Topic: Some questions on chain breaking and re-joining

Posted on: 15th Dec 2015 3:33 PM    Quote and Reply

1. Is it true that when a chain is re-joined, the re-joined link becomes a weak link and the chain should be replaced as soon as possible?

2. My chain is now a set of links shorter so my rear derailleur now doesn't 'coil up' as much as it did before when the chain's shifted to the smallest cog. Does this have any negative effects on my rear derailleur?

My chain's two links shorter as I misjudged and ended up pushing an entire pin out. Had to remove a set of links and re-join it that way. Actually, I had to break and re-join it a second time because I didn't thread the chain correctly through the derailleur properly the first time.

I can still get all the gears (2x8 speed) though. Just that the chain and in fact the entire bike is quite new and I hope to be able to ride it more before changing the chain.

It's a 20-inch-wheeled foldie with a 53/39T dual-chainring, a 11-32T 8-speed cassette, a basic 8-speed KMC chain, Microshift front mech and SRAM X-4 rear mech, if anyone's wondering.
Regular Forumer
706 posts
Forum Rep: 13

Singapore
Riding:
Posted on: 15th Dec 2015 3:46 PM    Quote and Reply

Why don't you get a chain link connector instead?  KMC makes a "missing link" for 8-speed chains.  They're easy to open and close if you need to take your chain off later for any reason.  Be sure to get the right one to match your chain (different for 8, 9, 10, and 11 speed chains).

Regular Forumer
70 posts
Forum Rep: 7

Singapore
Posted on: 15th Dec 2015 3:52 PM    Quote and Reply

Yup intending to get that but just this time around I did it on the spur of the moment (usually I wash my bike with everything still attached, but for this foldie it's barely ridden so the other components are squeaky clean) and didn't have one at the time. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Intending to get that as well as the Shimano equivalent for my MTB when I next change my MTB's 10-speed chain since it's old and will be due for a change soon.

Regular Forumer
706 posts
Forum Rep: 13

Singapore
Riding:
Login to see your Forum Rankings