Topic: 5 Reasons why Singapore is not a cycling nation yet -Agree????

Posted on: 18th Dec 2015 8:44 AM    Quote and Reply

This is an open discussion thread for the news 5 Reasons why Singapore is not a cycling nation yet -Agree????

Singapore - National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said that cycling should not be just a recreational pursuit, but must also be considered as a viable transport option for short trip around Singapore. Though he noted that the cycling was just 1 to 2 percent of transport mode.

'#TOGO1050 Admin'
94 posts
Forum Rep: 4

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 18th Dec 2015 3:36 PM    Quote and Reply

Main problem is, how to park our expensive bikes in public without worrying if your bike parts or even the whole bike is still at the rack? Problem with bike theft in Singapore is quite a problem.

Sometimes I wish I can cycle my bike to town area, park somewhere and go have some nice meal or shopping and then cycle back home. There will be no peace.

Regular Forumer
29 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 19th Dec 2015 1:11 AM    Quote and Reply

wait when everyone is no more cibai kia

Regular Forumer
138 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Dec 2015 9:39 AM    Quote and Reply

what i would love to see is cycling lanes on roads accross whole singapore!

Regular Forumer
35 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Dec 2015 5:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Umm..... probably still a long decade way to transform into a cycling nation. mindset gonna transform 1st. Current situation is more of lifestyle & fashion cycling, plus market/utility way of bike use for the time being.....

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Dec 2015 8:07 AM    Quote and Reply

Singapore still has a long way to go. Road users asking us to stay off the road; pedestrians asking us to stay off the pathway; noob PCN users that doesn't know how to keep left, etc.
Being a country with limited land space, local government wouldn't want to have dedicated bike path for us, not when those path ain't generating income.
Maybe they might implement ERP and require us to have IU install on our bikes, then they will consider building dedicated paths

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 22nd Dec 2015 9:09 AM    Quote and Reply

We have space for 6 and 8 lane highways and multi story carparks all over the place, we'll even spend billions on tunnels so folks can cruise around in their personal 5 sqm steel box a few minutes quicker but no space for any bike infrastructure?

i would think that the Space argument should work in the bicycles favour not against it

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 23rd Dec 2015 4:16 PM    Quote and Reply

http://www.togoparts.com/articles/news.php?artid=3872

Sentosa now has dedicated cycling lane on the roads. Now that's a start.

Regular Forumer
111 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Forum Moderator
Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 24th Dec 2015 12:05 AM    Quote and Reply

Just because it is not generating income is a dangerous way to do things as an excuse NOT to create a better environment for the general population.
the government has to know if they actually create dedicated bike lanes and changed the LAW for cars/bikes that would encourage more people to use the bike as a form of transportation (like amsterdam) instead of thinking it is a toy. Think of all the time and money saved during rush hour grid locks when everyone is trying to get to and from work on a daily basis. And also think of the general populations overall health when everyone starts moving and getting at least even a light workout going to work or the local stores, what that can do for the overall health system in general! it sounds soo much better than spending hours sitting in a metal box trying to get somewhere.

I've seen from relatives living in singapore and how they can change laws and infrastructure quickly so there isn't really alot of roadblocks in the way if the government actually starts implementing changes from the ground up.

Even in my city before bikes were not that heavily used but the city center started getting really dense in population and rush hour was a nightmare. over the years the city changed laws and added dedicated lanes to make this more bike friendly and it helped alot to speed up the moving traffic for the downtown population. You see streams of bikes going to work in the morning and they don't ever get jammed up like cars. Cars still get jammed up though because it is ever increasing but for others that actually want to get somewhere quickly in the downtown core would actually bike to get somewhere ;).

Regular Forumer
26 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Canada
Riding:
Posted on: 24th Dec 2015 11:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Azreal911: Just because it is not generating income is a dangerous way to do things as an excuse NOT to create a better environment for the general population.
the government has to know if they actually create dedicated bike lanes and changed the LAW for cars/bikes that would encourage more people to use the bike as a form of transportation (like amsterdam) instead of thinking it is a toy. Think of all the time and money saved during rush hour grid locks when everyone is trying to get to and from work on a daily basis. And also think of the general populations overall health when everyone starts moving and getting at least even a light workout going to work or the local stores, what that can do for the overall health system in general! it sounds soo much better than spending hours sitting in a metal box trying to get somewhere.

I've seen from relatives living in singapore and how they can change laws and infrastructure quickly so there isn't really alot of roadblocks in the way if the government actually starts implementing changes from the ground up.

Even in my city before bikes were not that heavily used but the city center started getting really dense in population and rush hour was a nightmare. over the years the city changed laws and added dedicated lanes to make this more bike friendly and it helped alot to speed up the moving traffic for the downtown population. You see streams of bikes going to work in the morning and they don't ever get jammed up like cars. Cars still get jammed up though because it is ever increasing but for others that actually want to get somewhere quickly in the downtown core would actually bike to get somewhere ;)."

Totally Agree From my view right bike is a good form of transport in singapore! so far reiding road bike on the Road i haven encounter any "bad" drivers only good ones and even buses are kind enough to give space to you Just dont rekt the road like as if is your Granfather road. For example I stay in Bukit Batok and for me to reach Jurong Point/West Coast/YewTee only casue me 30 min on average of 20km/h reaching sentosa is 1h and this help me keep health and i save quite alot of Transport fee cycling to school. Wat the goverment is trying to do is to reduce car on road by having COE but why cant they have bike lane for people to cycle to road as this also help reduce car usage

Go Ride ur life Out
Regular Forumer
44 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 26th Dec 2015 2:27 AM    Quote and Reply

Isn't the garhem want less car on road? Give 1 lane to bicycle in town and people will start cycling or take public transport cause you jam if you drive. Haha. 

But I think the main reason people dont like to cycle for commuting daily is the weather. At day, it's either super hot or raining. 

Still, the mindset of the people and garhem play the main role. It's a long way to change those "i pay coe, road tax, erp, road is for cars, want cycle go ecp" people and those ministers who not even take cycling as a hobby or cycle daily.

Regular Forumer
43 posts
Forum Rep: 3

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings