Topic: Newbie looking for floding bike

Posted on: 30th Oct 2016 11:01 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi All,

I'm new here looking for floding bike, currently i'm aiming Crius Master V and Java Fit 16S, both are about same price.
Pls advise.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Oct 2016 8:23 AM    Quote and Reply

Since both about same price, I'll go for Crius since it comes with slightly better components. Did you consider Trevelo FS-S? Think the price range about the same, and even better components.

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Oct 2016 11:15 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SgtJoe86: Since both about same price, I'll go for Crius since it comes with slightly better components. Did you consider Trevelo FS-S? Think the price range about the same, and even better components."
Thanks for your advised, the good part for Java is only front and back come with disc break. I will try to search for Trevelo FS-S to compare.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Oct 2016 11:40 AM    Quote and Reply

Disc brakes are more practical for MTB as it minimise exposure to dirt and grim during trail runs. Not exactly useful for road bikes and foldies due to weight penalty.

Regular Forumer
178 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Oct 2016 11:08 PM    Quote and Reply

escpially foldies as it sometimes damages the rotors when folded. 

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 1st Nov 2016 8:43 PM    Quote and Reply

How about Tern D8? Any comment? 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Nov 2016 10:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Tern Link D8 is quite a basic model. Frame is heavier than the other brands, and the RD is Neos 1.0, which is a really sad thing. The Shimano Claris on the previous Link D16 was pretty good, guess they decided to cut cost, which is sad.
I would still recommend Trevelo for the components that comes with the bike. Trying to buy those components individually to mod a Tern or Dahon would have cost so much more.

Regular Forumer
178 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Nov 2016 12:08 AM    Quote and Reply

Please don't get a JAVA if you haven't been reading the topics around this forum. The rear wheel is very prone to have the spokes snapping due to bad frame design at the back. There's a handful of negative feedbacks regarding this and a lot of people selling their JAVA on here and Carousell. 

The JAVA TT and JAVA Fit 16 both have frames that doesn't come with a "chain stay". I've owned both bikes before. Please don't ever get JAVA. I'm not the only person with this issue. 

I'm getting a Travelo FS-S soon but they no stock due to the promotion that they have. I let my daughter ride my P9 as the NEOS derailleur is rubbish. I think only Travelo is the lightest and most affordable already with Litepro parts on the bike. 

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Nov 2016 12:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"I'm getting a Travelo FS-S soon but they no stock due to the promotion that they have. I let my daughter ride my P9 as the NEOS derailleur is rubbish. I think only Travelo is the lightest and most affordable already with Litepro parts on the bike. "

Actually, the frame for Tern Link P9 is pretty good, plus it comes with Kinetix components. Once you change out the crappy Neos RD to something proper, the bike is worth a second look.

Btw, the P9 comes with aluminium fork, while D8 and D16 comes with the heavier steel fork.

Regular Forumer
178 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Nov 2016 12:53 PM    Quote and Reply

^ the frame is solid for a P9 but my hinge already worn due to constant rubbing while riding. I've tightened it however there's still free play when going over uneven road and when I brake hard.

The inner hinge paint has already worn off to the extent that no form of tension can bring it back to original state. 

Also, I could have invested in a rear derailleur conversion for a Shimano Sora or any 9 speed medium cage but I ditched the idea eventually. Still rideable but not to my satisfaction after a handful of years. 

The only thing I love about my P9 is the handlepost to be honest. Super stiff and no flex. 

Regular Forumer
188 posts
Forum Rep: 30

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings