Topic: Punctured tyre, Tern Link D7i

Posted on: 26th Jan 2016 8:14 PM    Quote and Reply

Hey folks, I'm clueless about bikes, and my Tern Link D7i (with Shimano Nexus internal Hub in the rear wheel) has a puncture in the rear tyre because it goes flat very quickly.  Need help,

1. Does this mean I need to replace the rear tyre? With puncture car tyres, I know that there are shops that can find the location of the leak and patch it - is it not worthwhile for bike tyres and should just be replaced?

2. Does the Nexus internal hub make any difference to what kind of tyre I can replace it with?

3. According to http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/473/link-d7i, my current tyres are "Schwalbe Big Apple, 50-406, puncture protection, Reflex". These are 20 x 2.00 balloonbike tyres.  I know that I must get 20" replacement tyres, but do they have to be x 2.00 as well? In fact, should I just get the exact same tyres, or something else?  

Where should I buy the replacement, and how much do bike shops normally charge for the labour to do the replacement?

Thanks! ^_^
Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Jan 2016 8:48 PM    Quote and Reply

-Hub makes no difference 
- probably only need a new tube unless the tire has a big split in it or is very worn
- $10 ish at any bike shop
- oh and any one who rides a bike needs to learn how to fix a flat tire.

Regular Forumer
2,624 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jan 2016 10:45 AM    Quote and Reply

As bro Zappadeedoohdah mentioned, any LBS can change the inner tube for you, no need to change entire tire.
Go to YouTube and search for videos on changing bike's inner tube. I learn how to change mine from there (yes, I'm still a noob when it comes to bike DIY)

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 37

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 27th Jan 2016 3:17 PM    Quote and Reply

Thank you both.

I went to L&T, was charged $8 to change the tube.

No doubt you are correct that cyclists should learn to fix flat tyre.I did check out a youtube video on doing so last night - thought I should be able to do it, but don't really have some of those tools (like that plastic spudger-like thing for prying the tyre). After watching the nice guy at L&T figure out how to unhook some wires, release the brakes, detach the wheel, check the old tube for the location of the puncture, current rims and tyre for sharp edges and roadworthiness, put everything back together again (some parts of which were not covered in the video)... I guess I should be able to do it again. But I also think the $8 was well spent.

Regular Forumer
12 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jan 2016 3:44 PM    Quote and Reply

LOL wait for it to happen at 9:30 at night when all is closed, and you are in the middle of nowhere as it invariably does then you'll wish that you knew how to do it and had a spare tube, tire levers and a pump or CO2 inflator with you. I have a dedicated set kept on all my bikes. So I don't have to remember to bring it.

i forgot to bring a spare tube for my kids 24" bike the other day and Guess what, puncture!! Luckily someone cruising past had a spare he sold me.

Regular Forumer
2,624 posts
Forum Rep: 235

Singapore
Posted on: 27th Jan 2016 8:09 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: LOL wait for it to happen at 9:30 at night when all is closed, and you are in the middle of nowhere as it invariably does then you'll wish that you knew how to do it and had a spare tube, tire levers and a pump or CO2 inflator with you. I have a dedicated set kept on all my bikes. So I don't have to remember to bring it.

i forgot to bring a spare tube for my kids 24" bike the other day and Guess what, puncture!! Luckily someone cruising past had a spare he sold me."

you are very lucky. for a 24'' spare tube are less common here.

Regular Forumer
1,372 posts
Forum Rep: 23

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings