Topic: Pedestrian crossing vs. running the red light?

Posted on: 1st Aug 2016 7:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Togo folks,

For the very first time, I yelled at someone on the road today during a early night ride.

For those who cycles around Punggol PCN, you should know that there's a pedestrian crossing over the Punggol way nearby the Marina Country Club. So today around 7:30PM when I was slowly crossing it, taking a slight glance at my left food trying to clip in, there's a foreign worker (from the look, no offence to them all) cycling without helmet or light was running against the red light without even slowing down. I was so frightened that the fxxk word just came out by itself. 

Seriously guys, as I know that based on the law cyclists must dismount and push over pedestrians crossings, so who's fault it would be if accident happened just now?

Regular Forumer
91 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Posted on: 2nd Aug 2016 8:27 AM    Quote and Reply

Understand how you feel. I pass through that crossing once a week when I cycle through the PCN, and saw the foreign worker cyclists running the red light most of the time. Only a rare few will bother stopping at the light to let people cross safely. One of them just crossed my path last Saturday when the green man was in my favour; good thing I saw him from a distance and anticipated that he won't slow down, so had taken necessary precaution.

In the event of an accident, you as a pedestrain will be in favour of the law, but the physical injury ain't gonna be worth whatever compensation you can get out of the other party. So, next best measure is to exercise prudence near such crossings which are known to have many errant users, so as to protect yourself better.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Aug 2016 3:01 PM    Quote and Reply

This is not so bad as what happened to me recently.

Cycling down Clementi Road towards NUS. At ulu pandan junction lights were in my favour so I proceeded. However the front car turning right from clementi road (from NUS direction) into ulu pandan road decided to turn even though I was already crossing the junction. I has to jam my brakes. Worse part was the rest of the cars also followed that idiot's lead and all started turning. Suddenly I was stuck in the middle of the junction with cars driving pass in front and behind me. And it was still green light in my favour. I have to slowly inch forward till I can clear the junction.

Regular Forumer
30 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Aug 2016 3:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SgtJoe86: Understand how you feel. I pass through that crossing once a week when I cycle through the PCN, and saw the foreign worker cyclists running the red light most of the time. Only a rare few will bother stopping at the light to let people cross safely. One of them just crossed my path last Saturday when the green man was in my favour; good thing I saw him from a distance and anticipated that he won't slow down, so had taken necessary precaution.

In the event of an accident, you as a pedestrain will be in favour of the law, but the physical injury ain't gonna be worth whatever compensation you can get out of the other party. So, next best measure is to exercise prudence near such crossings which are known to have many errant users, so as to protect yourself better."

Thanks for sharing, I'll take extra caution when crossing next time.

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Posted on: 2nd Aug 2016 3:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by predator67: This is not so bad as what happened to me recently.

Cycling down Clementi Road towards NUS. At ulu pandan junction lights were in my favour so I proceeded. However the front car turning right from clementi road (from NUS direction) into ulu pandan road decided to turn even though I was already crossing the junction. I has to jam my brakes. Worse part was the rest of the cars also followed that idiot's lead and all started turning. Suddenly I was stuck in the middle of the junction with cars driving pass in front and behind me. And it was still green light in my favour. I have to slowly inch forward till I can clear the junction."

Sounds terrifying...were you wearing a clipless shoes? Coz I can imagine if I myself had to jam the wheels in an emergency there'll be high chance that I won't be able to unclip ontime and would just fell down which can lead to fatality...

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Posted on: 3rd Aug 2016 4:31 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by bdlee:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by predator67: This is not so bad as what happened to me recently.

Cycling down Clementi Road towards NUS. At ulu pandan junction lights were in my favour so I proceeded. However the front car turning right from clementi road (from NUS direction) into ulu pandan road decided to turn even though I was already crossing the junction. I has to jam my brakes. Worse part was the rest of the cars also followed that idiot's lead and all started turning. Suddenly I was stuck in the middle of the junction with cars driving pass in front and behind me. And it was still green light in my favour. I have to slowly inch forward till I can clear the junction."

Sounds terrifying...were you wearing a clipless shoes? Coz I can imagine if I myself had to jam the wheels in an emergency there'll be high chance that I won't be able to unclip ontime and would just fell down which can lead to fatality..."

Yeah clipless shoes. Managed this time though the last time a car came out of temasek club and I fell when I jam brakes because I couldnt unclip in time. But that was uphill which makes it harder for me.

Regular Forumer
30 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Aug 2016 4:33 PM    Quote and Reply

I always wanted to know how people achieve average speed of 35kmph on strava. I have phobia and slow down at each junction so no way to reach that kind of average speed haha

Regular Forumer
30 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Aug 2016 8:37 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by predator67: I always wanted to know how people achieve average speed of 35kmph on strava. I have phobia and slow down at each junction so no way to reach that kind of average speed haha"

I think Strava has an auto pause function when it senses slow or no movement but from my experience it doesn't really work well. 
I mannual pause the tracking whenever I have to stop:)
But yet I can't reach anything even close to 30kph:)

Regular Forumer
91 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings