Topic: Road riding safety

Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 8:46 AM    Quote and Reply

Hello guys. Would like to get your opinion. Saw a video posted on Singapore Reckless Drivers group on FB. Basically a few cyclists were condemned for riding wrongly on the road (https://www.facebook.com/sgreckless/videos/1625192567543762/)

Read through the comments and seems like there are two sides to the argument:

1) Cyclists were in the wrong as they did not cycle on the leftmost lane, stop and dismount, and push across the pedestrian crossing to Turn Right. 

2) Cyclists were right as they stayed in the leftmost lane of the direction they were turning into.

I am a newbie cyclist myself and wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from the guru’s here 😀 thanks

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 10:00 PM    Quote and Reply

ITS NOT AN OFFENCE IF THEY ARE TURNING RIGHT. they are still within a right turn lane. The lane they are on is a right turn lane. maybe they did not notice that the left most is a turning lane. its ok as they did not go the the most right lane. they did not go to the furtherest right lane, is because once u turn right, u will be "trapped" on the outtermost right lane , which is for fast moving vehicles and u need to literally struggle to get back to the left most lane and most probly get honked while trying to switch back to the left most lane.

Let me tell u alot of @$$hole drivers in that group are anti-cyclist, they believe that cyclist dont pay road tax means they are treated as lesser users with no previliage at all..ignore those comments that say cyclist are road hogging.

another way of giving u more confidence is go read up the highwaycode book. it tell u what are your rights as a cyclist

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 11:17 PM    Quote and Reply

In any accident .  Head they win , Tail you lose

Be more visible on the road.   switch on your flashing head and tail lights even daytime

Regular Forumer
67 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 27th Sep 2017 10:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SeyKai: In any accident .  Head they win , Tail you lose

Be more visible on the road.   switch on your flashing head and tail lights even daytime"

and if I may add ride defensively.

Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Sep 2017 5:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Fact
Cyclist can use the roads and if turning right, follow the traffic rules and take the lane.

Opinion
How confident are you on the road? Need time to gain experience before going on busy road.

Pavement/PCN/quiet roads are fun to pick up your bike handling skills before going on longer, faster rides on road.

Unless you are on road bikes... then better go as a group the first few rides.

Regular Forumer
21 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Oct 2017 8:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Well, To make every cycling experience positive (and safe), follow safe biking practices. Most of these habits are geared towards keeping the cyclist visible to drivers and pedestrians in order to prevent accidents. Read more at giordana cycling.

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Oct 2017 8:38 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by weijintan: Hello guys. Would like to get your opinion. Saw a video posted on Singapore Reckless Drivers group on FB. Basically a few cyclists were condemned for riding wrongly on the road (https://www.facebook.com/sgreckless/videos/1625192567543762/)

1) Cyclists were in the wrong as they did not cycle on the leftmost lane, stop and dismount, and push across the pedestrian crossing to Turn Right. 

2) Cyclists were right as they stayed in the leftmost lane of the direction they were turning into.

I am a newbie cyclist myself and wanted to get some thoughts and opinions from the guru’s here 😀 thanks

"

There is no right or wrong here. What matters is which situation is safer?

Please do not read too much into the comments from both sides. Most posts are just trolls. 

Best way is actually to get a proper driving license, drive on the road to get a practical perspective of being a driver. Follow by ride on the road now that you know how a driver perceive cyclist on the road. This will provide you a balanced judgement of how a cyclist should ride safely.

It is not a matter of insisting on your rights but rather how you can share the road to make everyone safer.

One example I do is usually not to overtake a bus after it overtakes me to stop at a bus stop to pick passengers up. I will just stop behind the bus and signal it to go ahead first. 

At traffic lights I will stop together with the cars even when it looks safe to beat the red lights. You don’t beat red lights when driving so being a cyclist doesn’t give you any special self perceived privilege to do it. (Other countries may have laws that allow cyclist to roll through, but not here)

If a car filtering out stops and let you pass, even though it is your right since you are traveling straight. Wave a thank you to the driver. 

Little things like this earns mutual respect. Makes your ride safer. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Oct 2017 5:58 AM    Quote and Reply

The cyclist must be slowing its speed since he is on the wrong side of the road regardless the he wants to turn right. He should be on the nearest right lane to be able to turn safely and yes the head light should be flashing to warn the pedestrian.

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 7th Nov 2017 12:50 PM    Quote and Reply

The best awareness and cycling safety for cyclers is to always follow the "HIGHWAY CODE". Once you know the basics of road cycling, you can start to enjoy using a bike for everyday journeys to work, school or to visit friends.  

Freshie Forumer
9 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Dec 2017 1:30 PM    Quote and Reply

These awareness programm and cycle safety tips are nice. Very beneficial  for the peoples like me .

Regular Forumer
18 posts

Posted on: 29th May 2019 11:39 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by weijintan: Hello guys. Would like to get your opinion. Saw a video posted on Singapore Reckless Drivers group on FB. Basically a few cyclists were condemned for riding wrongly on the road (https://www.facebook.com/sgreckless/videos/1625192567543762/)

"
Sometimes, I still cycle that 6 lanes (no typo error), towards Seletar Airport. Lane 4, 5, 6, are left turning lanes into TPE. Keeping left as cyclist, means I do sometimes get caught in Lane 6, looking out for safe opportunity to serve gradually into Lane 5, 4, 3, as I need to cycle straight ahead (Lane 1 for turning right). On occassion when traffic is heavier, no amount of hand signalling would allow me to safely served across all 3 lanes. I would turn into the waiting area for pedestrian, and dismount. Then I would use the pedestrian crossing as a pedestrian, to cross all 3 lanes safely. After which I would proceed to cycle along Lane 3, towards Seletar Airport. Let us hope this can help.

Regular Forumer
6,184 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings