Topic: Advice on entry level hybrid bike

Posted on: 31st Dec 2015 11:15 AM    Quote and Reply

I am looking to spend about $400-500~ on an entry level hybrid bike. 

So I'm hoping to get some seasoned advice on bike models! I've cycled alot (on a 15 year-old MTB lol) but this is my first bike purchase so I want to make an informed decision. So far I've shortlisted two models:

1) Polygon Path 2 (2016) for $499 first-hand
2) Giant Escape 3 (2016) at low $400s second-hand

Is it true that Polygon bikes tend to have better components for the price? I understand that first hand bikes from 'bigger' brands like Giant and Trek would cost me more but are they really worth the extra dough? Are there any other bikes in this price range that are worth looking out for?

I do not care about what logo my bike has. Just want a bike that gives great value for my dollar. Looking for a hybrid that is more road-like than MTB-like (with those suspensions). I've been advised to just go for a road bike with flat bars (Polygon Helios F1) but I would hate to not be able to run over the occasional grass or light gravel. Might use this for commuting to work as well. 

I'll be dropping by shops in the following days to test out bikes but I thought it would be good to throw this question out for some expert comments! Thank you!
Freshie Forumer
3 posts
Forum Rep: 1

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Dec 2015 11:48 AM    Quote and Reply

Hi Bro...

I bought my hybrid Schwinn Searcher 3 from Cheap John.
You can check out the outlet as they have a wide variety.

When I ride i know that my FATs are CRYING.
Regular Forumer
25 posts

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Dec 2015 12:45 PM    Quote and Reply

Thank you. I'll check that out! 

I live closer to the West though. All the nicer bike shops seem to be in the east! :/

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 31st Dec 2015 2:09 PM    Quote and Reply

wouldnt recommend hybrid with suspension forks and mech disc brakes as its suppose to be lighter than MTB & the brakes more suitable and easy to service. for hybrid  i would go for non-sus fork as you so not need to service or check on the springs in it. V-brake or calliper brakes for easy maintenance and overall the bike should be lighter than a regular MTB. 

for your budget, the polygon path 2 is more ideal.save the extra cash for other stuff like lights, helmet and gloves.

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 31st Dec 2015 4:44 PM    Quote and Reply

I'm avoiding suspensions as I'm tired of lugging the exam training weight of my MTB.

I've also noticed that the polygon path 2 has 24 speed gears compared to 21 on the giant escape, is having 24 gears necessarily 'better'? 

Freshie Forumer
3 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 1st Jan 2016 1:50 AM    Quote and Reply

yes, it does affect climbing a bit, but not really noticable if u are not hardcore. Of course in my opinion, its more value for $$$ and u can swap to 9 or 10 speed without needing to pay for a new wheelset, if u decide to upgrade in future

Regular Forumer
871 posts
Forum Rep: 102

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings