Topic: New to bicycles

Posted on: 24th Sep 2017 12:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi everyone. I am new to cycling. Just gotten into cycling a few months back. started off with rented bike sharing and I really got to like it. Therefore, browse around and gotten myself a second hand Meridas Crossway. 

I would like to know if there are any cycling groups around in the north, (yishun) where I can join in some of the group rides. I would also like to know more about doing self maintenance on my bicycle as I find it enjoyable. (but I know nuts as of now!) can seek the expertise of all here :)

Really hope to learn more from you all. :)

Just rode home the bike and unfortunately, got a rear tyre flat.... lol.. 

Freshie Forumer
7 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 12:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Welcome to the world of cycling ^^ Well the 1st thing to pick up for me would be how to replace tubes and tires? These days there are good youtube videos showing how to do this and one could pick up from there i guess. Also if you are out night cycling do dress visibly and have front/rear lights installed ^^ Lube your chain maybe every 150-200 kms? 

Regular Forumer
182 posts
Forum Rep: 32

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 7:53 AM    Quote and Reply

hi. thanks for the advice. I went youtube and watched a few videos but still not confident enough as of now. will definitely take some time to hands on this weekend. 

Went for a cycling yesterday and a few questions popped up:
1)where can I get a fairly decent chain lube, degreaser and anti seize oil, but not too ex? 
2)how do I know if my bike requires servicing already since it is preowned?
3)for v brakes, brake pads are replaced when worn out, how about for mechanical disc brake, and how do I check?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 9:43 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi, hope you have been enjoying cycling so far. I'm new too and had been having fun in every ride :)

1. Chain Lube: cheapest i think Daiso $2. Not sure about the quality. Slightly decent option would be online or from bike shop. Look for Muc-off or Finish Line brand.

Degreaser: I know some of my friend use WD-40. Some even just use concentrated Dish washing liquid. Youtube would give you some pretty good advise on this.

2. Since its preowned, I would have serviced it and check everything before my first ride. Just to be safe. Otherwise, every 700-1000KM i think is quite good to do your own servicing. Depends on where you ride and if you clean it after every ride.

3. Not really sure about disc brake, but i think there is something resembling a brake pad inside. Pull the brake and see which part is moving. Might need to research more on how to maintain and check this part. 

Hope this helps. Cheers

Regular Forumer
13 posts
Forum Rep: 5

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2017 10:14 PM    Quote and Reply

welcome to the peddle world, 

1) there are also 2 types of lube, wet and dry. wet lube lasts longer but attracts muck more. dry lube requires more application but attracts less muck. despends on weather and terrain on which is suitable for u

for WD-40, its recommended to use the one which is specifically for bikes (the green label ones)

Its good to send a pre-own bike for servicing  1st to be safe. Espically if u are not verse in bikes

as long as it is able to brake properly and not create a squealing sound,  no need to change

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 28th Sep 2017 8:04 AM    Quote and Reply

Thanks for all the advice! 

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Sep 2017 5:16 PM    Quote and Reply

I learn pre and post bike checks from "love cycing sg" and national park board talks.

Pre-ride ABC

And Post Ride

QRST

A - Air - pump 
B - Brake - check brake pad and cables
C - Chain - any issue

QR - Quick release - all tight enough
S - Sound, any unusal sound when cycling?
T - Tire, any wear and tear, or foreign object that may cause a punture on it.

Learn to change tube from your local bike shop. Pay for it to be done and observe how they do it.

Regular Forumer
21 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Sep 2017 6:41 PM    Quote and Reply

Oh also regarding disc brakes : generally they perform far better in wet conditions so if you are like me i.e aggresive biker w.r.t weather *and* terrain it would be good to give the bike a wash and also wipe the rotor disc with some alcohol! This is to be done if you ride in wet/muddy conditions from time to time as impurities might compromise the rotor surface and result in slightly less braking power ^^ Once you get more experience hands on you would be getting into slightly more "advanced" stuff like puncture protection, drivetrain gear inch combos, etc 

Regular Forumer
182 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 28th Sep 2017 11:42 PM    Quote and Reply

thanks for all information! however, i am not sure where zi can buy those stuff you all mentioned.
any recommended brand?

like the alcohol.
chain lube
degreaser

etc.

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2017 6:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Isopropyl alcohol can hunt in most pharmacies and even value shops if they are available the rest can try out which ones you like? I've also tried alcohol wipes and even though the % alcohol content is questionable i find it works ok as well haha

Regular Forumer
182 posts

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings