Topic: Need recommendations on upgrade + where to service a pre-owned bike

Posted on: 23rd May 2019 12:16 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi all,

I am new to the world of bicycles and just got myself a pre-own Tern Verge X20 in a pretty beat-up condition.
Not so much as the previous owner abuse it (he onl rode it once in the last couple of years) but more like it was left in a corner for a long time and had not see lights. 

My immediate concern of the bike would be to have a general servicing / re-lube / assessment done.

1. Any recommended bicycle shops that are good with foldies that can help with the above? I am in Punggol

2. The inner tube + tire definitely need a change, any particular brand/model inner tube + tire that you recommend? I typically ride on pathments or PCN, very seldom on the road.

3. As with any vehicle I purchase, my priority concern will always be safety. For a few years old bicycle, I think the
brake pad definitely needs to be replace, any recommendations?

4. Still on brakes, but this time on the brake levers and v-brake (i assume it is on a v-brake). The levers are Avid Speed Dial 7s, but I don't really like the feel of it, prefer something more sustantial and solid (i used to ride scramblers and the feel of a brake lever does make a difference to my ride), anything you guys recommend over the Avid Speed Dial 7? On the v-brake, I think it is a Kinetic Pro X, will it make sense for me to replace it with a Shimano Deore? Again, recommendations are very much appreciated.

5. Also looking at changing the brake and gear cables, again any recommendations?

6. I see some rusty screws on the bike and would like to replace them with titanium screws. Anyone knows where to get them?

7. I am not very used to the notion of having no kick-stands, are there any that I can use with the X20?

8. I know there will be wear and tear with the cranksets, cassettes and chain, how about the derailleurs?

Thanks in advance all!

Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Posted on: 23rd May 2019 12:24 AM    Quote and Reply

Also a noob question, how do i know if my wheels are 406 or 451?

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Posted on: 23rd May 2019 10:16 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by samuelgoh: Also a noob question, how do i know if my wheels are 406 or 451?"

U can measure the rim diameter. 
ISO 406 ( rim diameter of 406 )
ISO 451 (rim diameter of 451 )

Freshie Forumer
7 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 24th May 2019 12:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Tomei79:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by samuelgoh: Also a noob question, how do i know if my wheels are 406 or 451?"

U can measure the rim diameter. 
ISO 406 ( rim diameter of 406 )
ISO 451 (rim diameter of 451 )

"

Thank you! Measured and it is a 406!

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Posted on: 24th May 2019 3:57 PM    Quote and Reply

There's a bike shop at GL lor 40, the guy is very helpful and price is great 

Regular Forumer
26 posts

Posted on: 29th May 2019 11:49 AM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by samuelgoh:

Hi all,

I am new to the world of bicycles and just got myself a pre-own Tern Verge X20 in a pretty beat-up condition.
Not so much as the previous owner abuse it (he onl rode it once in the last couple of years) but more like it was left in a corner for a long time and had not see lights. 

My immediate concern of the bike would be to have a general servicing / re-lube / assessment done.

1. Any recommended bicycle shops that are good with foldies that can help with the above? I am in Punggol

2. The inner tube + tire definitely need a change, any particular brand/model inner tube + tire that you recommend? I typically ride on pathments or PCN, very seldom on the road.

3. As with any vehicle I purchase, my priority concern will always be safety. For a few years old bicycle, I think the

4. Still on brakes, but this time on the brake levers and v-brake (i assume it is on a v-brake). The levers are Avid Speed Dial 7s, but I don't really like the feel of it, prefer something more sustantial and solid (i used to ride scramblers and the feel of a brake lever does make a difference to my ride), anything you guys recommend over the Avid Speed Dial 7? On the v-brake, I think it is a Kinetic Pro X, will it make sense for me to replace it with a Shimano Deore? Again, recommendations are very much appreciated.

5. Also looking at changing the brake and gear cables, again any recommendations?

6. I see some rusty screws on the bike and would like to replace them with titanium screws. Anyone knows where to get them?

7. I am not very used to the notion of having no kick-stands, are there any that I can use with the X20?

8. I know there will be wear and tear with the cranksets, cassettes and chain, how about the derailleurs?

Thanks in advance all!

"
I am a road bike cyclist =rbc. But I went to Bike Stop recently to replace the bottom bracket, the rear derailler jockey wheels. Yesterday I just replace the chain, by myself. Hope this is helpful.

Regular Forumer
6,184 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Posted on: 2nd Jun 2019 9:11 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance all!

"
I am a road bike cyclist =rbc. But I went to Bike Stop recently to replace the bottom bracket, the rear derailler jockey wheels. Yesterday I just replace the chain, by myself. Hope this is helpful."
was it hard? Require a lot of special tools?

Regular Forumer
24 posts
Forum Rep: 2

Posted on: 2nd Jun 2019 9:22 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Bluesky3000:
Quote:
"Formerly posted by rbc1891:
Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance all!

"
I am a road bike cyclist =rbc. But I went to Bike Stop recently to replace the bottom bracket, the rear derailler jockey wheels. Yesterday I just replace the chain, by myself. Hope this is helpful."
was it hard? Require a lot of special tools?"
Bike Stop have those dedicated tools for the job.

Regular Forumer
6,184 posts
Forum Rep: 42

Singapore
Login to see your Forum Rankings