Topic: Hello all, Glad to seek some advise

Posted on: 1st Jul 2015 11:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

Glad to receive some good advise from you all.

I am looking for bicycle that is about less than $500 - $600.

Apart from that, storage maybe a big problem for me. Therefore I am looking into foldie, but my weight is 110kg, which is not advisable for a foldie?

If I have to go for sturdy mtbr, but maybe smooth tyre because my main aim is to cycle at PCN. which one is best recommended?

I went cannasia today, and the lowest budget is $700.
Im just puzzled - Giant, Polygon, merida etc.. I do not know which brand will suit me better.

Hence, i like to hear from you all.
Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jul 2015 12:42 AM    Quote and Reply

i a bit confuse , so are u intrested in a roadie ? foldie or MTB? Yes from what i heard 120kg is the max limit for most foldie 20" bikes. But i have seen buffalos whom most probly weight the same (or even more) riding on pacific carrymes . so its only a rumor on it.

ifrom your budget and weight, and your needs of a foldie , i would recommend either a brompton or a montague. but these are way beyond your budget hence i advise  with getting a second hand ranger or land rover foldie 26 inch MTB. then swap the tires to maxxis detonator .

on the bright side, u can search the togoparts marketplace to look into ythe second hand market

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Jul 2015 9:35 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by musikguide: Hi all,

Glad to receive some good advise from you all.

I am looking for bicycle that is about less than $500 - $600.

Apart from that, storage maybe a big problem for me. Therefore I am looking into foldie, but my weight is 110kg, which is not advisable for a foldie?

If I have to go for sturdy mtbr, but maybe smooth tyre because my main aim is to cycle at PCN. which one is best recommended?

I went cannasia today, and the lowest budget is $700.
Im just puzzled - Giant, Polygon, merida etc.. I do not know which brand will suit me better.

Hence, i like to hear from you all."

I think it's impossible to answer your question about which brand suits you better. They are competitors producing roughly similar products. It's mainly a matter of which brand appeals to you more, in terms of pricing, design, brand name etc.

If you're mainly going to ride on PCN (i.e. reasonably smooth surface), I would suggest a bike with a rigid front fork. Probably not necessary to have a suspension fork. My recommendation is for a hybrid bike, something like a Giant Escape or Merida Speeder. The entry-level models should fall within your budget.
However they are quite large.
If space is an issue, perhaps a mini-velo? It cannot fold, but with 20" wheels it is reasonably compact.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Jul 2015 11:44 AM    Quote and Reply

The problem is his weight and budget, if mini velo, then have to settle for releigh or steel ones , as the 7075 may not take his weight

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Jul 2015 4:13 PM    Quote and Reply

Thanks all for the kind information.
Yeah, i would love to have either one. Its more for leisure cycling.

I will look into Merida and also foldie if I feel more comfortable with it.

Thanks and cheers.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Jul 2015 3:52 PM    Quote and Reply

If you have a rather large belly, then a bicycle that puts you in a more upright position would be preferred :)
I reckon your weight should not be an issue for most rigid frame bikes. For folding bikes I'm not too sure.

Regular Forumer
286 posts
Forum Rep: 34

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 5th Jul 2015 4:36 AM    Quote and Reply

i think you can take 27.5, mtb. it can suuport your weight whe you ride. with your bugdet you can search hardtail model.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Indonesia
Login to see your Forum Rankings