Topic: Government may impose speed limits for cyclists on Park Connectors

Posted on: 29th Jan 2016 10:13 PM    Quote and Reply

This is an open discussion thread for the news Government may impose speed limits for cyclists on Park Connectors

Singapore - The authorities are looking on whether to impose speed limits for cyclists on park connectors, said in the statement of Senior Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo on Friday (Jan 29).

'#TOGO1050 Admin'
94 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 30th Jan 2016 11:12 AM    Quote and Reply

Actually yes they should for the safety for both parties (runner/cyclist)
So fast cyclist pls be mindful of your action on PCN, if can take the road since is more easier for speed

Go Ride ur life Out
Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Jan 2016 11:10 PM    Quote and Reply

PCN speed use to be 25km than 15km...soon will see 5km, like this get a bicycle n walk the bicycle...

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Feb 2016 9:51 AM    Quote and Reply

As much as cyclists need to be careful when cycling on PCNs, pedestrians also need to be careful when crossing PCNs, i.e. looking both ways before crossing and not walking on PCNs if there are walking paths available.

Regular Forumer
706 posts
Forum Rep: 13

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Feb 2016 12:50 PM    Quote and Reply

So long got people & got bikes = accidents may still occurs. Only can minimized the accident frequency and not 100% prevent from happen. Provided both parties to be considerate of each other's safety & some respect of their own destinated paths. in many cases observed, seem that both parties frequently bochap attitude and await for more accidents to occur. Ride Safe & Walk/Run Safe Folks! 

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Feb 2016 12:53 PM    Quote and Reply

if the G needs to step in to control us(cyclists/walkers), then something must be wrong already. Probably our mindset, ego, etc may causing it..... unnecessary negatively articles/news/feedbacks onto cyclists. look like everytime we all kena a bad image.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Feb 2016 8:44 PM    Quote and Reply

Better to educate than imposing more rules.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Feb 2016 11:56 AM    Quote and Reply

Does the Ministers actually cycle or walk the PCN to understand the problem (without their security first clearing PCN and staging a feel good look good image of PCN)? 
Let's face it the PCN, esp those near neighbourhood area, can be quite a circus... couples holding hands or a family of 4 walking side by side taking up the whole of lane, or people walking with their head down looking at their phones being oblivious to the environment, or kids scooting in zig zag manners (I have seen kids playing ball games on PCN). I have also seen many clowns doing weird things on PCN that would danger many other users, not only cyclist. 
Let's take example of the area under the care of Ms, Josephine's constituency, the Kallang PCN leading to Bishan Park have designated jogging lane and cycling lane, but the joggers like to hog the cycling lane and leaving the jogging lane mostly empty... maybe she can look into this before proposing more rules that does not actually solve the problem.
Of cos cyclists are not all angels, I believe more effort should be taken before just imposing any new ruling. Soon, cyclist will be banned from PCN. The 300km PCN and the new AMK walking and cycling town project may well be nothing but a joke.

Tyrell FX
Freshie Forumer
6 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Feb 2016 12:38 PM    Quote and Reply

I've always seen the PCNs as footpaths that we are allowed to cycle on. If I want to cycle much above fast jogging pace I use the road. There are exceptions, I do hoof it along coastal in the evenings when there are no walkers and kids about just the odd serious runner.
that being said making up a new impractical and unenforceable rule after an incident strikes me as being nothing more than window dressing to give the appearance that something is being done to assuage public opinion rather than any real commitment to anything other than the current status quo . 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 27th Mar 2016 4:43 AM    Quote and Reply

Either it was lip service, or they never cycled before. 'Speeding' is not the real danger.
Example: Twice I were hit by others cycling in a zig-zag manner along the PCN. Never hit by anyone speeding along the PCN. Cycling in a zig-zag manner much more dangerous than speeding to me.

Regular Forumer
6,192 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Mar 2016 8:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Indeed it's better to educate than to impose rules and regulations. However, it's better to be safe than sorry. We should have such rules to protect the interest of pedestrian. When there is an accident, the cyclist can be charged and not scot-free... So thumbs up! 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings