Topic: Newbie seeking advice on bike purchase!

Posted on: 13th May 2016 5:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi everyone! I used to do mountain biking back in my poly days and am now looking to pick up the hobby again after being out of it for many years.

The reason I'm picking the hobby up again is in the interest of fitness. I plan to start cycling to work and am looking for a bike that I can use for daily commute on the weekdays and bring out to the trails on weekends. Based on what little reading I have done my plan is to get a XC hardtail and swap between slick and trail tires.

So, here is where I need your advice to choose a bike for my needs. 

Height: 164 cm
Weight: 70 kg
Budget: $1000
Distance: Pasir Ris to Yishun for daily commute

I already have helmet, gloves, lights etc. The budget above is purely for the bike. Preferably a bike I can future proof and upgrade down the line.

I would like to install a bike rack to keep a bag of necessities as well (tools, raincoat, spare tube, patch kit, torchlight etc). Also looking to add mudguards. I greatly appreciate any reccomendations and advice! Lobangs for any good bike shops would also be wonderful :P

Freshie Forumer
1 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 13th May 2016 5:02 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Kailath: Hi everyone! I used to do mountain biking back in my poly days and am now looking to pick up the hobby again after being out of it for many years.

The reason I'm picking the hobby up again is in the interest of fitness. I plan to start cycling to work and am looking for a bike that I can use for daily commute on the weekdays and bring out to the trails on weekends. Based on what little reading I have done my plan is to get a XC hardtail and swap between slick and trail tires.

I would like to install a bike rack to keep a bag of necessities as well (tools, raincoat, spare tube, patch kit, torchlight etc). I greatly appreciate any reccomendations and advice! Lobangs for any good bike shops would also be wonderful :P

"

polygon, giant, merida, trek, these a few brands

Regular Forumer
1,342 posts
Forum Rep: 17

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 14th May 2016 9:16 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Kailath: Hi everyone! I used to do mountain biking back in my poly days and am now looking to pick up the hobby again after being out of it for many years.

I already have helmet, gloves, lights etc. The budget above is purely for the bike. Preferably a bike I can future proof and upgrade down the line.

I would like to install a bike rack to keep a bag of necessities as well (tools, raincoat, spare tube, patch kit, torchlight etc). Also looking to add mudguards. I greatly appreciate any reccomendations and advice! Lobangs for any good bike shops would also be wonderful :P

"

Assuming that you stay in Pasir Ris. Would advice you to go to Ubi Avenue 3 Vertex for Giant, Scott, Canondale. Treknology 3 @ East Coast for Trek. Rodalink @ East Coast for Polygon. Might be a little far for you to go to Hup Leong @ Chin Swee Road for Merida if you need to send your bike for servicing etc.

Regular Forumer
41 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings