Topic: 7 Cyclists’ Hand Signs You Should Know On the Roads

Posted on: 9th Oct 2017 10:40 AM    Quote and Reply

While on the roads, one of two things can happen: road rage, or happy smiles of acknowledgment. The former is caused by cyclists or car drivers neglecting their please and thank you hand signs and simply take their right of way rudely. The latter results because of a friendly wave; a passing smile of acknowledgment as thanks at the other giving way, or according you some form of courtesy.

It’s thus important to know your hand signs if you’re cycling on the roads frequently. It’s even more crucial if you’re leading a pack of cyclists and have to give them clear hand signals on that group trip spanning Changi Village to Paya Lebar through Katong.

Read more..
http://www.togoparts.com/magazine/guide/7-cyclists-hand-signs-know-roads/

Regular Forumer
71 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 30th May 2019 1:01 PM    Quote and Reply

So sorry, I just happened to saw the article dated 9th October 2017, minutes ago.

Sad and frightening that all the 7 hand signals shown were wrong. So lucky, when I were a kid, my father bought us a junior bicycle to teach us cycling and road safety (he never fell from bicycle until a taxi making an illegal U-turn knocked him down).

First, the bicycle needs to be re-configured for our local right-hand-drive traffic system. Almost all bicycles are imported for left-hand-drive traffic system (about 70% of the world using left-hand-drive traffic system). Do not perceive (LTA like that?). If you do not know, ask. 

Hand signals are to be given, before the next action (eg. slowing down, turning, stop). Not as after-thought. Do not perceive.

Do not use non-standard hand signals which the non-cycling public do not know (coin on floor/tap for backache?). Do not perceive.

Can learn from properly-trained cycling coach, if in doubt.

Regular Forumer
6,164 posts
Forum Rep: 40

Singapore
Posted on: 30th May 2019 1:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Dantan89:

While on the roads, one of two things can happen: road rage, or happy smiles of acknowledgment. The former is caused by cyclists or car drivers neglecting their please and thank you hand signs and simply take their right of way rudely. The latter results because of a friendly wave; a passing smile of acknowledgment as thanks at the other giving way, or according you some form of courtesy.

It’s thus important to know your hand signs if you’re cycling on the roads frequently. It’s even more crucial if you’re leading a pack of cyclists and have to give them clear hand signals on that group trip spanning Changi Village to Paya Lebar through Katong.

Read more..
http://www.togoparts.com/magazine/guide/7-cyclists-hand-signs-know-roads/

"
I do not wish to be rude/arrogant. I meant you good. Road rage usually due to one and/or more parties having perception being not aligned. No signal/wrong signal/misleading signal, are among the common trigger for road rage. Of course, being drunk ever started such road rage. Our first road cycling trip could be our last, if not done safely. Always dedicate due diligence to road safety (someone 'the with right of way' did rode head on at full speed into a bus that failed to comply with the Highway Code. That cyclist died on the spot). Another cycled into a broken down lorry also at full speed. Passer-by called ambulance for the unconscious casualty.

Leading a pack (peleton) of cyclists along public road, is not cycling in an orderly manner. Cycling along public road should in single file, for safety reason. Except during an over-taking, cycling two abreast, is additional accident risk. Likewise, squeezing between two cyclists, or in zig-zag manner.

Next, for a start, those cut and paste hand signals are all incorrect. Do feel free to learn from properly trained cycling coach.

Regular Forumer
6,164 posts
Forum Rep: 40

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings