Topic: A mountain bike setup for a newbie like me?

Posted on: 27th Jan 2017 11:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi everyone my name is Gustavo Woltmanna and I am an assistant in a small and private publishers office for over a decade already. Recently, me and my friend at the office are getting hooked in to mountain biking but the problem is I dont have a bike yet for my own. I am planning to build one next month and I would like to ask for an expert's advise on what type of mountain bike should I build. Anyone here who can help me with the setup?
Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Jan 2017 9:41 AM    Quote and Reply

Generally speaking, you will be best served with the following:

Frame type
Aluminium hardtail. Hardtails are best to start learning fundamentals on, and significantly lighter and cheaper than full suspension. Full suspension bikes require more maintenance, and usually come with lower spec parts when compared to a hardtail of similar price. Besides, you can drop an alloy bike whole day long without feeling the "pinch".

Wheel size
Go with 27.5. 26-ers are becoming obsolete, while 29-ers may be a bit big for some. With all the current rage with 27.5, options are plentiful.

Brakes
Definitely hydraulic disk brakes. I personally like Shimano XT brakes. However there is absolutely nothing wrong with Shimano Deore or SLX brakes if on a budget

Components
If you want to do mountain biking on a regular basis, go with better components. Shimano SLX groupset is great and won't break the bank. However Shimano Deore is also quite good if on a budget.

Drive train
Go with 2x10. It's the most flexible, providing a wide spread of gears. 1x11 is great, but you usually end up with a couple of gears short at the low or top end. 1x12 Eagle... that cost more than many bikes.... 3x9 is getting old, and you may have problems getting parts for it in the future.

You really don't need any bling carbon stuff to build a capable mountain bike. I have an old Scott Scale with 26 inch wheels and XT components. Love it. The carbon full suspension only comes out during races.

Enjoy the build!

Regular Forumer
81 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Posted on: 8th Feb 2017 6:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi gustavo woltmanna,

Have you built your bike yet? What is your budget that you going to spend on building it?

Nowadays, there lot of reasonable price bikes with pretty good components fixed up..perhaps you can go on google on those bikes.

My own experience had taught me to google more on it before starting on the next bike building project..as the $$$ that i spent on my first build up bikes, can get me a relatively decent good price bike with the latest technologies upgraded components.

Once built it, very hard to get rid of it...cause it was your own custom built bike..a lot of efforts and pains put into it..even the parts are outdated..still wanted to keep it but no longer using it, after getting another new better bike..

Regular Forumer
23 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Feb 2017 4:06 PM    Quote and Reply

I've owned components/bikes ranging from Tourney, Acera and XT classes and all i can say is the components are absolutely crucial in terms of durability especially for a MTBiker where you wouldn't to be limited by terrain and/or weather conditions! Most would recommend a minimum standard of Deore components for regular offroad riding and i would say this would be wise though Acera does ok but eventually the cassete would show signs of rust in wet/muddy conditions - i learned the hard way hehe Anyway here is the hierachy for Shimano components for a MTB

Quote:
"
Mountain Bike Components:
XTR
Saint
DXR
XT
SLX
Hone
Deore
Alivio
Acera
Altus
Tourney
"

Regular Forumer
181 posts
Forum Rep: 31

Singapore
Posted on: 10th Feb 2017 4:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Missed the Deore LX mtb components after 2005, transit/migrate into the trekking components series. supersed by the SLX series.

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 10th Feb 2017 4:48 PM    Quote and Reply

Previously, I was one of the suppliers having business deals with Shimano here in Singapore Benoi Road Factory.

I supplied the stamping component and some other components to them, and as such I knew quite a few of their engineers and management staffs. They quoted to me that their parts all are of good QC passed quality, through stringent check and can last long.

Overall, all their parts are relatively good product..just that, different material used had different tolerances and limitation.

With the price range of the bike purchased, and if the bike and components can last for more than 5 years period with constant cycling... I think most of the parts are fairly price..for example a S$200+ bike with shimano low end component used up to 5 years and above..dividing the fraction 1 year cost only S$50.00, cheaper than renting a bike for 1 whole year and saving up for a slimming session.

Just my 2 cents thought..

Regular Forumer
23 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Feb 2017 8:56 AM    Quote and Reply

For the first bike, just go with the bike closest to your budget and make sure it fits you. It's recommended you get one from a well known manufacturer. 

You won't really know what type of riding or whichbike you'll ultimately want until you have 1 foot deep into mtbing. 

Owning the first bike will help you understand basic geometry choices and gives you a baseline "feel".

Buying your first bike will also give you a feel of the quality to price ratio of the bike/parts you are getting. 

So basically you will learn regardless of which first bike you choose. 

Lor Sor Forumer
3,814 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Jan 2018 2:31 PM    Quote and Reply

ok wonderful infomatin. it is helpful for newbie like me.

Regular Forumer
18 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Login to see your Forum Rankings