rear dropout area - just like mine? Any photos of your setup?

Thanks mates - intending to pull off such an effort to Tokyo with my girlfriend - and I realize that I don't have all the answers even for my own bike, let alone hers!  

'ShutterBugger'
2,137 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Jan 2009 9:08 PM    Quote and Reply

Silly me - how could I forget to ask these!

- In your experience, what was the charges associated with shipping the bike over to your destination, and were there funny rules by the airline too? Any good or bad surprises that came along too?

- Did you wear cycling tights for the entire journey?

'ShutterBugger'
2,137 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jan 2009 1:04 AM    Quote and Reply

your answer is here ..... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

Good luck and be safe

scx

Regular Forumer
73 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 7th Jan 2009 7:33 AM    Quote and Reply

1. Look for a bicycle shop in the place/country in your in to pack your bike in a box.

2. Get a map or GPS before the trip.

3. Tubes, Tire levers.

4. Clothing - Depending on climate

5. For frames without rack mounts, get a seatpost mounted rack from Topeak. Great for light "credit card touring".

6. Shipping charges are dependent on the airline.

Senior Forumer
561 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jan 2009 9:05 AM    Quote and Reply

I did a ride in Nepal a few weeks ago while on holiday with family.

Before the trip I managed to locate a local bike rental center who stock full range of Commencal bikes and everything was arranged (including frame size) before my trip.This is what I think you should do if you are not bringing your bike over.

A guide was provided and I have a wonderful ride mainly singletrack and a long downhill section (something you will never get in SG). Riding through villages and with snow cap mountains next to you, what else can you ask for.  The guide is important as you will not be familiar with the trail.

Let me know if anyone interested and I'll provide the contact.

Regular Forumer
36 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jan 2009 9:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi kiteman, could you pm me the contact? how long was your riding trip and how much? thanks

Freshie Forumer
6 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Jan 2009 9:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Received a few PM asking about Nepal ride.

Their website is: http://www.nepalmountainbike.com

Or you can send them an email: info@nepalmountainbike.com"> info@nepalmountainbike.com and ask for TANgi

They have Commencal Supreme DH, Mini-DH, Meta and some HTs, all very good condition.

I booked a day trip which cost me Euro 35 with guides (two in fact), helmet, knee/shin guide, gloves. But I can only tahan half a day riding.

Alternatively you can book for a MTB holiday with them which can be a few days to 14 (or more) days. Was told average riding time daily is abt 5+ hours.

To them every mountain is a trail and it's really a very nice experience. 

Was told I'm the first Singaporean to book a bike with them. unfortunately I didn't bring a camera with me during the ride hence can't share any photos. 

Regular Forumer
36 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Jan 2009 9:38 PM    Quote and Reply

There's lots of info online (eg http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?page_id=1&fid=5&tid=56290&loc=active) plus some books on cyclo-touring. What follows below is just an outline which i hope helps.

1. Nightstops: where will you spend the night? Consider the distance and ride/road conditions (eg gradient, on-road or off-road or both, wind direction and strength, and the load you're carrying). All these affect how far you can go during daylight hours (unless it's feasible to ride at night). If you intend to camp, or stay under a roof (be it thatched or otherwise), you'll need to carry appropriate stuff (see Necessities).

2. Navigation: once you've figured out your route and nightstops, how will you get there? i use a map (can drop it and ride over it, it still works haha) and compass. what are the landmarks, roadsigns and other directions that tell you you're on the right track day after day? how up to date / accurate is the map anyway? i look at other's travellers' recent experiences to triangulate my data.

3. Nutrition: feeding and watering - if your route is sparsely populated, carry more rations. Eat "fresh" (also, "boil it, cook it, peel it or forget it") if you can, to spare your rations which you'll really need when no other food / water is available.

4. Necessities: if roughing it out, a tent is useful unless you're sure it won't rain / snow. Some people camp and cook and equipment is needed for this. What's the weather like, will it rain, is it cold and if so, how cold? that affects what clothes to ride / sleep in. Sunblock? Think about the details eg what kind of tyre pump; if you need high tyre pressure and you have to do >100 strokes to get proper tyre pressure, you will tire fast :P

Some things are neccessary for some but not others eg camera, insurance with emergency evacuation, spare tyres, spare spokes ... The more you carry, the more you weary. Affects your bike setup too (my bike has no eyelets for panniers so i ride with a seatpost rack).

If you leave something out and you can't buy it while on the road (like certain kinds of batteries) ...

5. Nasties: what kind of innoculations are needed (some go for tetanus jabs, others go for more depending on the place)? Are there doggies and are they generally friendly? Are there baddies about? For these, look at travel advisories. Bed bugs and mites (it might help to take a look before you book a room).

If your bike comes back in a box and you don't, that's generally a good ride :P

Go where you've not been to in life. Cycle.
lifecyclesg.blogspot.com
Senior Forumer
118 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jan 2009 9:25 AM    Quote and Reply

nice read on all your contributions!!!

no one can be totally prepared for any ride, except those experienced ones on their usual trips. especially if you've never gone on one before.

so the best thing to do is to pack what you think you need (of course also by asking around) and GO! after the first trip, you learn what you NEED and what you don't. then revise your equipment for your next trip.

dammit.. miss those days.

SHUT UP AND RIDE!
'Boomer'
1,173 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jan 2009 4:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi liked to ask some of the experience rider who been up the penisula. Like to check which high way is not allowed if i intend to cycle up to maybe as far as Penang?

Is it possible to have a guideline which highway or road is not allowed on?

Thanks

Regular Forumer
10 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings