Topic: Fat Burning

Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 8:00 PM    Quote and Reply

Good topic for discussion. However I'm gonna go a bit technical on this one. 

Firstly, to answer the question on how to get rid of fats, we must first understand how the human body burns energy. The human body consist of two types of energy source, carbohydrates and fats. It is scientifically proven by sports scientist by putting people on thread mill and measure the subject breathing, heart rate, urine, etc. and found that a human body burns fats when the heart rate is low and switch to burn carbohydrates when the heart rate is high. 

The above explains why a lot of people does hell lot of strenuous exercise but never burn away the fats. They have been burning carbohydrates all along.

The next question would be how to do enough exercise to burn energy effectively but keeping your heart rate low. It is impossible unless you are a world class athlete. That is why by understanding how the body burns energy we have to "trick" the body to burn fats.

This leads to the "afterburn" effect. So what exactly is the afterburn effect? During strenuous exercise, the body do not burn all the required energy. The real energy burn comes after the exercise and it persist for approximately 32 hrs if I can remember correctly. This is the afterburn effect.

Understanding the afterburn effect, sports scientist have measured people who do strenuous exercise on the thread mill then go to bed after that. They discover during the period they are sleeping, their heart rate is low. Furthermore, with the afterburn effects the body needs energy. As a result, at a low heart rate the body is tricked to burn fats. 

Now comes the interesting part. How to burn fats only on the potbelly? Answer is impossible. The body burns fats evenly. It takes as much from the arms, legs, face and body. The easiest way to spot someone becoming thinner is from the cheekbones. It is the first location most visible when you lose fats.

To make things worse, as men ages, the amount of testerone production decreases. As the hormones ratio shift towards that of a women, our body shape changes to represent more like a women. That explains why fats tend to accumulate on the hip area and start to develop potbelly.

We need to exercise right and control our calories intake in order to burn fats and get rid of the potbelly. Hope the long explanation helps to get things started. Please look for more info on google to develop your own effective training solution. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 8:13 PM    Quote and Reply

So eat less joules than you use, do strenuous exercise raising the heart rate and get plenty of sleep?

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 8:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: So eat less joules than you use, do strenuous exercise raising the heart rate and get plenty of sleep?"

Personally for me, eat less calories than you need, do strenuous exercise to burn more energy and make use of the afterburn effect by sleeping about 30 mins after you exercise to lower your heart rate to trick your body to burn fats. It also prevents snacking after you exercise which goes back to square one. 

Regular Forumer
343 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 26th Apr 2014 3:53 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by edng: ....ditto above..... cut the sugars and carbs"
+1. Sometimes also need to cut protein/fats/water. Monitor and listen to your body."

Do you advocate cutting water intake whilst exercising?"
Only for exceptional cases (listen to your body: be observant).

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Apr 2014 3:56 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Velomobile: Good topic for discussion. However I'm gonna go a bit technical on this one. 

Firstly, to answer the question on how to get rid of fats, we must first understand how the human body burns energy. The human body consist of two types of energy source, carbohydrates and fats. It is scientifically proven by sports scientist by putting people on thread mill and measure the subject breathing, heart rate, urine, etc. and found that a human body burns fats when the heart rate is low and switch to burn carbohydrates when the heart rate is high. 

The above explains why a lot of people does hell lot of strenuous exercise but never burn away the fats. They have been burning carbohydrates all along.

The next question would be how to do enough exercise to burn energy effectively but keeping your heart rate low. It is impossible unless you are a world class athlete. That is why by understanding how the body burns energy we have to "trick" the body to burn fats.

This leads to the "afterburn" effect. So what exactly is the afterburn effect? During strenuous exercise, the body do not burn all the required energy. The real energy burn comes after the exercise and it persist for approximately 32 hrs if I can remember correctly. This is the afterburn effect.

Understanding the afterburn effect, sports scientist have measured people who do strenuous exercise on the thread mill then go to bed after that. They discover during the period they are sleeping, their heart rate is low. Furthermore, with the afterburn effects the body needs energy. As a result, at a low heart rate the body is tricked to burn fats. 

Now comes the interesting part. How to burn fats only on the potbelly? Answer is impossible. The body burns fats evenly. It takes as much from the arms, legs, face and body. The easiest way to spot someone becoming thinner is from the cheekbones. It is the first location most visible when you lose fats.

To make things worse, as men ages, the amount of testerone production decreases. As the hormones ratio shift towards that of a women, our body shape changes to represent more like a women. That explains why fats tend to accumulate on the hip area and start to develop potbelly.

We need to exercise right and control our calories intake in order to burn fats and get rid of the potbelly. Hope the long explanation helps to get things started. Please look for more info on google to develop your own effective training solution. "
+1. Watching may not help.

Regular Forumer
6,187 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 28th May 2014 12:45 PM    Quote and Reply

do your riding or exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. this will elevate your metabolic rate throughout the day. eat wisely. it is working for me. 

Freshie Forumer
9 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 28th May 2014 4:45 PM    Quote and Reply

1. Strength training. More strength = more power = higher intensity during exercise = higher heart rate = higher afterburn (Elevated Post Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)).

2. High intensity intervals. Higher intensity = higher fat burn as above. 

Regular Forumer
149 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 4th Feb 2017 1:19 PM    Quote and Reply

Great tips. I find this much useful. Fats are really a big problem. Fats have never looks good on the body. While surfing on the internet, I found about programme fitness. The programme fitness is a simple way by which a perfect, fat free body can be achieved. Personally, I feel that proper amount of protein intake is necessary to keep the body fit. Also, it is important to stay away from junk and oily food stuffs to maintain a perfect body.

Freshie Forumer
4 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Malaysia
Posted on: 12th Jun 2017 8:38 AM    Quote and Reply

I am like you before i comes back to cycling.
hitting about 120kg plus before the real action comes into play.

i started cycling when i hit 110kg. chosen cycling due to old injury on knee.
gathering with friends at pcn up and down but notice i dun loose any weight but increasing and hit 120kg.
reason is pcn pace is too low, we have to keep the speed at 15-25kmh and worst is normally leisure cycling comes together with a supper of makan after the ride.

started to do more intensive riding than pcn riding and i started to drop slowly on weight..
and also i had read we need 60% or 80% heart rates in order to have the system working to burn fats.

after around of 1 year plus near 2 year i dropped to 87kg.
basically u need intensive riding and interval thrash hold to achieve that.
tummy get smaller but still have.

Cutted on Carb, sugar and supper.

Do what u deem is correct and be responsible on your own actions

Blog on My Cycling Journey including slimming down; https://thecyclingjourney.blogspot.sg

https://www.instagram.com/terencetan1978/?hl=en

Marketplace selling list: http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace/listings.php?range=5&lat=1.2945599446037&lng=103.8383102417&item=new-used&uname=terencetan1978&location=

Build on Fuji SL1.1: http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?fid=29&tid=78278&loc=active&cb=showforum.php%3Ffid%3D29%26page_id%3D1&highlight=

Build on Sworks SL6 Tarmac: http://www.togoparts.com/forum/showthread.php?fid=29&tid=79128&page_id=-1#last
'Togo Admin'
181 posts
Forum Rep: 79

Riding:
Posted on: 20th Sep 2017 2:33 PM    Quote and Reply

Having a healthy diet along with exercises can help in weight loss.

Freshie Forumer
2 posts
Forum Rep: 1

United States
Login to see your Forum Rankings