Topic: Cycle up via 2nd Link - Why cannot ?

Posted on: 19th Aug 2009 10:25 PM    Quote and Reply

Hi,

I've checked with the ICA and thay said, "cannot cycle to Malaysia via 2nd Link".

Does anyone have similar experience with authority's inflexibility ?

How can we / togoparts / the bicycling community Lobby for a change.

singapore is soooo small,...running out of places to cycle.

Thanks

ong
Freshie Forumer
7 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Aug 2009 12:00 AM    Quote and Reply

lobby for?

and do you have any idea where the 2nd-link leads to in the first place?

it leads to the NSHW for goodness sake!

if you wanna get yourself killed, don't get others involved.

thanks.

Regular Forumer
31 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 20th Aug 2009 12:18 AM    Quote and Reply

yes it's just a big and long highway on the other side - what are you planning to do there? it's much faster to go through woodlands checkpoint, unless you're visting western johor?

and it is rather difficult to reach tuas checkpoint. the whole area's full of industrial vehicles the last time that i've been there. 1am is the best time.

there's a very elusive way (forested on both sides of the road) alongside the factories... but i made a wrong turn and went through PIE/AYE. the officers said that i couldn't go further.

('welcome to singapore' sign in the background)

Regular Forumer
1,579 posts

United States
Posted on: 20th Aug 2009 1:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Lol.

its all highway to the check point too. unless you can cycle at 90km/h, why do you wanna use the tuas cp?

dude, grow up

Senior Forumer
3,662 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Aug 2009 3:13 PM    Quote and Reply

You can still use the 2nd link on 2 wheels... with a motorbike.

Senior Forumer
561 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 20th Aug 2009 3:20 PM    Quote and Reply

Anyway some people have cycled into Singapore via the 2nd link especially bicycle tourers who have no clue about the regulations. Somehow the Malaysian authorities allowed this.

Certain sections of highways are open to cyclists legally in Malaysia. Especially when the highway has taken over the trunk roads which used to serve the community. What made me conclude this was prominant signs stating bicycles to use a certain section the the expressway. Personally, I myself have accidentally ridden my bicycle on the E1 or have been forced to ride on the expressway in Malaysia (whenever I got lost). But it was a breeze to ride especially when there is little or no traffic.

Senior Forumer
561 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 21st Aug 2009 1:19 AM    Quote and Reply

Take bike bag, when reach malaysia custom, everything's done, setup bike, put bike bag in your bag-pack.

Regular Forumer
488 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 2nd Oct 2009 11:30 PM    Quote and Reply

This is my experience of cycling across the 2nd link from Malaysia to Singapore. 

A friend of mine used to live at Gelang Petah, and I cycled over to his place a few times via the causeway.  That route is really quite horrible - squashed up on Upper BT Road, choking on the exhaust of motorcyclists, the highway up to Skudai then then a bumpy and hilly road through to GP.  Ineveitably I was caught in a rain storm at JB (it seems to rain a lot more across the causeway).  The reverse route from Skudai to JB was worse, with many dangerous turnoffs and merging lanes from the left.

The route from Tuas to downtown SG is pretty easy to cycle on weekends (no need to cycle the AYE xALmonN) so I thought I'd give it a go cycling from Galang Petah through to Tuas vias the 2nd link as an alternative to the Skudai-Woodlands route.  The leadup from Gelang Petah to the 2nd link is an expressway, with no alternate road available.  I cycled perhaps 20km along the expressway.  I knew it wasn't allowed, and I knew I would have trouble at SG immigration.  However I left early enough to have time for the 80-100km diversion should they sent me back via Woodlands.

The MY expressway made for a nice and safe ride.  The staff at the tollway and the MY checkpoint were all friendly as I passed through. When I reached SG I pretended to be one of the "bicycle tourers who have no clue about the regulations" and feigned tiredness and the impossibility of cycling all the way through Woodlands.  The fact remains that if SG immigration turned me back then they'd be sending me illegally onto the MY expressway.  Letting me through would send me straight through to Pioneer Road (legal to cycle on).  I was told that the Tuas checkpoint can not process pedestrians (the category cyclists fall under).  I asked if I could carry my bike up through where the bus passengers travel, but was told that wasn't a valid option.  Some officers looked seriously at me and I waited around for half an hour while they decided my fate.  They took my details and I promised not to do it again.  No problem for me - I now have a nice highlighted line on my map, and my friend no longer lives at Gelang Petah.

Going the other way, I think there's no hope in hell the SG checkpoint would let a cyclist go through to the MY expressway.  No point in lobbying either, unless you suggest MY build a cycling path beside the expressway.

Stay tuned for my report of cycling through the KPE :)

Senior Forumer
106 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2009 2:51 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by sabaisabai: This is my experience of cycling across the 2nd link from Malaysia to Singapore. 

A friend of mine used to live at Gelang Petah, and I cycled over to his place a few times via the causeway.  That route is really quite horrible - squashed up on Upper BT Road, choking on the exhaust of motorcyclists, the highway up to Skudai then then a bumpy and hilly road through to GP.  Ineveitably I was caught in a rain storm at JB (it seems to rain a lot more across the causeway).  The reverse route from Skudai to JB was worse, with many dangerous turnoffs and merging lanes from the left.

The route from Tuas to downtown SG is pretty easy to cycle on weekends (no need to cycle the AYE xALmonN) so I thought I'd give it a go cycling from Galang Petah through to Tuas vias the 2nd link as an alternative to the Skudai-Woodlands route.  The leadup from Gelang Petah to the 2nd link is an expressway, with no alternate road available.  I cycled perhaps 20km along the expressway.  I knew it wasn't allowed, and I knew I would have trouble at SG immigration.  However I left early enough to have time for the 80-100km diversion should they sent me back via Woodlands.

The MY expressway made for a nice and safe ride.  The staff at the tollway and the MY checkpoint were all friendly as I passed through. When I reached SG I pretended to be one of the "bicycle tourers who have no clue about the regulations" and feigned tiredness and the impossibility of cycling all the way through Woodlands.  The fact remains that if SG immigration turned me back then they'd be sending me illegally onto the MY expressway.  Letting me through would send me straight through to Pioneer Road (legal to cycle on).  I was told that the Tuas checkpoint can not process pedestrians (the category cyclists fall under).  I asked if I could carry my bike up through where the bus passengers travel, but was told that wasn't a valid option.  Some officers looked seriously at me and I waited around for half an hour while they decided my fate.  They took my details and I promised not to do it again.  No problem for me - I now have a nice highlighted line on my map, and my friend no longer lives at Gelang Petah.

Going the other way, I think there's no hope in hell the SG checkpoint would let a cyclist go through to the MY expressway.  No point in lobbying either, unless you suggest MY build a cycling path beside the expressway.

Stay tuned for my report of cycling through the KPE :)

"

You wanna cycle KPE? Don't do it... It's one of the worst places to cycle. Debris littered by the side, hot and not safe for cyclists especially if you wanna filter or you'll end up in the exit.

Senior Forumer
561 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2009 12:32 PM    Quote and Reply

My idea of a joke.. I don't fancy getting stuck in an expressway tunnel .. yikes.

Senior Forumer
106 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 3rd Oct 2009 1:53 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by sabaisabai: My idea of a joke.. I don't fancy getting stuck in an expressway tunnel .. yikes."

Good to hear because the KPE is as hot as hell... and that is not a joke.

Senior Forumer
561 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings