Topic: Caliper Brakes for my Raleigh mv8*

Posted on: 19th Sep 2015 3:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Hey guys! 

I got a raleigh mv8 currently on flat bar and  setup, looking for an upgrade to dropbar and hence wanted to change my v brakes to caliper brakes. but the reach seems too much for most caliper brakes, will tektro R559 fit?

Any bros out there performed similar modification to their raleigh before?

Appreciate any help! Thanks all! =DDD
Freshie Forumer
8 posts
Forum Rep: 0

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Sep 2015 4:03 PM    Quote and Reply

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Sep 2015 4:28 PM    Quote and Reply

Your best options are cantilever brakes or mini V brakes or a travel agent from problem solvers that allows you to use standard V brakes with the shorter pull STIs. Roadie calipers won't fit on that frame with out a lot of messing about with adapters and the like+ they will limit your tire and rim choices.

BTW I have read people on line saying that the newer generation Shimano STI's ultegra 6700 or later work with standard V brakes as Shimano increased the cable pull, I have tried this with Avid Single Digit 7 V brakes on my CX bike and my experience is that they don't. The CX70 cantilevers I have are 10 x better than the v's with STIs

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 19th Sep 2015 4:50 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by Zappadeedoohdah: Your best options are cantilever brakes or mini V brakes or a travel agent from problem solvers that allows you to use standard V brakes with the shorter pull STIs. Roadie calipers won't fit on that frame with out a lot of messing about with adapters and the like+ they will limit your tire and rim choices.

BTW I have read people on line saying that the newer generation Shimano STI's ultegra 6700 or later work with standard V brakes as Shimano increased the cable pull, I have tried this with Avid Single Digit 7 V brakes on my CX bike and my experience is that they don't. The CX70 cantilevers I have are 10 x better than the v's with STIs"

Thanks for the quick reply!
For thecantilever brakes, do will any do or are there only a few specific ones I can use? Thanks  again!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 19th Sep 2015 5:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Pretty much any canti that fits on V brake bosses will do. I recommend the Shimano CX70 as they are adjustable to take any size of rim you want. They also take standard Dura Ace pads so you can get aftermarket pads such as koolstop which are much better than stock. The CX50s do neither.

Note that you will need to buy a front and rear cable stop if going for cantilever brakes Which can be tricky in SG; Sulaiman at the Rebound Centre can get them or may have in stock.
TR bikes used to have problem solvers stuff, you can try them for Travel Mates or you can get online. That would be cheapest as you can use your current V brakes 

Regular Forumer
2,625 posts
Forum Rep: 234

Posted on: 21st Sep 2015 6:04 PM    Quote and Reply

hi;

Iirc, yes the longest reach tektro brakes probably will work.

best for you to get an old pair and then do a test fit.

*using a tektro r559 on a modified folding bike and drop bars

Regular Forumer
112 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 21st Sep 2015 10:32 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by joule: hi;

Iirc, yes the longest reach tektro brakes probably will work.

best for you to get an old pair and then do a test fit.

*using a tektro r559 on a modified folding bike and drop bars

"

Aright! Thanks for your input bro!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 23rd Sep 2015 5:10 PM    Quote and Reply

Decided to get travel agents in the end, along with 105 shifters.
Thanks to all bros who helped. Will update if succesful

Next upgrade Im considering.... FD! (From mv10 to mv20!)

The poison game is strong!

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 24th Sep 2015 12:17 PM    Quote and Reply

you can try upgrading the wheels

the stock wheels on the mv8 suck

and by the way, you need some special machining for the front deraileur to work properly (or as smooth as a road bike) if you really wish to go 20s. it's because of the different geometry of the mini velo.

Sulaiman of the Rebound Centre (only he) can machine out something for you.

good luck, have fun.

try going 56t on the front, that should give you a workout

edit* disclaimer

I am not personally aware that the front D needs a special adaptor, but a friend of mine who is waaaay more into MVs than me has done that with his front D on his MV8 - turning it into a MV20

Regular Forumer
112 posts
Forum Rep: 11

Singapore
Posted on: 26th Sep 2015 5:51 PM    Quote and Reply

Any idea what is the bottom bracket dimension?

Freshie Forumer
2 posts

Singapore
Posted on: 17th Oct 2015 9:59 PM    Quote and Reply

Quote:
"Formerly posted by spawnbl: Any idea what is the bottom bracket dimension?"

68mm English threaded.

Freshie Forumer
8 posts

Singapore