Topic: Can I bring my bike onto a Ferry to Bintan?

Posted on: 28th May 2008 10:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys,

I've been trying to converse with the ferry operators but it's so difficult because they can't seem to converse in proper english and I don't want to get the wrong information and end up being held up at the ferry terminal.

Anyway, I'm going to Bintan via Penguin Ferry Service and I know I can bring my bicycle but I need to know if I need to pack my bicycle into a bag or box. Or can I just push it along with me?

Anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!
Ervine Lin

Regular Forumer
16 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 28th May 2008 10:06 PM    Quote and Reply

They do speak English...

Just pay about $20 for the bike and your ferry fare and you're done. You don't need to pack it. Just push it into the ferry.

Where are you taking the ferry? Tanah Merah?

Senior Forumer
561 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th May 2008 11:16 PM    Quote and Reply

Yah they do speak english, but when I e-mailed them to do the booking the replies that I got were a little difficult to understand. And when I went to the booth at Harbourfront to enquire they weren't very helpful either.

I almost booked Falcon but I was told that I can't bring my bikes onboard. So penguin is the only option.

Yeap taking from Tanah Merah, anything else I should know?

Thanks again!
Ervine

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th May 2008 11:42 PM    Quote and Reply

Sounds like you intend to take the ferry to Tanjung Pinang, at the southern tip, rather than the resort area in the north.  Think it was just $5 more to bring a bike along if you were taking the ferry to the resorts.  Yah, no need to pack it in box or what.. just wheel it in.

Regular Forumer
1,720 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 29th May 2008 12:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by chwee: Sounds like you intend to take the ferry to Tanjung Pinang, at the southern tip, rather than the resort area in the north.  Think it was just $5 more to bring a bike along if you were taking the ferry to the resorts.  Yah, no need to pack it in box or what.. just wheel it in.
"

HI,JUST TO PUSH BIKE in from harbour front to batam now costs $10.

Regular Forumer
148 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 29th May 2008 1:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks guys, yup I'm going from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to Tanjung Pinang town in Bintan, from there making my way to the eastern coast.

Away from the northern resort town actually...

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2008 12:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Just to let everyone know, I managed to get to Bintan and back with my bike.

Here's more info for those who want to go.

Bike handling charge for ferry going to Tanjung Pinang - $10/bike you need to check in your bike at the baggage check in counter

Bike handling charge disembarking at Tanjung Pinang - $2/bike (although I really think this is unnecessary) The porters in orange will very quickly take your bike down from the boat and bring it to the pier to wait for you.

Bike handling charge embarking at Tanjung Pinang - $5/bike I'm not sure if this can be bargained but it was cheaper than the Singapore side so we didn't complain.

The bike might/will get salt sprayed on it when on the ferry, so try to remove all lights, speedos and stuff from it before you load it on.

Also, make sure that the porters or yourself physically bring the bikes off the ferry. Don't assume that they will take it for you.

Yups! That's about it.

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2008 9:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Just ignore the so-called porters. They are just out to make a quick buck. Always do the bike handling yourself to avoid getting cheated. I recommend getting to your bike early before the ferry docks and carry it off the craft and up the jetty yourself. Ditto when you get back on board the boat for your return journey.

No need to be so kind. If not you will be seen as an easy target by the touts who hang around the jetties. Clearing customs still involves having the bike in your possession, and there are no porters at the more remote islands, so why should you be paying for an extraneous service that does not serve any purpose?

AR

Lor Sor Forumer
284 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Jun 2008 5:31 PM    Quote and Reply

wow 10$ to bring the back in the ferry! Talk about inflation, last time I went was only 5$ and already felt like a ripoff!

Agree with the post above, no need to give any money to the people unloading your bike in Indonesia and on the way back just push the bike yourself.  Seems that they do this extra "service" only in Bintan

Where did you sleep in Bintan?

Outside Tanjung Pinang, I have only stayed once at that place near Pantai Trikora called Shady Shack which is totally overpriced. LOL, I see he is now charging 25 SGD!!!

http://www.lobo.kinemotion.de/www/accomodation.html

Anybody can suggest any alternative sleeping place along the coast? 

Regular Forumer
11 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Jun 2008 11:32 PM    Quote and Reply

I stayed at Yasin Bungalows, went for the deluxe room coz I wanted more space to put the bikes in the room. USD$12/pax/night, normal rooms go for USD$8/pax/night I believe.

From the looks of it, it looks better than Shady Shack.

Regular Forumer
16 posts

Singapore
Regular Forumer
17 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings