Topic: newbie looking for bike to put 2 child seat...

Posted on: 30th Mar 2016 12:15 PM    Quote and Reply

hi,

have 2 children currently with weight (4years old)15kg and (1yr 6mths old)10kg, so will have to put 2 child seat, one at front and one at back.
Weekday commuting about 2km
Weekend PCN, city riding.
Am 1.8m tall. Am kind of sport person but currently over-weight at 82kg...hahaha...
Budget will be up $600, prefer to buy 2nd hand bike unless brand new deal is so enticing.

Any suggestion for the type of bike? Mountain bike, hybrid bike, road bike etc...? Because when come to put 2 children, i will have no idea what to look for.

Anyway will drop by Vertex building bike shop later to ask too.

Regular Forumer
14 posts
Forum Rep: 22

Riding:
1) KHS
2) camo
3) Khs
4) Cayo
Posted on: 30th Mar 2016 12:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Best bet for the budget is a neighbourhood bikeshop and get a cheap unbutted steel mountain bike with a baby seat on the back for the 1 year old and a top tube clamp on saddle and foot rests for the 4 year old.

If you want a better option then you can get a better bike a ($600 to $1000 hybrid or MTB will be fine)and a trailer that both kids can go in, it will be more stable, safer and more versatile a double seat trailer is about $300. Keep an eye out on the market place, ebay, ST classifieds you may be able to pick up the trailer cheap.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 30th Mar 2016 3:42 PM    Quote and Reply

But those cheap unbutted steel mountain bike will be very heavy (probably 20kg or more), moreover will have to add the front and back seat plus 2 children, that add-up to about 50kg....hmmm.

Oh...just did a google on "top tube clamp on saddle and foot rests", a very good choice as i never thought of it. But i still need to think it over as i feel unsafe for my baby son to sit at the back without me looking at it. My intial thought will be "below this" for my elder son to sit at back.

And "above this" for my baby son to sit in-front. With this setup, during riding on weekend at PCN, if they feel tired, can just sleep on it. 

As for the "double seat trailer", decathlon have it at $129.90 currently. But is too bulky as singapore pavement is too narrow for it. Moreover, my son likes to talk alot and quite mischievious too.

Just scout around Vertex just now and didn't know got quite a few bike shop, as i thought only have Scott bike shop. After spoken to the people there, for budget of up to $600, i will go for the hybrid bike as it is lighter in weight than mountain bike, and i do like to have some speed too.

By the way, saw the 2016 Giant Talon 4 currently selling at $599, which i find the price quite good as compare to 2nd hand price, not much saving. 

Since am free today, will drop-by Trek at bukit merah after work.

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Riding:
1) KHS
2) camo
3) Khs
4) Cayo
Posted on: 30th Mar 2016 4:16 PM    Quote and Reply

Just came across this thread that is very logical to me. http://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bicycles/877522-child-seats-compatible-trek-ds-8-2-a.html#post15424146
Post #16 state "strap a 35 lb of dogfood onto your seatpost rack, and try walking your bicycle. how stable is it if you have to pick up the front wheel a bit ? many bikes will want to flip over."

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Riding:
1) KHS
2) camo
3) Khs
4) Cayo
Posted on: 30th Mar 2016 4:39 PM    Quote and Reply

I have a lightweight high strength steel road bike. It is lighter than most Aluminium frames I have come across. I also do a lot of touring, when I have had more that 10kg on this frame on the back it flexes horribly, and could be very dangerous.

believe me heavy and stiff is good when it comes to hauling loads - let's face it you are not going anywhere quickly on pavements PCNs on a bike with two kids on or behind it.

your $600 Budget is the limiting factor, but I agree riding a bike with one kid on the top tube and another on the back is not great in terms of stability or if you drop the bike

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 30th Mar 2016 5:26 PM    Quote and Reply

Yup..you are right, won't be going that fast too if carrying with 2 children. Will check it out at those neighbourhood bike shop for the unbutted steel mountain bike and look at their baby/child seat.

But as what you have also highlighted, a double trailer will be more stable and safe too.

Regular Forumer
14 posts

Riding:
1) KHS
2) camo
3) Khs
4) Cayo
Login to see your Forum Rankings