Topic: Need advice for selection of disc brakes

Posted on: 15th Aug 2018 12:28 AM    Quote and Reply

I am currently riding the Tern Cargo Node, frequently carrying my daughter along. The stock disc brakes gave up and I like to replace them. 

The riding weight (me and my daughter and child seat etc) will be in excess of 100kg. 

What will be a pair of disc brake set that has good power, modulation and reliable/hassle free? 
I prefer mineral oil options and does not need to change out my 24" stock rims. I will appreciate tool-less adjustments. 

Thanks.
Senior Forumer
323 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Australia
Posted on: 15th Aug 2018 3:32 AM    Quote and Reply

Hmm when i looked up the specs of your bike i am shocked to learn that for a not so cheap bike, they chose to slap on Promax Hydros *gasps* My 1st "serious" bike was a MTB and it only had Acera class Shimano Hydros and moving on from rim brakes i was floored by how dependable they were especially in wet conditions and i recalled little to no maintenance done 1st 2 years! IMHO you can get better performance either by a) A mid/high end Shimano/Tektro/Magura hydros b) Swap to a larger diameter rotor? Bigger = more braking/stopping power

Regular Forumer
172 posts
Forum Rep: 27

Singapore
Posted on: 16th Aug 2018 8:14 AM    Quote and Reply

Is there anything between Shimano and Magura for disc brakes?
Maybe XT or Saint vs MT7?

Bigger rotors needs to offset e calipers right? Does it come standard? 
Rotors are standard across brands?

Senior Forumer
323 posts

Australia
Posted on: 16th Aug 2018 9:52 AM    Quote and Reply

Perhaps Fred Flintstone can brake better with his feet

Don't see how a bigger brake disc (rotor) can be much more effective than a standand disc in a bicycle given the weight and speed. I would go for bigger brake pad instead.

Regular Forumer
68 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 16th Aug 2018 10:19 AM    Quote and Reply

Larger rotor means that the brake torque is higher is the same force is applied on it as compared to a small rotor. This is because brake torque is directly proportional to radius of the rotor.

https://www.engineersedge.com/mechanics_machines/braking_torque_13635.htm

Regular Forumer
82 posts
Forum Rep: 6

Riding:
Posted on: 16th Aug 2018 10:38 AM    Quote and Reply

I would agree if use in car or motorcycle which are much more faster to have larger effective braking radius and bigger disc has better heat dissipation to avoid fuild boiling. i would think all these are just marketing gimmicks. The same technilogy applied in bicycle are at least 3 times more expensive than in other vechicles

Regular Forumer
68 posts
Forum Rep: 10

Riding:
Posted on: 16th Aug 2018 5:39 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by polar_dreamer: Is there anything between Shimano and Magura for disc brakes?
Maybe XT or Saint vs MT7?

Bigger rotors needs to offset e calipers right? Does it come standard? 
Rotors are standard across brands?

"

Not sure about your bike but might need an adaptor for bigger rotors and though they they are standard the way they fasten to hubs vary? Check if your bike hub uses bolts or "centerlock" to fasten rotors in ^^

Regular Forumer
172 posts
Forum Rep: 27

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Aug 2018 10:04 PM    Quote and Reply

Decided to get a set of XT. Thanks.

Senior Forumer
323 posts

Australia
Login to see your Forum Rankings