Topic: Government may impose speed limits for cyclists on Park Connectors

Posted on: 28th Mar 2016 10:56 AM    Quote and Reply

>when there is an accident, the cyclist can be charged and not scot-free... So thumbs up! 

Speed limits have **no** impact upon whether or not a cyclist can be charged after a collision - anyone doing any sort of rash act anywhere can be changed.

Speed limits just mean that you can be fined when the police decide to do a sting. How exactly will this work? Will bicycles be required to have speedometers so you know if you are going 15km/h? Do any of the people who support 15km/h speed limits know how slow this actually is? Will my little children be fined if they go faster than 15km/h on their kick scooters or bicycles? Will people who are running be able to run faster than you can legally ride a bicycle? (The good athletes in the foot races which sometimes take in the east coast PCN run at 20km/h).

Regular Forumer
67 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Mar 2016 12:07 PM    Quote and Reply

yes, I agree with you.
Imposing speed limits seems to me to be the 'lazy' way of defining guilt.
They need some measurable value, since the enforcement officers seem incapable of deciding what is "reckless/dangerous behaviour".

For example, riding at 15km/h through crowded sections of the PCN (e.g. in front of Lagoon Food Centre at ECP, or along Punggol PCN near Popeyes Tebing Lane) is also very dangerous, particularly if the cyclist shows no intention of slowing down to allow people to cross safely.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 29th Mar 2016 9:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Whilst they are back considering pointless unenforcable laws,  they should maybe make a law against these mobile device zombies obliviously walking, cycling, motorised scooting, ebiking around audio & visually hooked into the Samsung Galaxy and putting themselves and others at risk in the real world.

Saw one of these cretins get wiped out by a kid on a rental bike at ECP on sunday when I was out with the kids. They jogged right out onto the cycle track - even if the kid was only doing 5kmph he would still have hit her

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 1st Apr 2016 8:14 AM    Quote and Reply

I truly think that people should see the speed limit as a guideline that reminds you to slow down when cycling on footpaths but you can go faster on PCN.

The purpose of the guidelines is to ask people to ride responsibly to avoid accidents instead of going against common sense of safety to insist on their rights.

I totally agree the speed limits is unenforceable because there is never proof how fast people are travelling in most accident reports. Let us not take the numbers literally and focus more on the real purpose of safety in mind. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Apr 2016 10:31 AM    Quote and Reply

I think speed limit is good for part of PCN where there are many cyclist around such as near the east coast beach or hawker centre area. I see cyclist speeding past at those area where many pp walk around, very dangerous indeed. But, at further north, coastal road area where there is a long stretch and not many cyclist, is ok I think to speed a little. In fact, is more dangerous to cycle left and right and swinging around or suddenly making a U turn then speeding at those area. I dun see pp getting into accident by cyclist fast there, but usually from pp swinging around and not keeping to the left that caused accident. tks

Regular Forumer
245 posts
Forum Rep: 16

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Apr 2016 11:14 AM    Quote and Reply

There seems to be quite a lot of these cat 6 racer ne'er do wells (as Fred Hubbard calls them) knocking around East Coast Park these days. All dolled up in the latest OCBC, Team Sky, Etixx QuickStep or Saxo / Tinkoff spandex on $3K plus road bikes or flat bar roadie hybrids.
I really don't understand why they don't use the service road if they want to go at 25kmph+ instead of getting upset at little kids with training wheels holding them up on a Sunday afternoon. 
I was away for the last 18 months but the last few weeks I've taken the kids and their friends for a Sunday morning ride out for lunch down there, there seems to be a lot more than 2014.

I still don't think making a new speeding law is going to do anything, there are already laws against recklessness that they don't enforce and laws for none motorised vehicles which are unenforced and ignored; I've see numerous ebikes and escooters being ridden along that track at speed each time i've been and no one seems to care.

It could just be me though I got completely used to having the trail, track or road generally to myself riding around in Sarawak, Brunei and Sabah - bit of an unpleasant system shock coming back to the crowded little red dot.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Posted on: 4th Apr 2016 1:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: There seems to be quite a lot of these cat 6 racer ne'er do wells (as Fred Hubbard calls them) knocking around East Coast Park these days. All dolled up in the latest OCBC, Team Sky, Etixx QuickStep or Saxo / Tinkoff spandex on $3K plus road bikes or flat bar roadie hybrids.
I really don't understand why they don't use the service road if they want to go at 25kmph+ instead of getting upset at little kids with training wheels holding them up on a Sunday afternoon. 
I was away for the last 18 months but the last few weeks I've taken the kids and their friends for a Sunday morning ride out for lunch down there, there seems to be a lot more than 2014.

I still don't think making a new speeding law is going to do anything, there are already laws against recklessness that they don't enforce and laws for none motorised vehicles which are unenforced and ignored; I've see numerous ebikes and escooters being ridden along that track at speed each time i've been and no one seems to care.

It could just be me though I got completely used to having the trail, track or road generally to myself riding around in Sarawak, Brunei and Sabah - bit of an unpleasant system shock coming back to the crowded little red dot."

Totally agree with your observations.
Lots of cyclists in the 'pro' outfits and riding around ECP like they're on training for a World Tour event, some even riding fast and in formation.

We really need some strict enforcement, before some innocent kids get injured along our parks.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Apr 2016 10:49 PM    Quote and Reply

simple...wanna act pro, but no guts to ride on main road. 

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Apr 2016 1:09 PM    Quote and Reply

>no guts to ride on main road

Guts? Getting smashed to death by a motor vehicle doesn't sound brave.

Not foolhardy enough to ride on main road you mean.

(I ride on the road but I know it is dangerous, some drivers deliberately try and run me over, some drivers deliberately dont give way and many drivers dont have a clue or are looking at their phones)

Regular Forumer
67 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 5th Apr 2016 2:47 PM    Quote and Reply

East coast park service road is fine, we used to do an interval type of thing along there, hammer up the road at about 85% max heart rate, warm down along the cycle track - repeat several times then collapse at the hawker centre

BTW I have no problem with people going fast along the track at 5AM or late evenings when it is deserted - like we used to. Just when the place is packed at weekends or PH's - a speed limit is unnescessary I think, get some wardens out at these periods.

I found it a pretty unnerving expeerience coming back and cycling on normal busy roads here though after 18months in Brunei where it was generally an absolute pleasure to cycle on the roads. (about the only pleasure in Kuala Belait unfortunately)

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts

Login to see your Forum Rankings