Topic: Changing to Belt Chain for Vert V8

Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 8:10 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi guys!

Been lurking here for quite a while, and when I just got myself and my wife a Vert V8 and a Java Fit, my first inclination is to zhng them. :D

I'm no expert in the world of bicycling, so I would need your advice: Could/Should I change my chain to a belt system ala Gates Carbon Drive? Heard the great stuff about the belt system (the low maintenance is a huuuuuuuge plus), and I'm really tempted to try!

My Vert V8 uses a Shimano Tourney TX 7 gear hub.

Thanks so much!
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 12:56 PM    Quote and Reply

Not so sure about such conversion, but seems like a whole long shopping list of items that need changing. Suggest you do some homework first before you embark on it.
I did read up before on compatibility issue, might be the rear OLD limitation due to frame. But that might be chain convert shaft driven, can't remember

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 1:54 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by SgtJoe86: Not so sure about such conversion, but seems like a whole long shopping list of items that need changing. Suggest you do some homework first before you embark on it.
I did read up before on compatibility issue, might be the rear OLD limitation due to frame. But that might be chain convert shaft driven, can't remember :p"

Thanks a lot, SgtJoe86! :)

I suspected that I would probably need to do a lot of changing of other components to upgrade the chain too. Was hoping for a confirmation so that I can plan my budget for the zhng-ing. 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 2:23 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by gnimiy: 
Thanks a lot, SgtJoe86! :)

I suspected that I would probably need to do a lot of changing of other components to upgrade the chain too. Was hoping for a confirmation so that I can plan my budget for the zhng-ing. "

Well, simplified version off my head is two groups: wheelset and groupset

To go into details:
- Rear Wheel and Hub
- Chain/Belt tensioner
- Crankset and Bottom Bracket
- Shifters
- Brakes calipers and levers (may not be necessary)

End of the day, there's still the frame compatibility. That is beyond my current level of knowledge, so go forth and explore

Regular Forumer
178 posts
Forum Rep: 36

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 3:01 PM    Quote and Reply

I briefly looked into a gates belt drive for my hardtail mtb tourer when I got a Rohloff hub and decided against it as my frame would have needed the rear stays breaking and rewelding so I ditched the idea at the outset.
my two pennies worth:
-if your bike has the conventional vertical rear dropouts for derailleur gears you have no way of tensioning the drive belt, you cannot run an external tensioner with a belt drive. I think that this may be a showstopper, someone may have figured out a way to do it but having seen one set up they require significantly more belt tension than a chain does so I doubt it.
-if you want run the bike anything other than single speed or fixed gear you will need to buy an Internally geared hub, you can't use derailleur gears with them
-you will need a new crank compatible with  chainrings as. I think yours is riveted.
- from what I Have seen belt drives seem much more sensitive to chain line / alignment than chains.

Even if it is going to be possible I think it will be very expensive.

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 3:21 PM    Quote and Reply

Oh wow... That's really informative! Thanks guys! I will also go read up more!

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 11th Jan 2016 11:11 PM    Quote and Reply

If you have vertical dropouts, you can (have to!) use an eccentric bottom bracket to tension the belt.

At least wth the V8 frame design, you will not need to separate the frame to get the belt on and off.

Regular Forumer
70 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 12th Jan 2016 1:48 AM    Quote and Reply

I read mixed reviews of using standard 24mm x 68mm EBB's like exzentriker with Belt drives when I was looking at this. They need something like 35lb of tension in the belt, there were quite a few reports of problems of regular belt dropping with this set up - could be that the frames were too flexi - FWIW gates state that the frame should be designed for the belt drive

if your frame is steel you could always get sliding drop outs welded in for a few hundred $, probably less than an EBB they are something like 200 euro + shipping

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Login to see your Forum Rankings