Topic: Ride from Bishan to Little India

Posted on: 14th Mar 2017 1:02 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi all! 

Just upgraded from my foldie to road bike. Does anyone know how safe it is to go along Thomson Road leading down to the city to Newton? Am thinking of cycling daily to work there. I'll be commuting from Bishan to Little India. 

Thanks in advance!
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Mar 2017 11:44 AM    Quote and Reply

I think generally from Bishan up to Marymount Road (near Mount Alvernia hospital) is pretty OK.

The road is a bit windy and narrow at the stretch between Mount Alvernia Hospital and Balestier Road, where (ironically) the vehicles tend to go quite fast. To me, that is the danger stretch.

The pavement doesn't offer much respite too, as it's not particular smooth nor wide.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Mar 2017 11:57 AM    Quote and Reply

Cheers, thanks Kevin! 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Mar 2017 9:19 AM    Quote and Reply

the route from bishan to little india and to newton is different 

Regular Forumer
68 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 17th Mar 2017 10:18 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi, you can look at an alternative route through Toa Payoh Lorong 1. Along Braddell road up to the Bishan road junction there are lots of access into Toa Payoh through the flatted factories in Toa Payoh north, near SPH. Then you follow Lorong 1 and go under the HDB blocks after CHIJ towards block 173 and there is an access to Thomson road under the flyover. Then you can continue on to Novena from there. I think there's much less traffic through Toa Payoh Lorong 1 compared to the Thomson road stretch near Marymount and the Polo club and the pavements are also wider. 
You can also cycle on pavement from Toa Payoh flyover to Novena, it's not very wide, there are not very many pedestrians I think (depends on the time of course) until you reach Novena.... 
and continue on pavement to Keng Lee road and then cut tthrough Farrer Park to get to Little India.

Regular Forumer
11 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Mar 2017 10:35 AM    Quote and Reply

for me . i would take the toa payoh pcn - jln toa payoh - bendemeer - jln besar
 if tekka side , i would turn at kitchener

Regular Forumer
68 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings