Topic: Any MTB Recommendation For a Newbie

Posted on: 24th Jan 2018 9:36 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi All im dyon, just pick up cycling hobby recently ( was using ofo and such ) so now im thinking of getting a decent mtb.

would like to hear from our expert cyclists out there on mtb brands/components that is best bang for my buck.

as there are too many options out there on mtb  -_-''. some have this some have that...etc.

would like to head to pulau ubin in e near future with some kakis too =DD

pls advise. thanks a bunch 
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 24th Jan 2018 11:15 PM    Quote and Reply

For a newbie, I'd recommend an aluminium hardtail. Full suspension bikes are another universe totally, and will require another hour of explanation to go through all variations.

If you intend to do trails, you want components that work well and are durable. Opt for Shimano Deore at a minimum. SLX is even better if your budget allows.

Bikes that cost a few hundred dollars are certainly available. However these are usually spec with inferior components and are quite heavy, which will affect your experience greatly, and to some extent, safety as well.

You will not go wrong with any major manufacturer like Cannondale, Trek, Specialzed, Giant, Merida, Polygon, etc. 

Keep it simple.

Regular Forumer
81 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Jan 2018 1:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Decathlon, Polygon or Merida would be the most value for money brand and thus quite a few despise these 3 brands. Not ata enough. What's left would be your budget. Also, the crankset element of a groupset is the most expensive unless its is road bike shifters. So you will find quite often you are the derailleurs are Shimano/Sram this and that but the crankset is FSA or something cheaper. Air fork vs Spring, some say Spring better because it handles smaller bumps better than air though air can adjust for rider weight better.

You sure you want to do MTB? A lot of mud/grime and stuff like that. Maybe you should rent one and go Ubin or Mandai and see if you like the cleaning up part or not.

Freshie Forumer
5 posts

Posted on: 25th Jan 2018 8:31 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Guys,

thanks for the info.. am looking up on merida as its cheaper then other brands by abit and its pretty 

sweet with the parts ulysses_sc mentioned. so many models..lol...going thru 1 by 1.

Bike2focus yes i wan mtb and ready get down right filthy...haha.. as for the cleaning part maybe i'll get a water hose and spray it i guess? lol..

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Posted on: 26th Jan 2018 3:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Not sure still case these days years back the rental MTB @ Ubin was the humble Raleigh M20 lol That said i would really suggest a hydraulic disc brake equipped MTB as you dun want anything else faces with wet/muddy conditions on trails. Higher end Mech discs are fine too except less manufacturers are making decent ones for off road use these days so...Oh ya do u happen to stay near a Decathaon Store? Can test ride their Rockrider series of MTB to get a 1st hand feel haha 

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 29th Jan 2018 2:40 PM    Quote and Reply

tried decathlon mtbs..lol still prefer merida tho.. lol and got myself a big nine xD

anyway.. off topic alittle.. lol road bike can tahan how heavy? looks so thin n fine

got a collegue of mine wanna get tat but he weights about 100kg.. i guess better go mtb? lol

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Posted on: 31st Jan 2018 12:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Polygon has got the best bang for your money. Head down to Rodalink and check out the range they have. 

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Feb 2018 1:45 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Dyon: tried decathlon mtbs..lol still prefer merida tho.. lol and got myself a big nine xD

anyway.. off topic alittle.. lol road bike can tahan how heavy? looks so thin n fine

got a collegue of mine wanna get tat but he weights about 100kg.. i guess better go mtb? lol"

Well caucasians are taller and bigger and weigh heavier and i suppose one can pump up road tire pressure higher to account for more weight?

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Posted on: 4th Feb 2018 10:29 PM    Quote and Reply

can take it, the max is like 150 to 160kg.. i once saw a caucasian cyclist who is so huge that the road bike (focus) looks like a BMX on him.

I am not so sure about carbon road bike though, although with newer technology they seem able to take 100kg ++

If he is still not convince, can source for those steel frame road bikes 

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings