Topic: Fat Burning

Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 11:36 AM    Quote and Reply

the one and only time I ride a bike was when i join my group of army buddies cycling in Sentosa during my army days. That was almost 40 years ago.

Now I am into body building and althought got some results, the stubborn belly fat is taking away all the attraction. Been wanting to run as a means of cardio and fat burning but due to back injury and suspected artheritis I thought of taking up cycling as a better alternative.

Anyone here got experience of fat burning due to cycling and like to share their experiences?

am eyeing at a TREK 4300 mtb and as I stay around Bukit Panjang, most likely would use the PCN and cycle around the neighbourhood and venture into the reserve once I am more steady.

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 12:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Sorry to break your party. But you won't lose those unwanted fats by riding a MTB along PCN. I seen plenty of Roadies with big bellies on their skinny road bikes as well & boy can these guys ride !

I guess the best way to lose fats through cycling is to do lots of climbing. As a matter of opinion, I say you will have better results using a road bike on the road & ride up those gradients.

Good luck

Regular Forumer
115 posts
Forum Rep: 9

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 12:06 PM    Quote and Reply

Yeah, am not too sure either about losing the potbelly...you can probably do it but it would take a lot of cycling.

I'd be more concerned about your back issues...better make sure that the bike is properly fitted for you in order to not aggravate your back. Comfort is a key issue when it comes to riding.

Regular Forumer
598 posts
Forum Rep: 15

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 2:35 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by bingyan: the one and only time I ride a bike was when i join my group of army buddies cycling in Sentosa during my army days. That was almost 40 years ago.

Now I am into body building and althought got some results, the stubborn belly fat is taking away all the attraction. Been wanting to run as a means of cardio and fat burning but due to back injury and suspected artheritis I thought of taking up cycling as a better alternative.

Anyone here got experience of fat burning due to cycling and like to share their experiences?

am eyeing at a TREK 4300 mtb and as I stay around Bukit Panjang, most likely would use the PCN and cycle around the neighbourhood and venture into the reserve once I am more steady.

"

Ride along the PCN to old Chua Chu Kang Road, hit the hills all the way to Lim Chu Kang end and do couple of HIT fast loops on the flat sections. Sure burn fat. Be sure to fuel up before the ride or else you will burn your muscle from body building. Should be done on a road bike but if you do it on a MTB sheer torture and better results. 

Regular Forumer
1,144 posts
Forum Rep: 24

Riding:
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 2:55 PM    Quote and Reply

lai bro, let me give you some reality. there is only 1 exercise in this world that is cardio and can burn fats! 

SWIMMING~!  

the rest of the sports are wasting time. second best is running. If you do the 5 IPPT station twice every week i assure you will lose weight 5kg a month. that was how i lose weight.

then hor belly fats just do your gym routine la. a lot of specific exercise mah. plank la. those sit up la. those toe toucher la 

iHerb.com, $10 off order! - Discount code: DJV648
Regular Forumer
185 posts
Forum Rep: 48

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 4:07 PM    Quote and Reply

To loose fat make sure you burn more joules of energy in a day than you consume. I've lost weight and kept it down through cycling, I am in a similar position to you - previous biking, skiing and climbing accidents mean high impact stuff like running is out for me too. Amigo is right - stop start PCN riding in which you don't get your heart up and maintain at about 60% to 80% of your max is not going to help burn fats. You also need to watch what you eat - startch and sugar(with the exception of glucose) - can only be processed in the liver and gets broken down to fructose and is then converted directly into fat which is deposited round the belly and organs.

Start slow, get used to riding then get yourself a heart rate monitor and work out some courses which allow you to do laps of several KM without stopping - get yourself a heart rate monitor and possibly pay out a bit of cash for a trainer to put together a suitable excercise program for you. I base my regime on intervals where I hit 85% of Maximum heart rate then drop down to 60% for recovery then back up again - works very well for me. I try and mix it up, will sometimes do 3 or 4 hours on the blue trails at ubin, sometimes, Seletar North link or changi coast road, sometimes the roads around pengarang / kampong sungai rengit on my road bike on weekends. Just has to be somewhere that allows you a reasonable lap distance 2 or 3 km min without traffic lights. Stuff like swimming is good too - I have a bike trainer at home and get on that and watch TV rather than go to the gym - I also use the sufferfest programs (http://www.sufferfest.com) brutal but works very well.

Eating wise try replacing stuff like white rice with wholegrain etc high fiber stuff fills you up but is not converted into fat by the body - you just do bigger shits, cut out drinks with sugar added, more fresh fruit and veg instead of high startch snacks etc costs a bit more and is a little more effort as most of the stuff dished up at MCD and hawker centres is nutritionally dodgy - but if you want to burn fat gotta make some sacrifices.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 5:27 PM    Quote and Reply

....ditto above..... cut the sugars and carbs

Regular Forumer
284 posts
Forum Rep: 8

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 6:44 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by trek790: Yeah, am not too sure either about losing the potbelly...you can probably do it but it would take a lot of cycling.

I'd be more concerned about your back issues...better make sure that the bike is properly fitted for you in order to not aggravate your back. Comfort is a key issue when it comes to riding."
I find a little running/jogging does help relax the back after some cycling.

Regular Forumer
6,179 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 6:49 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by dextral: lai bro, let me give you some reality. there is only 1 exercise in this world that is cardio and can burn fats! 

SWIMMING~!  

the rest of the sports are wasting time. second best is running. If you do the 5 IPPT station twice every week i assure you will lose weight 5kg a month. that was how i lose weight.

then hor belly fats just do your gym routine la. a lot of specific exercise mah. plank la. those sit up la. those toe toucher la "
You may be aware that people do boink with running/cycling. Can dehydrate 3kg within an hour  (near collapse). I ever saw one runner went into the toilet to purge after only more than a Km.

Regular Forumer
6,179 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 6:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by edng: ....ditto above..... cut the sugars and carbs"
+1. Sometimes also need to cut protein/fats/water. Monitor and listen to your body.

Regular Forumer
6,179 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 25th Apr 2014 7:01 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by edng: ....ditto above..... cut the sugars and carbs"
+1. Sometimes also need to cut protein/fats/water. Monitor and listen to your body."

Do you advocate cutting water intake whilst exercising?

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings