Topic: Government may impose speed limits for cyclists on Park Connectors

Posted on: 6th Apr 2016 12:36 PM    Quote and Reply

Everytime, I really mean everytime, when I cycle on PCN, there are always a number of padestrains and joggers on the cycling pavement BUT not on the designated walking/jogging pavement provided as well.

So, when accidents occur, the topic is on the cyclist speed, discipline as if they are always the fault party just because they hit the "VICTIM" pedestrains. 

Does the Government look into this scenario and best is to fine S$50 for misuse of the cycling and pedestrain pavement usage for each purpose.

Only by imposing fine then public would be aware and I am pretty sure this will definitely reduce accident rate sigfnificantly effectively.  However, speed limit for cyclists on PCN shoud have a limit, recommend 25kmph.

Just my six cents.

Regular Forumer
24 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Apr 2016 12:50 PM    Quote and Reply

All have duties for their own safety in the PCS as well as other's !    It boils down to discripline and respecting/mindful of other users that are sharing the same path. 

I cycle in PCN and seen many parent walking infront of their 5-6 years children leaving them behind to zig -zag thier bicycle, roller blakes, etc,... you can tell that these children have just started to learn their "new skill" , even when the parent see a fast approaching cycling coming , some still FAILED to warn/control their children.    Accident waiting to happen.

I had 2 accidents in PCN, 1st one was by a lady who do U turn without checking - crashing into my rear side causing me to crash land, she is ok and stopped to help but I am bloody.   2nd one was some stupid MTB who decides not to stop for a lady crossing the PCS like all otheres did, his big handebar side swipped and injuried my right hand and teared of my ear peice cable - he did not even stopped to apologise (parent never teach his manner !)

The other part of the main problem for PCN is - they are not wide enough.   While some stretch have both "designated" walking path and cycling individually, others are co-shared, and these paths are getting more and more crowded now, with commuters going in both directions.  

My general thumb of basic rules -who ever that read this : (1)Pls keep to the left side of your lane whenever you are cycling , (2) we have no choice but to "slow down" when we hit crowded path - u never know if any one stupid may just suddenly appear.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 30th Apr 2016 11:11 AM    Quote and Reply

them zombies fiddling their cells with head bowed, ears plugged and snaking the path are my all time faves.
dang..nearly forgot those lovey doveys who die die must walk side by side

Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Posted on: 4th May 2016 2:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Yeah . !!   especially those that walk along the skate and cycling path side by side while just next to them are the "walk path" - empty / less crowded.

You know what I mean when you go the punggol end , near Corney island.   It is very crowded there with the diners and the bicycle shop there.

I ever heard a boy friend asking his girl friend : "Is this a walking path or cycling path" and you can see the next lane is almost empty(walking path)

They need to paint super big word "Skate & Cycling" and "Walking path" , or else it is another accident waiting to happen. 

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 16th May 2016 2:15 PM    Quote and Reply

Question is. Are Pedestrians suppose to walk on the PCN or cycling path when there is a separate foot path just beside?
Because many times I see this happening.
But of course I know some of these are also shared paths.

Regular Forumer
41 posts

Riding:
Posted on: 16th May 2016 2:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ryancy: Question is. Are Pedestrians suppose to walk on the PCN or cycling path when there is a separate foot path just beside?

"

perhaps the black tarmac path(cycling path) seem to attract the walkers to walk onto it rather than the walkers path. As the tarmac surface seems smoother & faster to walk than the walkers path, sometimes clobber surfaces/etc. Also happens everyday to my area's PCN.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 16th May 2016 4:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by ryancy: Question is. Are Pedestrians suppose to walk on the PCN or cycling path when there is a separate foot path just beside?

"

Well I think by right, the pedestrians should keep to the walking path rather than the cycling/shared path. However, I believe this is intentionally not strongly-enforced. Maybe the authorities don't want to appear too draconian. Who knows...
I personally feel it is quite a waste that everyone squeezes on the shared path whilst the walking path becomes a white elephant.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings